RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Elaborating Export functionality

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Elaborating Export functionality Øyvind Kolås 13 Jan 18:48
  Fwd: Elaborating Export functionality ugajin@talktalk.net 13 Jan 19:37
  Elaborating Export functionality Kevin Brubeck Unhammer 14 Jan 08:40
Øyvind Kolås
2014-01-13 18:48:19 UTC (over 10 years ago)

On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 7:31 PM, Andrew_Bridget wrote:

This is such a common task, there may be cause to have a Resize option bundled with the Export command. Having to always perform them as two separate steps is an annoyance, but the possibility of accidentally saving the wrong resolution back to the XCF file is a danger.

A question that asked late last year as I had a need to resize and keep working on original. That's when I found the save for web had been reinstated as 2.6.

Part of the motivation for the save/export distinction in the first place is later being able to introduce such improvements to export workflows (as well as other neat things; like being able to choose between export presets, multiple named regions - and more). Without a clear conceptual internal seperation - such future improvements will be much harder.

ugajin@talktalk.net
2014-01-13 19:37:02 UTC (over 10 years ago)

Fwd: Elaborating Export functionality

This makes sense.

-----Original Message----- From: Øyvind Kolås
To: Andrew_Bridget
CC: gimp-user-list@gnome.org
Sent: Mon, 13 Jan 2014 18:50
Subject: [Gimp-user] Elaborating Export functionality

This is such a common task, there may be cause to have a Resize option bundled

with the Export command. Having to always perform them as two separate steps is an annoyance, but the possibility of accidentally saving the wrong resolution back to the XCF file is a danger.

A question that asked late last year as I had a need to resize and keep

working on original. That's when I found the save for web had been reinstated as 2.6.

Part of the motivation for the save/export distinction in the first place is later being able to introduce such improvements to export workflows (as well as other neat things; like being able to choose between export presets, multiple named regions - and more). Without a clear conceptual internal seperation - such future improvements will be much harder.

Kevin Brubeck Unhammer
2014-01-14 08:40:33 UTC (over 10 years ago)

Øyvind Kolås writes:

This is such a common task, there may be cause to have a Resize option bundled with the Export command. Having to always perform them as two separate steps is an annoyance, but the possibility of accidentally saving the wrong resolution back to the XCF file is a danger.

A question that asked late last year as I had a need to resize and keep working on original. That's when I found the save for web had been reinstated as 2.6.

I've been wanting a "scaled export" function myself … In the meanwhile, http://shallowsky.com/blog/gimp/gimp-export-scaled.html works well.

It doesn't remember the last scale you used second time around, but it does remember the format so you don't have to change xcf→jpg each time.

Kevin Brubeck Unhammer

GPG: 0x766AC60C