RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

How do you remove halos?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 5 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

How do you remove halos? Nu2Gimp 09 Jul 13:25
  How do you remove halos? Nu2Gimp 09 Jul 13:29
  How do you remove halos? Ofnuts 09 Jul 19:42
   How do you remove halos? Nu2Gimp 10 Jul 02:43
    How do you remove halos? Ofnuts 11 Jul 23:58
2014-07-09 13:25:44 UTC (almost 10 years ago)
postings

How do you remove halos?

Hi Everyone,

I'm very new at using Gimp. I haven't been using it for a week yet. Right now, I'm using the paint brush to outline objects then fill in the colors. I'm doing this all on a transparency.

Sometimes the fill tool doesn't fill in the entire area that is blocked in by the paint strokes. I have to go around the edges with the paint brush and fill in the rest of the color. What could be causing this?

When I'm ready to export them, the images look OK in Gimp. But once I export them, the black paint brush lines have halos around them.

Are there some settings I need to make before I import images into Gimp or export them to my desktop? I'm working with jpg images.

The thing I don't get is that with the first 2 images I worked on, I didn't have the halo issue. I didn't change any settings. What could have happened?

If anyone can help me with:

1. Making it so the entire area I have outlined with the paint brush is filled in with the fill tool

2. Getting rid of the white halo lines around the areas with the brush tool lines

I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

2014-07-09 13:29:24 UTC (almost 10 years ago)
postings

How do you remove halos?

Hi Everyone,

I'm very new at using Gimp. I haven't been using it for a week yet. Right now, I'm using the paint brush to outline objects then fill in the colors. I'm doing this all on a transparency.

Sometimes the fill tool doesn't fill in the entire area that is blocked in by the paint strokes. I have to go around the edges with the paint brush and fill in the rest of the color. What could be causing this?

When I'm ready to export them, the images look OK in Gimp. But once I export them, the black paint brush lines have halos around them.

Are there some settings I need to make before I import images into Gimp or export them to my desktop? I'm working with jpg images.

The thing I don't get is that with the first 2 images I worked on, I didn't have the halo issue. I didn't change any settings. What could have happened?

1. Making it so the entire area I have outlined with the paint brush is filled in with the fill tool

2. Getting rid of the white halo lines around the areas with the brush tool lines

Thanks!

I'm adding more here as I am about to leave and will not be able to post photos for a while:

To show you how it looks when I'm drawing in Gimp, I've attached some images:

1. The first attachment is of the image taken as a screenshot, cropped in Paint and saved as a png. No halo issues.

2. The second attachment is of the image exported from Gimp as a jpg. Halo issues. I also saved it as a png to see if this would make a difference. It didn't.

3. Fill issues can be seen:

a. around the edges of the eyebrows - I actually used the paint brush to add color near the edges.

b. eyes - same as eyebrows

c. lower lip - same as with the eyebrows and eyes. I will have to use the paint brush to fill in the rest of the lower lip.

d. upper lip - cannot use fill tool to add color. When I try to do this the whole mouth, including the outline fills in the with color. (see third attachment) I will have to used the paint brush to add color.

Ofnuts
2014-07-09 19:42:01 UTC (almost 10 years ago)

How do you remove halos?

On 09/07/14 15:25, Nu2Gimp wrote:

Hi Everyone,

Thanks!

The "halo" is "anti-aliasing" pixels that are not painted because they have an intermediate color, and the fill tool will either completely paint a pixel, or not paint it at all. For a complete explanation, and the good methods, see Proper subject extraction, background removal, and background painting

2014-07-10 02:43:23 UTC (almost 10 years ago)
postings

How do you remove halos?

The "halo" is "anti-aliasing" pixels that are not painted because they have an intermediate color, and the fill tool will either completely paint a pixel, or not paint it at all. For a complete explanation, and
the good methods, see Proper subject extraction, background removal, and
background painting

This is confusing for me as a beginner. Although I always want to know why something is done and how it works, after a 12 hour day at work and in traffic, I just want to know step 1, 2, 3... Is there somewhere I can find instructions like this?

Thanks for your help.

Ofnuts
2014-07-11 23:58:59 UTC (almost 10 years ago)

How do you remove halos?

On 10/07/14 04:43, Nu2Gimp wrote:

This is confusing for me as a beginner. Although I always want to know why something is done and how it works, after a 12 hour day at work and in traffic, I just want to know step 1, 2, 3... Is there somewhere I can find instructions like this?

If you are working on a transparent background:

When filling colors, at the top of the Tool options dialog for the paint tool, set the paint tool "Mode" to "Behind", to make it "fill the transparency" and leave the rest untouched. If you are using the bucket-fill set the Threshold value to the highest value that doesn't cause a spill (about 150 for black lines on transparency).

Comparison of the methods (I believe you are using "Normal" mode with a low threshold): http://imgur.com/hSwJoX0