RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

G'MIC Dream Smoothing filter

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

G'MIC Dream Smoothing filter kentlytle 07 Aug 04:53
  G'MIC Dream Smoothing filter Ofnuts 07 Aug 07:26
   G'MIC Dream Smoothing filter kentlytle 07 Aug 08:01
    G'MIC Dream Smoothing filter Liam R E Quin 07 Aug 11:21
2014-08-07 04:53:35 UTC (over 9 years ago)
postings

Hello:

I need to be able to apply the Dream Smoothing filter to relatively large image sizes, 100 to 200 megabytes.

Currently it works well on relatively small images, 500 kb to 1000 kb.

I have tried to use the Oil Paint filter in PhotoShop which produces similar effects, but it has similar file size limitations also.

Does anyone know how to get in contact with the filter's author, Arto Huotari? I haven't been able to find his e-mail address on-line.

I need to find someone who knows how to change the filter's algorithm to work with larger file sizes.

I do not have any programming background. I would like to hire someone capable of doing this for me.

Kind regards, Kent

Ofnuts
2014-08-07 07:26:58 UTC (over 9 years ago)

On 07/08/14 06:53, kentlytle wrote:

Hello:

I need to be able to apply the Dream Smoothing filter to relatively large image sizes, 100 to 200 megabytes.

Currently it works well on relatively small images, 500 kb to 1000 kb.

I have tried to use the Oil Paint filter in PhotoShop which produces similar effects, but it has similar file size limitations also.

Does anyone know how to get in contact with the filter's author, Arto Huotari? I haven't been able to find his e-mail address on-line.

I need to find someone who knows how to change the filter's algorithm to work with larger file sizes.

I do not have any programming background. I would like to hire someone capable of doing this for me.

Kind regards, Kent

An image size is expressed in pixels, not in bytes of file space, because this depends too much on compression algorithms and actual image contents.

Since 500k-1MB is the usual disk space size for JPEG images around 4Mpx, we will assume you are talking about 800Mpx images (25000x25000), 4GB once loaded....

I don't think changing the algorithm is going to help much. What can be done is cut your image into smaller images of manageable size (with possibly some overlap), apply the filter on each and then blend the results.

Otherwise the GMIC authors hang out on gimpchat.com and on flickr (https://www.flickr.com/groups/gmic/discuss)

2014-08-07 08:01:43 UTC (over 9 years ago)
postings

An image size is expressed in pixels, not in bytes of file space, because this depends too much on compression algorithms and actual image
contents.

Since 500k-1MB is the usual disk space size for JPEG images around 4Mpx,
we will assume you are talking about 800Mpx images (25000x25000), 4GB once loaded....

I don't think changing the algorithm is going to help much. What can be
done is cut your image into smaller images of manageable size (with possibly some overlap), apply the filter on each and then blend the results.

Otherwise the GMIC authors hang out on gimpchat.com and on flickr (https://www.flickr.com/groups/gmic/discuss)

Thank you very much for your reply to my query.

Sorry about the incorrect expression for image size. The image I am working on right now is 10328 pixels x 7760 pixels, about 69" x 52" (175 cm x 132 cm) at 150 pixels per inch, 230 mb in uncompressed RAW format.

Unfortunately applying the filter on smaller segments of the image then merging them does not work as it would for a filter that produces an even effect over all. The "flowing" pixel effect this filter produces results in unique patterns for each segment and there is no cohesiveness to the patterns when pieces are reassembled.

I have posted my query on gimpchat.com as well.

Thank you again for your input.

Liam R E Quin
2014-08-07 11:21:40 UTC (over 9 years ago)

On Thu, 07 Aug 2014 10:01:43 +0200 kentlytle wrote:
[...]

The image I am working on
right now is 10328 pixels x 7760 pixels,[...]

This doesn't sound too large; what environment -- operating system and version, gimp version, g'mic version, how much memory, how much swap space (if Linux, OS X, Solaris etc. the top or htop commands are often easy ways to get this info, or "free").

What happens exactly when you try running the filter?

E.g. if g'mic crashes do you have a stack trace?

For contacting the author did you try looking on http://gmic.sourceforge.net/ ?

Liam Quin - XML Activity Lead, W3C, http://www.w3.org/People/Quin/
Pictures from old books: http://fromoldbooks.org/