RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Download of GIMP in 'wrong' language !

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

7 of 7 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Download of GIMP in 'wrong' language ! p2005eter@gmail.com 15 Apr 07:38
  Download of GIMP in 'wrong' language ! Alexandre Prokoudine 15 Apr 10:03
   Download of GIMP in 'wrong' language ! Dominik Tabisz 15 Apr 23:08
    Download of GIMP in 'wrong' language ! Alexandre Prokoudine 15 Apr 23:19
    Download of GIMP in 'wrong' language ! Kevin Cozens 15 Apr 23:19
     Download of GIMP in 'wrong' language ! Dominik Tabisz 16 Apr 00:10
     Download of GIMP in 'wrong' language ! Burnie West 16 Apr 00:40
p2005eter@gmail.com
2013-04-15 07:38:19 UTC (about 11 years ago)

Last night I downloaded GIMP v2.8.4 and think I requested an English language download.
When I came to open the program I find the language is Portuguese. This I can partly understand as I have a Portuguese language version of Windows Vista and a Portuguese keyboard. However : 1/ If I did request English as my download language why do I have Portuguese ?
And to resolve the problem with a 'new' download 2/ Can I download GIMP again (with more care) to overwrite my current install *or *change the language from within my current install ? Understand from gimp-user-list that I may be able to download (say) 2.6 into a folder keeping it separate from 2.8.4 ? Any comments ? Peter Stotesbury

Alexandre Prokoudine
2013-04-15 10:03:26 UTC (about 11 years ago)

On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 11:38 AM, wrote:

Last night I downloaded GIMP v2.8.4 and think I requested an English language download.

Is that even possible? GIMP simply ships all localizations and, when installed, uses current UI language set in operating system by default.

When I came to open the program I find the language is Portuguese. This I can partly understand as I have a Portuguese language version of Windows Vista and a Portuguese keyboard.

And here is your explanation :)

Please change trhe interface language in Edit / Preferences / Interface.

Alexandre Prokoudine http://libregraphicsworld.org

Dominik Tabisz
2013-04-15 23:08:35 UTC (about 11 years ago)

Please change trhe interface language in Edit / Preferences / Interface.

Alexandre Prokoudine

Wish it worked in Gimp 2.6.10 ... or maybe this is only issue with Debian Gimp Package?

Few Years ago i saw this option in Edit / Preferences / Interface but in this version i can't find it.

Dominik Tabisz

Alexandre Prokoudine
2013-04-15 23:19:31 UTC (about 11 years ago)

On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 3:08 AM, Dominik Tabisz wrote:

Wish it worked in Gimp 2.6.10 ... or maybe this is only issue with Debian Gimp Package?

Few Years ago i saw this option in Edit / Preferences / Interface but in this version i can't find it.

It's only available since 2.8 (well, 2.7.x really).

Alexandre Prokoudine http://libregraphicsworld.org

Kevin Cozens
2013-04-15 23:19:35 UTC (about 11 years ago)

On 13-04-15 07:08 PM, Dominik Tabisz wrote:

Language selection is available in GIMP 2.8 under Edit->Preferences, select Interfaces tab, and there is a selection bar under "Language" at the top of the settings on the right side of the dialog box.

Unless this feature was a recent addition for 2.8 (I no longer have a 2.6 so I can't check it) it should be in the 2.6 release. If that fails, set the LANG(?) environment variable before running GIMP.

Cheers!

Kevin.

http://www.ve3syb.ca/           |"Nerds make the shiny things that distract
Owner of Elecraft K2 #2172      | the mouth-breathers, and that's why we're
                                 | powerful!"
#include  |             --Chris Hardwick
Dominik Tabisz
2013-04-16 00:10:38 UTC (about 11 years ago)

Thanks Kevin

This trick with Locale environment variable worked :D When i start gimp like this:

~$ LANG=en_US.UTF8 gimp

it work, and menu is english.

Outside i use GIMP 2.8 portable, at home i use 2.6 and in emergency situations whatever GIMP version is aviable in LiveCD systems. Too many versions, too many similar ui ... it's really easy for mistake.

Dominik Tabisz

Burnie West
2013-04-16 00:40:01 UTC (about 11 years ago)

On 04/15/2013 04:19 PM, Kevin Cozens wrote:

set the LANG(?) environment variable

From Fedora 18 release notes: - ymmv:

2.3.2.2. |/etc/sysconfig/i18n| has been replaced by |/etc/locale.conf|

Environment variables and configuration directives now belong in |/etc/locale.conf|. The locale settings configured here are system wide and inherited by every service or user, unless overridden or unset by individual programs or users.
For more information, see |man locale.conf

export LANG=en_US.UTF-8 |