RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Magic background eraser

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 6 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Magic Background Eraser Seth Burgess 09 Sep 14:23
18845.194.7.240.10.10953298... 07 Oct 20:16
  Magic background eraser Alf C Stockton 17 Sep 14:20
   Magic background eraser Carol Spears 17 Sep 21:34
   Magic background eraser lode.leroy@advalvas.be 30 Sep 09:27
    Magic background eraser Carol Spears 30 Sep 21:01
Seth Burgess
2004-09-09 14:23:17 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Magic Background Eraser

I've been playing with PS Elements (came with my camera) so I recently found it and played with the background erase tool.

Its a fixed aspect brush (only a circle, though you can vary its size). It samples the current circle continously, and uses its average (center weighted I think) to determine what the current "color" is for a color-to-alpha type removal.

There's a threshold parameter which determines how close something has to be to get the color-to-alpha treatment. With a bad threshold, the tool is pretty unusable (becomes either like a bad eraser, or a paintbrush in color to alpha mode). I find I have to change it a lot, even on the same image.

There's also a Continuous or Discontinous paramterer, but I'm not able to determine what this does simply by playing.

A typical usage pattern is to trace around the outside of an object you want to cut out, just barely touching the object with the outside of the brush (the idea is that this will stay out of the threshold and remove everything else).

Its not a smooth drawing tool - the outside generally looks like a bunch of semi-circles (I think it requires having a center pixel non-alpha). However, the inside will hopefully be fairly representitive of the outline of the object.

It also suffers from the same problem as color to alhpa, in that it tends to leave garbage around (with a low alpha) that you have to go back and touch up later. JPEG noise is especially prevalent, so its best to run a noise filter over it before doing this.

If we want to make a killer tool for background erasing, we should really be looking at knock-out or an equivalent, but the background erase tool isn't bad for quick removal (and certainly is more applicable than something like color-to-alpha in a typical real-photograph situation).

Hope this helps!

Seth Burgess sjburges@gimp.org

Alf C Stockton
2004-09-17 14:20:16 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Magic background eraser

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 lode.leroy@advalvas.be wrote:

I have created a plugin that may be doing what you are looking for, But I have never seen photoshop, so I'm not sure...

http://www.geocities.com/lode_leroy/gimp

At the above I find a .exe which is assumed to be for Windows. How do I get this working on Linux?

---

Regards, Alf Stockton www.stockton.co.za

"I'm willing to sacrifice anything for this cause, even other people's lives"

Carol Spears
2004-09-17 21:34:37 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Magic background eraser

On Fri, Sep 17, 2004 at 12:20:16PM +0000, Alf C Stockton wrote:

I have created a plugin that may be doing what you are looking for, But I have never seen photoshop, so I'm not sure...

At the above I find a .exe which is assumed to be for Windows. How do I get this working on Linux?

yes. also the source code. don't make us call bart, the linux lawyer.

carol

lode.leroy@advalvas.be
2004-09-30 09:27:00 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Magic background eraser

I finally got to compiling this under linux. The new zip contains the full sources of the gimp-plugin-template based plugin...

-- lode

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Plaats je zoekertjes GRATIS op AdValvas Placez votre petite annonce GRATUITEMENT sur AdValvas http://www.advalvas.be

Carol Spears
2004-09-30 21:01:10 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Magic background eraser

hello, and thanks,
On Thu, Sep 30, 2004 at 09:27:00AM +0200, lode.leroy@advalvas.be wrote:

I finally got to compiling this under linux. The new zip contains the full sources of the gimp-plugin-template based plugin...

well, with a little help from andyp on #gimp, i got this plug-in to build.

so this is just to share the help i got; the plug-in builds rather quickly using autotools:

./autogen.sh in the intelligum/ directory did the trick for me.

thanks everyone,

carol