RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

black canvas extension

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

9 of 9 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

black canvas extension EGoldman 29 Dec 17:45
  black canvas extension Elle Stone 29 Dec 17:59
   black canvas extension EGoldman 29 Dec 18:12
    black canvas extension EGoldman 29 Dec 18:22
     black canvas extension Alexandre Prokoudine 29 Dec 18:28
     black canvas extension Elle Stone 29 Dec 18:34
     black canvas extension scl 29 Dec 18:38
      black canvas extension EGoldman 29 Dec 19:15
       black canvas extension EGoldman 29 Dec 19:18
2013-12-29 17:45:06 UTC (over 10 years ago)
postings

black canvas extension

I am applying on Zapplication for juried shows for my jewelry . I am a newbie to Gimp but have mastered most thru trial and error. I really need help at this point . Pics must be 1920 x1440. I have resized but they also require the canvas size to be 1920x1920 with black borders. The end result would be that there is black extension borders filling in the shorter sides. All I keep getting is the little squares. I have a deadline for this application and I'm hoping someone could give me some clues on this issue. A BIG Thanks for any suggestions or help :)

Elle Stone
2013-12-29 17:59:25 UTC (over 10 years ago)

black canvas extension

On 12/29/2013 12:45 PM, EGoldman wrote:

I am applying on Zapplication for juried shows for my jewelry . I am a newbie to Gimp but have mastered most thru trial and error. I really need help at this point . Pics must be 1920 x1440. I have resized but they also require the canvas size to be 1920x1920 with black borders. The end result would be that there is black extension borders filling in the shorter sides. All I keep getting is the little squares. I have a deadline for this application and I'm hoping someone could give me some clues on this issue. A BIG Thanks for any suggestions or help :)

You probably already did "Image/Canvas Size" with width and height equal to 1920, and clicking "Center", which produces the litte squares on either side of the original image. The next step is to create a new layer filled with black, and move the new layer below the original layer. Then flatten the image ("Image/Flatten Image").

I think I answered your question, but my apologies if I'm answering the wrong question!

Elle

2013-12-29 18:12:39 UTC (over 10 years ago)
postings

black canvas extension

You probably already did "Image/Canvas Size" with width and height equal
to 1920, and clicking "Center", which produces the litte squares on either side of the original image. The next step is to create a new layer filled with black, and move the new layer below the original layer. Then flatten the image ("Image/Flatten Image").

I think I answered your question, but my apologies if I'm answering the
wrong question!

Elle

2013-12-29 18:22:23 UTC (over 10 years ago)
postings

black canvas extension

Thank you so very much for responding. It isn't working for me. I am still looking at my image and the canvas with squares. Should I be opening "new layer" and if so how do I get it black? I'm so close yet so far ...lol

Alexandre Prokoudine
2013-12-29 18:28:58 UTC (over 10 years ago)

black canvas extension

On Sun, Dec 29, 2013 at 10:22 PM, EGoldman wrote:

Thank you so very much for responding. It isn't working for me. I am still looking at my image and the canvas with squares. Should I be opening "new layer" and if so how do I get it black? I'm so close yet so far ...lol

When you create a new layer, you can choose what color fill its has :)

Alexandre

Elle Stone
2013-12-29 18:34:28 UTC (over 10 years ago)

black canvas extension

On 12/29/2013 01:22 PM, EGoldman wrote:

It's "Layer/New Layer" from the menu. It doesn't matter what color you make the new layer because you can use the paint bucket to change the color to black. But if you change the Foreground/Background colors to black and white, then you can choose one to be the color of the new layer.

scl
2013-12-29 18:38:00 UTC (over 10 years ago)

black canvas extension

On 29.12.2013 at 7:32 PM EGoldman wrote:>

Hi,

to get a black layer:
1. Set the foreground color to black by pressing the 'd' key (not Shift+d, but only the lowercase 'd'). 2. Add a new layer: in the layers dialog press the left most button ('New layer') and choose 'Layer fill type: Foreground color'. Instead of the layers dialog you can also use the Layers menu, item 'New layer...'. 3. In the layers dialog drag the new layer and drop it below the layer with your original image.

Greetings,

Sven

2013-12-29 19:15:24 UTC (over 10 years ago)
postings

black canvas extension

On 29.12.2013 at 7:32 PM EGoldman wrote:> Hi,

to get a black layer:
1. Set the foreground color to black by pressing the 'd' key (not Shift+d, but only the lowercase 'd'). 2. Add a new layer: in the layers dialog press the left most button ('New layer') and choose 'Layer fill type: Foreground color'. Instead of the layers dialog you can also use the Layers menu, item 'New layer...'.
3. In the layers dialog drag the new layer and drop it below the layer with your original image.

Greetings,

Sven

2013-12-29 19:18:02 UTC (over 10 years ago)
postings

black canvas extension

It Worked!!! A "BIG" Thanks to Elle, Alexandre, and Sven......You are all FANTASTIC!!!!!!