RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

automatic resize of open versus save dialogs: bug?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

automatic resize of open versus save dialogs: bug? olivier ripoll 23 Sep 13:10
  automatic resize of open versus save dialogs: bug? Sven Neumann 23 Sep 14:04
olivier ripoll
2004-09-23 13:10:59 UTC (over 19 years ago)

I am wondering if it is worth opening a bug for this minor UI bug:

I have noticed that with 2.1.5 "open file" dialog (and at least also 2.1.4), the window is resized when the arrow-folding-widget (*) for file type (or is it for advanced options, I do not remember) is clicked/unfolded. This resize is fine. However when the options are folded back, the window does not resize back. On the other hand, the behaviour in the "save as" dialog is different. When the options are folded, the window resizes back to its original dimension. So I suspect this is not supposed to be this way for the "open" dialog.

What's your opinion? Is it worth a bug report? Is there already one I have missed (I have not found any but...)? I have the feeling that only crashes should be reported for 2.1.x.

Regards,

Olivier.

PS: sorry if I am not clear :/

(*) sorry I do not know the name of this widget. It is an arrow pointing right that points down after being clicked, with new options added under the arrow. It looks like the tree view of the old MacOS finder. There is one in the "open file" dialog, one is the "new file" dialog and two in the "save as" dialog.

Sven Neumann
2004-09-23 14:04:48 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi,

olivier ripoll writes:

I am wondering if it is worth opening a bug for this minor UI bug:

I have noticed that with 2.1.5 "open file" dialog (and at least also 2.1.4), the window is resized when the arrow-folding-widget (*) for file type (or is it for advanced options, I do not remember) is clicked/unfolded. This resize is fine. However when the options are folded back, the window does not resize back. On the other hand, the behaviour in the "save as" dialog is different. When the options are folded, the window resizes back to its original dimension. So I suspect this is not supposed to be this way for the "open" dialog.

This is a GTK+ problem which is not trivial to solve. Only dialogs that are not resizable collapse when the expander is closed. If the dialog is resizable, it will not automatically shrink with the expander. So we have three choices here:

(1) Make the dialog not-resizable. This would suck since you couldn't enlarge the dialog any longer to get a larger file list.

(2) Do what we've done and live with the dialog not folding back.

(3) Do what the GTK+ developers did for the Save dialog and implement a custom resize behaviour for this dialog. This would add a lot of ugly and hard to maintain code.

We have decided to go for solution (2). There isn't anything important in the expander anyway. Most GIMP users will never have to use the File Type selection; the automatic file-type detection should almost always work good enough.

Sven