RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Desperate for help!

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Desperate for help! Martin Mciver 18 Sep 17:34
  Desperate for help! Heikki Jussila 18 Sep 17:53
   Desperate for help! Steve Kinney 18 Sep 18:22
Martin Mciver
2014-09-18 17:34:39 UTC (over 9 years ago)

Desperate for help!

Hi There,

Please I hope you can help. I spent hours cutting out an image, I added the alpha channell when I was done, and it seemed to delete the image I need and left the background which I do not need.

I have tried everything, including undoing my history through the edit panel.

Is there any way to retrieve my image? I still have it selected, but the cut out shape is just showing as Alpha Channel.

I will not close GIMP until I get a reply, so please help - Massive Thanks in advance

All the best,

Martin

Heikki Jussila
2014-09-18 17:53:58 UTC (over 9 years ago)

Desperate for help!

Sorry to hear your problems.

Do you have the image as a background or is it done with layers?

If it is on the background try looking at http://docs.gimp.org/en/plug-in-colortoalpha.html if it is possible to sort things out.

Usually you should use a layer for alpha channel and never only the background, since that (especially if you choose a color that is most used to alpha) makes that color transparent and so those parts of the image become "invisible" although they for the program do still exist).

Hope that helps. I have not used much alpha channel but when I have I have always used it to a background layer before aplying copied the my image to a layer above the background.

Good luck, Heikki Jussila

--
Heikki Jussila
via Matteotti 6 int. 8
I-56124 Pisa (PI)
ITALIA
--
mobile: +39 335 5352917

On 18 September 2014 19:34, Martin Mciver wrote:

Hi There,

Please I hope you can help. I spent hours cutting out an image, I added the alpha channell when I was done, and it seemed to delete the image I need and left the background which I do not need.

I have tried everything, including undoing my history through the edit panel.

Is there any way to retrieve my image? I still have it selected, but the cut out shape is just showing as Alpha Channel.

I will not close GIMP until I get a reply, so please help - Massive Thanks in advance

All the best,

Martin _______________________________________________ gimp-user-list mailing list
List address: gimp-user-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list

Steve Kinney
2014-09-18 18:22:13 UTC (over 9 years ago)

Desperate for help!

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE----- Hash: SHA1

There are a couple of things you can do. First, save the file in progress with some name like Recovery.xcf, so things can't get worse than they are now.

Then fix it the simple way:

Do Edit > Undo, or Control+z, and check your results. Keep doing this until the image content you deleted reappears. Then, odds are that doing Select > Invert, followed by Delete, will give you the results you wanted.

A slightly less simple way:

Add the original image file you started with to the image in progress as a new layer. Select the layer that the content you wanted to cut out vanished from, and in the Layers dialog do Alpha To Selection. In the main menu do Selection > Invert. Then select the layer that is your original picture, and do Control+x (or Edit > Delete) and you should get the result you originally intended.

:o)

Steve

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE----- Version: GnuPG v1.4.14 (GNU/Linux)

iQIcBAEBAgAGBQJUGyLUAAoJEDZ0Gg87KR0L0QMQAJ9G8LyenZFBmdTzvIDLSvsu HM7XN3aq7gBx+C7BvF8Kz6oj/mxHkR5W4uHgDwa7C3o2Q7m5LbWTl+7Zl3zSxFMm bmSj25sl+iDcs9NARpPcD5mNpv4DikOew0yIbwIcxC5tykk5N7+KP1ZOMeqHrEKX MW/0OXpJWC6b92JoBnMXUuv1t4YLHkpqoAndwRqlhgt2FY1GPLkl8bx4a10+WscI Lc18bLB3xl47lDxI8MlKusimApvradqqncli2DxlSqKX4R0u6C8ktZKSUoTK2STW kYIYKkuVj9TCVa26O8S/3B3ffEWcUznfxKX2PdYMUCbIKBCfIuyC2DWRvqpnF/hd oCxjsW/wwmJoFiWWudhD4zLNoBAKyK2c53O8l4CcOKMVOvgWvQc86nAy6e9GJpy5 IgzwGVVtQXNykOD/qMNLb2zGE8Xu18vkGD86/pbwgbURKHnwjl6QVWbUM0yheMT4 I9dbTpJ2PcI5g+R49n47OEaKoQLfEakya5QxwoBh3/ZzvatoUtp79JxiPhVaVLP9 BtRMgwwzglvDOcRE9lBEKM0MiguhX24ntY5x0UXuF+klFuJaSVDaiyGgqv4ucJoL 6lUuAg0QFn9cTzAWfLjEXmJv/cTv/iUeTp0f16RplohMT1ze52chUWUncoz/PV6R xyTNpX+mV1tkJhxAxlkk
=YK4N
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----