RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

How to render Japanese on my image?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

How to render Japanese on my image? David Wuertele 02 Sep 20:27
  How to render Japanese on my image? Carol Spears 02 Sep 20:57
  How to render Japanese on my image? Sven Neumann 02 Sep 22:27
David Wuertele
2004-09-02 20:27:36 UTC (over 19 years ago)

I have some Japanese text that I need to superimpose on an image. I have the font that I need to use in .ttf form. I am able to create files and type Japanese into them using emacs, but I couldn't figure out how to do so in the Gimp Text tool.

Suggestions? Thanks,
Dave

Carol Spears
2004-09-02 20:57:47 UTC (over 19 years ago)

hi,
On Thu, Sep 02, 2004 at 11:27:36AM -0700, David Wuertele wrote:

I have some Japanese text that I need to superimpose on an image. I have the font that I need to use in .ttf form. I am able to create files and type Japanese into them using emacs, but I couldn't figure out how to do so in the Gimp Text tool.

if you are using gimp2, then you need to drop the font into ~/.fonts (for system-wide use) or into ~/.gimp-2.0/fonts for only gimp to use it. use the tool with the big T icon and touch the image surface to engage the tool.

if you double click on the button with the big T, you will see the text tool options and be able to control the text size and other things.

weird to me that you can get the fonts to work in emacs but not gimp, unless you are using gimp-1.2. if this is the case, i highly recommend upgrading to gimp-2.0 since it uses fontconfig. the way fonts worked were in flux during the gimp-1.2 series.

carol

Sven Neumann
2004-09-02 22:27:16 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi,

David Wuertele writes:

The GIMP text editor supports GTK+ input modules just like any other GTK+ widget that allows to input text. AFAIK there are input modules to enter japanese text.

You could also write the text in emacs and open it from file using the GIMP text editor. Your file needs to be in UTF-8 encoding though.

Sven