RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

gimp users matter

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

1 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

mailman.65.1389332950.6166.... 10 Jan 07:11
  gimp users matter roadie 10 Jan 07:10
roadie
2014-01-10 07:10:19 UTC (over 10 years ago)

gimp users matter

yes, thank you for that, but I donw't want to to import it as a new gimp image.
I want to still be able to see my jpg file. This really is not about the (slight in
my view) inconvenience of another keystroke. It's about not being able, regardless
of how many keystrokes, to see my file after it's exported. I think I will have to
give up because I can't seem to find the right words to make anyone understand.

I like the GIMP save/export policies. I open a file, save it.
Now I have an xcf file in the GIMP with exactly the same name as the original file. The original file is untouched and safe and not in my GIMP window/screen. (it is gone as you say)
I work on the xcf file, save when I want to etc. I export the finished file to the format I want appending altered or whathaveyou to the suggested original filename. Perfect for me. I have the original file, untouched. I have the xcf file/state for working on. I have any alterations I make using a different/enhanced filename in the export dialog.

So, I save once. I only ever have an xcf file in GIMP from then on. I export as I please and stay in the xcf file. If I close the GIMP without saving this file I get notified and thats how it should be.

Now all the other methods just drive me nuts. For one thing. If I open a jpg and add a green dot in one corner and then choose overwrite jpg and then close the gimp, a window comes up telling me that there are unsaved changes. If I click discard, the overwritten jpg still carries the only change I made - the green dot - so I would wonder what it was that I discarded, yes.

but I dont go there. Life is too short for these details. roadie
gpg 84C519B0