RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Photoshop magic background eraser

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

7 of 7 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Photoshop magic background eraser Michael Wagner 08 Sep 09:49
  Photoshop magic background eraser Malcolm Tredinnick 08 Sep 09:52
   Photoshop magic background eraser Eric Pierce 09 Sep 06:32
    Photoshop magic background eraser Eric Pierce 09 Sep 06:43
     Photoshop magic background eraser David Neary 09 Sep 08:14
      Photoshop magic background eraser Eric Pierce 10 Sep 07:04
     Photoshop magic background eraser Sven Neumann 09 Sep 12:54
Michael Wagner
2004-09-08 09:49:30 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Good morning,

You can find a magic background eraser in Photshop. How do I do this in Gimp? I have version 2.0.4.

Thanks Michael

_________

Malcolm Tredinnick
2004-09-08 09:52:11 UTC (over 19 years ago)

On Wed, 2004-09-08 at 09:49 +0200, Michael Wagner wrote:

Good morning,

You can find a magic background eraser in Photshop. How do I do this in Gimp? I have version 2.0.4.

What does it do? A lot of people on these lists have not or do not use Photoshop, so you'll need to provide a bit of a description.

Cheers, Malcolm

Eric Pierce
2004-09-09 06:32:59 UTC (over 19 years ago)

I use Filter->Color->Color to Alpha

Shit, and I thought Gimp had one up on PS there too. Luckily, I got 3/4th of our marketing department (there's 4 of us) using Gimp because they (and I) didn't think you could cleanly remove backgrounds in PS.

Eric P.

On Wed, Sep 08, 2004 at 05:52:11PM +1000, Malcolm Tredinnick wrote:

Good morning,

What does it do? A lot of people on these lists have not or do not use Photoshop, so you'll need to provide a bit of a description.

Cheers, Malcolm

Eric Pierce
2004-09-09 06:43:10 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Actually, it'd be nice if Gimp could pick up some of the properties of PS's erase background tool.

Adding 'Tolerance' to 'color to alpha' would be good start; and maybe that's all that's really necessary for this function.

How does everybody else remove backgrounds?

The other approaches I take are: 1. decomposing the image and a making mask from the layer with the best separation 2. using the path tool to break out a region and (once again) make a mask

Any techniques I'm missing? Eric P.

On Thu, Sep 09, 2004 at 04:32:59AM +0000, Eric Pierce wrote:

I use Filter->Color->Color to Alpha

Shit, and I thought Gimp had one up on PS there too. Luckily, I got 3/4th of our marketing department (there's 4 of us) using Gimp because they (and I) didn't think you could cleanly remove backgrounds in PS.

Eric P.

On Wed, Sep 08, 2004 at 05:52:11PM +1000, Malcolm Tredinnick wrote:

Good morning,

Cheers, Malcolm

David Neary
2004-09-09 08:14:05 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi,

Eric Pierce wrote:

Actually, it'd be nice if Gimp could pick up some of the properties of PS's erase background tool.

Would you mind describing how this tool works? Some screenshots would be brilliant. I am guessing that it's an erase tool with some kind of edge detection that doesn't delete things not in the same region as the starting seed point - is that accurate?

The other approaches I take are:
1. decomposing the image and a making mask from the layer with the best separation 2. using the path tool to break out a region and (once again) make a mask

Any techniques I'm missing?

I tend to use the magic scissors to make a first attempt at it, create a layer mask from that and retouch the mask to get it right.

Cheers,
Dave.

Sven Neumann
2004-09-09 12:54:04 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi,

Eric Pierce writes:

Any techniques I'm missing?

Well, I think you missed the most obvious one: Use the paintbrush or any other paint tool in "Color erase" mode. That's probably closest to the tool the original poster was asking about.

Sven

Eric Pierce
2004-09-10 07:04:06 UTC (over 19 years ago)

On Thu, Sep 09, 2004 at 08:14:05AM +0200, David Neary wrote:

Hi,

Eric Pierce wrote:

Would you mind describing how this tool works? Some screenshots would be brilliant. I am guessing that it's an erase tool with some kind of edge detection that doesn't delete things not in the same region as the starting seed point - is that accurate?

All I know is from a simple search: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=%22background+eraser%22+photoshop&btnG=Google+Search

And about 5 minutes of reading. http://www.basicphotoshop.com/tutz/pstutz33.htm

Eric P.