RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Re Selection Woes - was - Re: Re: Gimp-user Digest, Vol 23, Issue 15

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Gimp-user Digest, Vol 23, Issue 15 iwantto keepanon 13 Aug 01:04
  Gimp-user Digest, Vol 23, Issue 15 Carol Spears 13 Aug 02:00
  Re Selection Woes - was - Re: Re: Gimp-user Digest, Vol 23, Issue 15 Joao S. O. Bueno 13 Aug 14:11
iwantto keepanon
2004-08-13 01:04:04 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Gimp-user Digest, Vol 23, Issue 15

"Sven Neumann" writes:

Please watch the layers dialog while you are doing this. That should explain your problem (which is due to a floating selections you will want to anchor).

I do see the floating selection layer, but I still don't want to anchor. When I anchor the entire selection disappears. I want to unselect 1 small region. In this case that is text, but if I am making a map and I have precise pixel level selections at 500% zoom; then anchoring is the last thing I want to do.

Is Ctl+Drag *only* a valid operation before anything is done on the selection? Seems to me that, after the first operation on a selection the Ctl+Drag operation isnt much good anymore. Right or Wrong?

BTW, thanks you carol for some great tutorials. I have several logos generated so far. Some w/ the flag and some beveled and haloed. Thx again.

Carol Spears
2004-08-13 02:00:23 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Gimp-user Digest, Vol 23, Issue 15

On Fri, Aug 13, 2004 at 03:04:04AM +0400, iwantto keepanon wrote:

"Sven Neumann" writes:

Please watch the layers dialog while you are doing this. That should explain your problem (which is due to a floating selections you will want to anchor).

I do see the floating selection layer, but I still don't want to anchor. When I anchor the entire selection disappears. I want to unselect 1 small region. In this case that is text, but if I am making a map and I have precise pixel level selections at 500% zoom; then anchoring is the last thing I want to do.

try -->Layers -->New Layer

BTW, thanks you carol for some great tutorials. I have several logos generated so far. Some w/ the flag and some beveled and haloed. Thx again.

no problem. the gimp does most of the things it used to do and even more lately.

grumpy over-bearing hard to communicate with developers still are able to write nice software that works like before and better.

enjoy the gimp, carol

Joao S. O. Bueno
2004-08-13 14:11:02 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Re Selection Woes - was - Re: Re: Gimp-user Digest, Vol 23, Issue 15

Hi,

If you do not want to anchor, them hit the ew layer" button - that will save your current floating selection in a new layer, and allow you to select smaller portions of it, while working without disturbing the rest of the image.

AS for the other questionof yours, if "gifs can be used to fill rendered text", you'll have to save your gif file as a GIMP pattern, in .gimp-2.0/patterns subdir (with a .PAT extension), and them select your text (with select by color), and drag your pattern from the patterns dialog over the selected text.

Regards,

JS ->

On Thursday 12 August 2004 20:04, iwantto keepanon wrote:

"Sven Neumann" writes:

Is Ctl+Drag *only* a valid operation before anything is done on the selection? Seems to me that, after the first operation on a selection the Ctl+Drag operation isnt much good anymore. Right or Wrong?