RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Histogram in only a selected region?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Histogram in only a selected region? Adam Stein 03 Sep 17:26
  Histogram in only a selected region? Carol Spears 03 Sep 17:54
Histogram in only a selected region? William Skaggs 03 Sep 19:58
  Histogram in only a selected region? Sven Neumann 04 Sep 03:07
Adam Stein
2004-09-03 17:26:45 UTC (over 19 years ago)

I'm using Gimp v2.0.1.

I couldn't find any info on this, so I'm thinking I can't do but I thought I would ask anyway. Many tools operate only on the selected region. It seems Histogram is one that doesn't and that it always operates on the entire image. Is there an easy way to have it operate only on a selected region? The best I could quickly come up with was to crop the region of interest (which meant undoing the crop and then cropping the next area and so on).

It was a little embarrassing to not find a way to do this since my boss does this routinely with Photoshop (and here I am telling him how great Gimp is).

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Adam Stein --
Adam Stein @ Xerox Corporation Email: adam@scan.mc.xerox.com Disclaimer: All views expressed here have been proved to be my own. [http://www.csh.rit.edu/~adam/]

Carol Spears
2004-09-03 17:54:02 UTC (over 19 years ago)

On Fri, Sep 03, 2004 at 11:26:45AM -0400, Adam Stein wrote:

Is there an easy way to have it operate only on a selected region? The best I could quickly come up with was to crop the region of interest (which meant undoing the crop and then cropping the next area and so on).

make a copy of your selection and paste it in as a new layer. many of the other graphics apps never quite got the hang of layers and are desparately trying now to catch up.

i do this the same way with gimp-2.0 as i did with gimp-1.0 and that is make the selection Edit -->Copy; Edit -->Paste; Layer -->New Layer.

carol

William Skaggs
2004-09-03 19:58:58 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Adam Stein writes:

Many tools operate only on the selected region. It seems Histogram is one that doesn't and that it always operates on the entire image. Is there an easy way to have it operate only on a selected region?

I don't think so. It shouldn't be very hard to implement, though, since the histogram in the Levels tool does it, and I believe uses the same code as the histogram in the Histogram dialog.

Best,
-- Bill

______________ ______________ ______________ ______________ Sent via the KillerWebMail system at primate.ucdavis.edu

Sven Neumann
2004-09-04 03:07:50 UTC (over 19 years ago)