RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Once opened in Gimp_Ubuntu never to open again

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2014-04-20 13:58:59 UTC (about 10 years ago)
postings

. . . from Ubuntu, that is.
This is about the development version of Gimp 2.9.1, so if this post belongs somewhere else, please so inform me and feel free to move it (but please let me know where it went, LOL).

I right-click on a .tif file (scanned from film), and can open it with any Linux viewer or photo-editing applicatiion (I have Gimp, of course, Lightzone, Darktable, PhotoSpot, Irfanview under wine, etc.).

If I open the file with Gimp, I can edit the file, but if I export it as a tif, the file reports as invalid to all my Linux applications.

I can boot into Win7 and open it with any application there, including Gimp 2.9.

Boot back into Ubuntu, and the file is still invalid. I have tried this on several files, result is always the same.

What could possibly be going on?

I know this is a development version of Gimp, so I am not complaining, and, especially, since the files remain viable in Win7, then, I have a hunch they are not actually damaged.

I am a software consumer (perhaps with an addiction problem), but have no feel for programing, so can only be grateful for the wonderful age of nearly unlimited sources of great software from which to choose, Gimp being one of my favorites.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Caruso

2014-04-20 19:15:57 UTC (about 10 years ago)
postings

So, I uninstalled gimp 2.9 and reinstalled it. That seems to have solved the problem. Do not understand what caused the problem, but really am not that interested to know why. I will say this: Having a version of Gimp (albeit a somewhat slow version) that can deal with higher bit images is a pleasure. It's not that I am so mindful (mentally or visually) of the visual benefits, but I shoot in RAW, use any of the several RAW converters to convert to TIF (or, in the case of my film images, scan them to 16-bit tifs).

Being able to open them in Gimp without converting to 8-bits just feels so much better.

One issue that stumps me: re precision, should I use linear or gammp, 15, 32, or 64 bits? Curious as to what you recommend.

Otherwise, enjoying my 2.9 experience.

Thanks for any tips.

Caruso

. . . from Ubuntu, that is.
This is about the development version of Gimp 2.9.1, so if this post belongs somewhere else, please so inform me and feel free to move it (but please let me know where it went, LOL).

I right-click on a .tif file (scanned from film), and can open it with any Linux viewer or photo-editing applicatiion (I have Gimp, of course, Lightzone, Darktable, PhotoSpot, Irfanview under wine, etc.).

If I open the file with Gimp, I can edit the file, but if I export it as a tif, the file reports as invalid to all my Linux applications.

I can boot into Win7 and open it with any application there, including Gimp 2.9.

Boot back into Ubuntu, and the file is still invalid. I have tried this on several files, result is always the same.

What could possibly be going on?

I know this is a development version of Gimp, so I am not complaining, and, especially, since the files remain viable in Win7, then, I have a hunch they are not actually damaged.

I am a software consumer (perhaps with an addiction problem), but have no feel for programing, so can only be grateful for the wonderful age of nearly unlimited sources of great software from which to choose, Gimp being one of my favorites.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Caruso

2014-04-21 05:29:06 UTC (about 10 years ago)
postings

Wish there was an edit function here. Should have typed "linear or Gamma, 16, 32, or 64 bits". Sorry.

So, I uninstalled gimp 2.9 and reinstalled it. That seems to have solved the problem.
Do not understand what caused the problem, but really am not that interested to know why.
I will say this: Having a version of Gimp (albeit a somewhat slow version) that can deal with higher bit images is a pleasure. It's not that I am so mindful (mentally or visually) of the visual benefits, but I shoot in RAW, use any of the several RAW converters to convert to TIF (or, in the case of my film images, scan them to 16-bit tifs).

Being able to open them in Gimp without converting to 8-bits just feels so much better.

One issue that stumps me: re precision, should I use linear or gammp, 15, 32, or 64 bits? Curious as to what you recommend.

Thanks for any tips.

Caruso

scl
2014-04-21 09:05:34 UTC (about 10 years ago)

Hi,

On 20.4.2014 at 9:15 PM Carusoswi wrote:

the DNG file format specification version 1.4 allows a precision of up to 32 bit floating point values. Current RAW images from Canon, Nikon and Sony high-end cameras have a bit depth of 14 bits, so 16 bit should be a sufficient compromise between precision and computing speed for now.
Floating point calculations are more precise than integer calculations. The physical light is what we call 'linear' and therefore I would say, that editing in linear light gives more realistic results.

So my recommendation for now would be 16 bit floating point (linear).

It's nice to hear that ;-)

Kind regards,

Sven