RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Question about bump map location

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

9 of 9 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Question about bump map location Judy Wilson 02 Sep 19:32
  Question about bump map location Jay Smith 02 Sep 20:23
  Question about bump map location Pat David 02 Sep 21:29
  Question about bump map location Gary Aitken 02 Sep 22:25
   Question about bump map location Partha Bagchi 02 Sep 23:24
  Question about bump map location Gary Aitken 02 Sep 22:27
   Question about bump map location gge 30 Dec 00:41
  Question about bump map location Kevin Brubeck Unhammer 03 Sep 08:53
  Question about bump map location Michael Natterer 03 Sep 14:09
Judy Wilson
2013-09-02 19:32:05 UTC (over 10 years ago)

First, let me say how much I have appreciated the help I've gotten throughout the years from this list! I'm a 70 year old woman living in Belize, my husband and I do websites (he's the programmer), I love the graphic aspect, though he's good at that, too. We have been open-source users and supporters for over 10 years, sponsored Software Freedom Day in Belize in 2006 and 2007. We use Ubuntu, GIMP, and Inkscape applications, he uses all kinds of programming languages, of course. Kudos to everyone contributing to this list and the open source movement.

My question: I would like to put a "watermark" of my logo on images, and I can do so with the Map, Bump Map Filter. However, the location of the bump map is a problem. At 0 on the X and Y Offset sliders, it goes into the upper left hand corner. OK. The problem is the sliders only move to -1000, and my images are often larger than that, and I want to put the bump map into the lower right hand corner, and the sliders will not allow that. Typing in the numbers doesn't work, and moving the bump map in the preview with the middle mouse button doesn't work. Of course if I make the images smaller I can get it into the right hand lower corner, but I want to use the larger image. Any solution for this, or do I have to just live with this ... defect(?) for now. Thank you!

Judy Wilson

Jay Smith
2013-09-02 20:23:15 UTC (over 10 years ago)

On 09/02/2013 03:32 PM, Judy Wilson wrote:

snipped

My question: I would like to put a "watermark" of my logo on images, and I can do so with the Map, Bump Map Filter. However, the location of the bump map is a problem. At 0 on the X and Y Offset sliders, it goes into the upper left hand corner. OK. The problem is the sliders only move to -1000, and my images are often larger than that, and I want to put the bump map into the lower right hand corner, and the sliders will not allow that. Typing in the numbers doesn't work, and moving the bump map in the preview with the middle mouse button doesn't work. Of course if I make the images smaller I can get it into the right hand lower corner, but I want to use the larger image. Any solution for this, or do I have to just live with this ... defect(?) for now. Thank you!

Judy Wilson

Judy,

Thanks for all your efforts to support The Movement. :-)

I can't answer the question you are asking, however, I use a perl script that invokes ImageMagick to add watermarks to large quantities of images.

http://www.imagemagick.org

Since I do put my watermark in the upper left corner, I have not paid attention to whether ImageMagick can apply the watermark based on the position from the lower right corner, but I would guess that it can.

And if the answer to that is no, there is another trick you could try, especially if you are using a script to batch process. First, make your watermark image upside down and backwards. Then rotate each image 180 degrees, apply the watermark, flatten the image, and rotate it back to upright.

Last note: When I batch process to apply watermarks, I always only apply to _copies_ of the images as invariably I later need the original without watermark for some other use. (This also prevents destroying the original if your batch script does not do as expected.)

Jay

Pat David
2013-09-02 21:29:31 UTC (over 10 years ago)

Not sure if this will help, but it's one way of easily adding a "watermark" if you need to:

http://youtu.be/n4OBn5DJdjk

On Monday, September 2, 2013, Judy Wilson wrote:

First, let me say how much I have appreciated the help I've gotten throughout the years from this list! I'm a 70 year old woman living in Belize, my husband and I do websites (he's the programmer), I love the graphic aspect, though he's good at that, too. We have been open-source users and supporters for over 10 years, sponsored Software Freedom Day in Belize in 2006 and 2007. We use Ubuntu, GIMP, and Inkscape applications, he uses all kinds of programming languages, of course. Kudos to everyone contributing to this list and the open source movement.

Judy Wilson ______________________________**_________________ gimp-user-list mailing list
List address: gimp-user-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/**mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-** list

pat david
http://blog.patdavid.net
Gary Aitken
2013-09-02 22:25:25 UTC (over 10 years ago)

On 09/02/13 13:32, Judy Wilson wrote:

I can't address the bump map issue, but I've attached a script I recently wrote to add a watermark to an image in the lower right corner. I'm sure others have done similar things long ago but I've found it useful; it can be used in batch mode or via the ui. Just stick it in your .gimp-2.8/scripts folder. It will appear under "garya" on the main menu bar; you probably will want to change that label :-) and the default watermark file name/location.

Gary

Gary Aitken
2013-09-02 22:27:34 UTC (over 10 years ago)

I can't address the bump map issue, but I've attached a script I recently wrote to add a watermark to an image in the lower right corner. I'm sure others have done similar things long ago but I've found it useful; it can be used in batch mode or via the ui. Just stick it in your .gimp-2.8/scripts folder. It will appear under "garya" on the main menu bar; you probably will want to change that label :-) and the default watermark file name/location.

Gary

Partha Bagchi
2013-09-02 23:24:36 UTC (over 10 years ago)

Well, if we are suggesting alternatives, perhaps you may want to consider adapting this:
http://farbspiel-photo.com/learn/hdr-cookbook/creative-watermarking

:)

On Mon, Sep 2, 2013 at 6:25 PM, Gary Aitken wrote:

Gary

_______________________________________________ gimp-user-list mailing list
List address: gimp-user-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list

Kevin Brubeck Unhammer
2013-09-03 08:53:05 UTC (over 10 years ago)

Judy Wilson writes:

[...]

I added https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=707354 (I can't imagine such an arbitrary maximum is intentional?)

Kevin Brubeck Unhammer

GPG: 0x766AC60C
Michael Natterer
2013-09-03 14:09:34 UTC (over 10 years ago)

On Mon, 2013-09-02 at 13:32 -0600, Judy Wilson wrote:

Hi Judy,

The limits are now -10000 and 10000, I have no clue how that silly small limit happened in the first place. Thanks for being a long time GIMP user! :)

Regards,
--Mitch

commit aa5c186a3dc211fd8c17c55f915edc12a4f658df Author: Michael Natterer
Date: Tue Sep 3 16:00:09 2013 +0200

Bug 707354 - Bump Map offsets only go to 1000 regardless of image size

Allow ranges from -10000 to 10000, still arbitrary but more real-world. The scales still go -1000 to 1000, but the spinbuttons allow for the full range.

(cherry picked from commit af0cfacfb3fdd4308dc28167a8be74e5141fc1eb)

plug-ins/common/bump-map.c | 8 ++++---- 1 file changed, 4 insertions(+), 4 deletions(-)

gge
2013-12-30 00:41:43 UTC (over 10 years ago)

Hello,

First of all, thank you very much for this wonderful script. It works great! I was wondering if there is a simple way to place the watermark in a different place. Could you please help us?

Thank you!

-- View this message in context: http://gimp.1065349.n5.nabble.com/Question-about-bump-map-location-tp40038p41365.html Sent from the Users mailing list archive at Nabble.com.