RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

GIMP -2.8.10 Brushes

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

GIMP -2.8.10 Brushes Randhir Phagura 10 Mar 12:46
  GIMP -2.8.10 Brushes Judah 10 Mar 17:36
  GIMP -2.8.10 Brushes scl 10 Mar 20:51
  GIMP -2.8.10 Brushes Richard 12 Mar 15:53
Randhir Phagura
2014-03-10 12:46:50 UTC (about 10 years ago)

GIMP -2.8.10 Brushes

Hi,
I am an old user of GIMP. Earlier, versions that I used had some very simple paint brushes in six or seven thickness sizes, which were convenient for me to pick from in order to draw the lines or shapes of different width in my gray-scale sketches which I drew for my books. However, I do not find those brush-sizes in gimp-2.8.10. Can someone guide me how I can get those simple paint-brushes and how I can install them in this new version?

Thanks and regards,

Randhir Phagura

Judah
2014-03-10 17:36:49 UTC (about 10 years ago)

GIMP -2.8.10 Brushes

Hi Randhir Phagura

I am an old user of GIMP. Earlier, versions that I used had some very simple paint brushes in six or seven thickness sizes, which were convenient for me to pick from in order to draw the lines or shapes of different width in my gray-scale sketches which I drew for my books. However, I do not find those brush-sizes in gimp-2.8.10. Can someone guide me how I can get those simple paint-brushes and how I can install them in this new version?

I dont know which version of GIMP you were using before but if you're on linux, you could try /usr/share/gimp/2.0/brushes/gimp-obsolete-files, you can copy those files into /home//.gimp-2.8/brushes

I'm not sure what the path would be for windows or mAc, though hopefully it should follow a similar pattern. prob with backslashes instead of forward slashes.

Hope it helps :)

scl
2014-03-10 20:51:07 UTC (about 10 years ago)

GIMP -2.8.10 Brushes

On 10.3.2014 at 1:46 PM Randhir Phagura wrote:

[...] Earlier, versions that I used had some very simple paint brushes in six or seven thickness sizes, which were convenient for me to pick from in order to draw the lines or shapes of different width in my gray-scale sketches which I drew for my books. However, I do not find those brush-sizes in gimp-2.8.10. Can someone guide me how I can get those simple paint-brushes and how I can install them in this new version?

You can find the GIMP brushes here: https://git.gnome.org/browse/gimp/tree/data/brushes?h=gimp-2-8 AFAIK these are also all part of the shipped GIMP.

There are also some in the GIMP-Data-Extras repository: https://git.gnome.org/browse/gimp-data-extras/tree/brushes

Each of these repositories lets you download its content as a ZIP or TAR.GZ archive (the URL ends at /gimp or /gimp-data-extras then)

To find a place where to put them just look into Preferences/Folders /Brushes. It's in the Edit menu on Windows and Linux and in the GIMP menu on OS X.

To change the size use the Size slider in the Paint Tools dialogues. To access particular sizes quickly just store them as tool presets and restore them when you need them (Store and Restore are the little floppy disc icons in the button bar underneath the Paint tools dialogue).

Kind regards,

Sven

Richard
2014-03-12 15:53:55 UTC (about 10 years ago)

GIMP -2.8.10 Brushes

Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2014 18:16:50 +0530 From: rsphagura@gmail.com
To: gimp-user-list@gnome.org
Subject: [Gimp-user] GIMP -2.8.10 Brushes

Hi, I am an old user of GIMP. Earlier, versions that I used had some very simple paint brushes in six or seven thickness sizes, which were convenient for me to pick from in order to draw the lines or shapes of different width in my gray-scale sketches which I drew for my books. However, I do not find those brush-sizes in gimp-2.8.10. Can someone guide me how I can get those simple paint-brushes and how I can install them in this new version?

Thanks and regards,

Randhir Phagura _______________________________________________ gimp-user-list mailing list
List address: gimp-user-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list

scl has already touched upon it somewhat, but one of the large design changes in recent GIMPs is that brush size is now a tool setting instead of a brush setting - so instead of having a set of 3/5/7/9/11/etc. sized brushes (being otherwise identical in settings) you have one brush (with a specific shape/hardness/angle/etc) and you set the size directly using the slider in the tool's options. You can still create various sized brushes (as previous versions did) but then any time you change a brush you'll need to verify the brush size prior to using it (the slider has a reset button next to it for this purpose).

-- Stratadrake strata_ranger@hotmail.com
--------------------
Numbers may not lie, but neither do they tell the whole truth.