RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

'Underlying layers''

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

'Underlying layers'' otherwhirl 30 Dec 06:15
  'Underlying layers'' scl 30 Dec 07:46
2013-12-30 06:15:55 UTC (over 10 years ago)
postings

'Underlying layers''

Hey guys,

So i've been wrecking my head all day trying to figure out how & where to modify my ''Underlying layers'' for an image I am working on.

The overall project/design is for a t-shirt mock-up template. The whole idea is to make it as realistic looking as possible (photorealistic)

I found a great tutorial (which unfortunately was made for photoshop... ) I was to follow it and pretty much apply the instruction to Gimp. However, there is part where the ''Underlying layers'' are being tweeked.

I'm stuck at this point and hoping someone can point me in the right direction from here.

I am able to follow everything up to (4:32) www.layersmagazine.com/designing-a-layers-t-shirt-in-photoshop.html By the way,this is my first post, so if it's not in the correct area of the forum mods please correct me and thanks in advance.

Happy Holidays!

scl
2013-12-30 07:46:33 UTC (over 10 years ago)

'Underlying layers''

On 30.12.2013 at 8:38 AM otherwhirl wrote:

I am able to follow everything up to (4:32) www.layersmagazine.com/designing-a-layers-t-shirt-in-photoshop.html

Hi,

to make it short for the other readers: you're trying to let the wrinkles of the underlying t-shirt shine through the motif on the shirt. The proposed PS solution is a Layer effect (Fill options), which lets the underlying layer shine through depending on its brightness.

In GIMP we have no layer effects (yet). One solution for GIMP could be to use a grayscale copy of the t-shirt layer as layer mask of the motif layer and apply the brightness/contrast tool or threshold tool to the layer mask and/or adjust the motif layer opacity.

Kind regards,

Sven