RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

brushes and keyboard shortcuts

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

10 of 10 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

brushes and keyboard shortcuts ivanova 11 Aug 06:13
  brushes and keyboard shortcuts Dave Neary 11 Aug 09:42
   brushes and keyboard shortcuts Sven Neumann 11 Aug 10:37
    brushes and keyboard shortcuts Dave Neary 11 Aug 11:14
     brushes and keyboard shortcuts Sven Neumann 11 Aug 12:54
    brushes and keyboard shortcuts ivanova 12 Aug 23:32
     brushes and keyboard shortcuts Sven Neumann 13 Aug 00:35
      brushes and keyboard shortcuts ivanova 13 Aug 02:25
       brushes and keyboard shortcuts Carol Spears 13 Aug 04:15
       brushes and keyboard shortcuts Sven Neumann 14 Aug 01:47
ivanova
2004-08-11 06:13:59 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Is it possible to change the size/hardness of the brushes with keyboard shotcuts?

Dave Neary
2004-08-11 09:42:34 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi,

Quoting ivanova :

Is it possible to change the size/hardness of the brushes with keyboard shotcuts?

This is possible in 2.1 (at least for brush size), since brush size controls are now available in the menus. You can use dynamic shortcuts to assign a key to increasing/decreasing brush size, and it's a one-touch operation. You can't change this while drawing, however.

Cheers, Dave.

--
Dave Neary
Lyon, France

Sven Neumann
2004-08-11 10:37:50 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi,

Dave Neary writes:

Quoting ivanova :

This is possible in 2.1 (at least for brush size), since brush size controls are now available in the menus. You can use dynamic shortcuts to assign a key to increasing/decreasing brush size, and it's a one-touch operation. You can't change this while drawing, however.

Sorry, but this information is not correct.

In 2.1 you can assign keyboard shortcuts (or events from other input devices, for example a midi keyboard) to all brush parameters (size/angle/hardness/shape/spikes). Since there's no menu for it, you can't assign the shortcut dynamically but have to use the shortcut editor in the preferences dialog.

Sven

Dave Neary
2004-08-11 11:14:13 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi,

Quoting Sven Neumann :

Dave Neary writes:

Quoting ivanova :

Excuse me - I was sure that I had set keypad + and - (via dynamic shortcuts) for increase/decrease brush size. I guess I was mistaken.

Cheers, Dave.

--
Dave Neary
Lyon, France

Sven Neumann
2004-08-11 12:54:15 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi,

Dave Neary writes:

Excuse me - I was sure that I had set keypad + and - (via dynamic shortcuts) for increase/decrease brush size. I guess I was mistaken.

Well, GIMP 2.1 is under constant development. What you said used to be right but it isn't correct for the 2.1.3 release.

Sven

ivanova
2004-08-12 23:32:51 UTC (over 19 years ago)

On 11 Aug 2004 10:37:50 +0200
Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

Dave Neary writes:

Quoting ivanova :

In 2.1 you can assign keyboard shortcuts (or events from other input devices, for example a midi keyboard) to all brush parameters (size/angle/hardness/shape/spikes). Since there's no menu for it, you can't assign the shortcut dynamically but have to use the shortcut editor in the preferences dialog.

Thanks, I am trying 2.1.3 out now and I have a few questions:

What is the difference between the settings in the 'Input Controllers' menu and the 'Interface' menu.
I can't seem to change the keyboard settings for Input Controllers and when I try to change keyboard settings in the Interface menu, gimp segfaults.

I can change the settings for Input Controllers by editing the ~/.gimp-2.1/controllerrc file, but where are the keyboard shortcuts for the Interface menu saved?

Thanks

Sven Neumann
2004-08-13 00:35:55 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi,

ivanova writes:

What is the difference between the settings in the 'Input Controllers' menu and the 'Interface' menu. I can't seem to change the keyboard settings for Input Controllers and when I try to change keyboard settings in the Interface menu, gimp segfaults.

This crash is fixed in CVS now. Input controllers aren't finished yet, this is work in progress and will change in future versions.

I can change the settings for Input Controllers by editing the ~/.gimp-2.1/controllerrc file, but where are the keyboard shortcuts for the Interface menu saved?

In ~/.gimp-2.1/menurc just like it has always been.

Sven

ivanova
2004-08-13 02:25:05 UTC (over 19 years ago)

On 13 Aug 2004 00:35:55 +0200
Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

ivanova writes:

What is the difference between the settings in the 'Input Controllers' menu and the 'Interface' menu. I can't seem to change the keyboard settings for Input Controllers and when I try to change keyboard settings in the Interface menu, gimp segfaults.

This crash is fixed in CVS now. Input controllers aren't finished yet, this is work in progress and will change in future versions.

In ~/.gimp-2.1/menurc just like it has always been.

Thanks. I got it working now. I still don't understand the difference between the two menu items for keyboard shortcuts and Input Controllers though. What keyboard combinations can be used in the ~/.gimp-2.1/controllerrc file? Only the keypad and mousescroller?

BTW It took me a while to figure out, but the radius/hardness setting can only be changed if you select a custom brush. With one of the preset brushes it has no effect.

Carol Spears
2004-08-13 04:15:46 UTC (over 19 years ago)

On Fri, Aug 13, 2004 at 02:25:05AM +0200, ivanova wrote:

On 13 Aug 2004 00:35:55 +0200
Sven Neumann wrote:

ivanova writes:

Thanks. I got it working now. I still don't understand the difference between the two menu items for keyboard shortcuts and Input Controllers though. What keyboard combinations can be used in the ~/.gimp-2.1/controllerrc file? Only the keypad and mousescroller?

BTW It took me a while to figure out, but the radius/hardness setting can only be changed if you select a custom brush. With one of the preset brushes it has no effect.

i guess selecting the "New" button at the bottom of the dialog is the best way. every new install i make of gimp, i fumble through it. that editor button or right clicking on the selected brush is the only way to bring up the new brush dialog also.

i dont know if there is a better logic, i only know that this one is not so intuitive as other gimp things are.

carol

Sven Neumann
2004-08-14 01:47:22 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi,

ivanova writes:

There can be input controllers for anything that can be used as input. Right now we ship two some example modules which both aren't finished yet. One is for using MIDI devices, the other uses the Linux Input system and allows to attach devices such as a PowerMate USB controller.

Not surprisingly since only what you call custom brushes are parametric. The other brushes are just dumb pixmaps. There should be a few parametric brushes however but so far noone has contributed a useful set of those (even though I asked for it every so often).

Sven