RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Scaling images

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Scaling images Lauren McCarthy 12 Jan 22:37
  Scaling images ugajin@talktalk.net 12 Jan 23:00
  Scaling images Michael Schumacher 12 Jan 23:15
  Scaling images Richard 13 Jan 16:29
Lauren McCarthy
2014-01-12 22:37:19 UTC (over 10 years ago)

Scaling images

Is there any way I can scale images down in size, whilst keeping the quality of the image? I am a Media teacher having to use this software with the class and they must have high production values for their controlled assessment. However, I do not know how to get around the problem that all the work is predominantly blurred because students have scaled down the pictures resulting in horrendous blurring.

Any advice would be greatly received.

Thanks

Sent from Windows Mail

ugajin@talktalk.net
2014-01-12 23:00:59 UTC (over 10 years ago)

Scaling images

A media teacher ought perhaps to know the answer.

The short answer may be to increase the resolution (number of pixels per unit). This will down scale the image without removing any data.

http://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-image-scale.html

-----Original Message----- From: Lauren McCarthy
To: gimp-user-list@gnome.org
Sent: Sun, 12 Jan 2014 22:49
Subject: [Gimp-user] Scaling images

Is there any way I can scale images down in size, whilst keeping the quality of the image? I am a Media teacher having to use this software with the class and they must have high production values for their controlled assessment. However, I do not know how to get around the problem that all the work is predominantly blurred because students have scaled down the pictures resulting in horrendous blurring.

Thanks

Sent from Windows Mail

Michael Schumacher
2014-01-12 23:15:23 UTC (over 10 years ago)

Scaling images

On 12.01.2014 23:37, Lauren McCarthy wrote:

What was the original size, and what is the size after scaling down? And why did the students do that?

Regards,
Michael
GPG: 96A8 B38A 728A 577D 724D 60E5 F855 53EC B36D 4CDD
Richard
2014-01-13 16:29:19 UTC (over 10 years ago)

Scaling images

To: gimp-user-list@gnome.org
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2014 22:37:19 +0000 Subject: [Gimp-user] Scaling images

Thanks

When you scale an image's raw pixel size (e.g. Image > Scale Image command) you WILL lose some image quality as a normal part of the scaling process. You can tweak the results slightly by changing the interpolation method at scale time, but the image simply has more/less pixel count after scaling than it did before. E.g. if you scale an image by 50% with no interpolation then GIMP literally throws out every other row/column of pixel data; with linear or cubic interpolation, it literally merges every two rows/columns of pixels together (resulting in some blurring).

On the other hand, if you wish to change the physical printed size of an image, you do not actually need to scale the image (in terms of pixel count), just change the image's pixels-per-inch resolution (Image > Print Size). You can also do this on-the-fly from the Print command.

-- Stratadrake strata_ranger@hotmail.com
--------------------
Numbers may not lie, but neither do they tell the whole truth.