RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Adding text layers with Gimp 2.0

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Adding text layers with Gimp 2.0 JCA 27 Sep 02:59
Adding text layers with Gimp 2.0 William Skaggs 27 Sep 21:37
Adding text layers with Gimp 2.0 JCA 28 Sep 22:01
JCA
2004-09-27 02:59:53 UTC (over 19 years ago)

I hope that somebody can provide some help here, because this is driving me up the wall.

I am starting from an image that consists simply of a single layer, a black background. I want to add some white text on this background. So, I select the background layer, and then the text tool (T in the toolbox.) With this, I click on the black background and, sure enough, the little text window, where I can type my text, pops up. Here is where the problems begin.

Most of the times, when I type some text in the text window, I get nothing on the background, and not text layer is added. However, some other times, mysteriously (to me) the text layer is added and, yes! I can see my text appearing on the background, as I type it in the text window.

What are the steps that guarantee this successful result everyt time. I find it very frustrating, as you can imagine, that this sometimes works, and I don't yet know why that is the case. What usually happens is that I try it first, and it doesn't work, as described above. Then, in frustration, I start clicking with the mouse just above everywhere, and touching different buttons till, all of a sudden, things work as expected.

Suggestions, anyone?

William Skaggs
2004-09-27 21:37:35 UTC (over 19 years ago)

JCA wrote:
. . .

Most of the times, when I type some text in the text window, I get nothing on the background, and not text layer is added.

. . .

This doesn't match any widely reported bug I know about. Of course if you type black text on a black background, you won't see the text, but you should still see the layer boundary in yellow even in that case.

Because I, and very likely other developers, don't see this problem ourselves, we will need more information to be able to say anything useful. The most important information you could give would be a recipe that reliably and repeatedly reproduces the problem. If you can come up with one, it would also be important to give complete details about your GIMP installation: what version you're using, what OS, and other possibly relevant factors.

One possible explanation is font problems, but that can't be pinned down based on the information you've provided.

Best, -- Bill

______________ ______________ ______________ ______________ Sent via the KillerWebMail system at primate.ucdavis.edu

JCA
2004-09-28 22:01:33 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Most of the times, when I type some text in the text window, I get nothing on the background, and not text layer is added. . . .

This doesn't match any widely reported bug I know about. Of course if you type black text on a black background, you won't see the text, but you should still see the layer boundary in yellow even in that case.

It is most certainly not a bug; it's just that I am a nitwit: I wanted to add the layer to the background layer, and the latter was not selected. Please, accept my apologies.