RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Quality of animated gif is bad

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

6 of 6 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Quality of animated gif is bad Jaap Haitsma 11 Jul 23:35
  Quality of animated gif is bad Jakub Steiner 12 Jul 01:42
   Quality of animated gif is bad Sven Neumann 12 Jul 09:30
    Quality of animated gif is bad Tom Cole 12 Jul 15:25
     Quality of animated gif is bad Sven Neumann 12 Jul 17:36
      Quality of animated gif is bad Geoffrey 12 Jul 19:02
Jaap Haitsma
2004-07-11 23:35:39 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Hi,

I want to make an animated gif of the gnome throbber of nautilus. I got the original png which contains a rectangle containing the 35 frames. I cut these out and put them in a seperate layer in GIMP. If I then play the animation in GIMP or save it as an animated GIF and then play it. The toes of the gnome foot seem to leave something behind See:
http://ftp.haitsma.org/gnome-throbber.gif

The layers with the frame are all in this file. They look fine. http://ftp.haitsma.org/gnome-throbber.xcf If I however play this file in GIMP I get the same behaviour as the gif file.

Anyone knows how I can this working?

Thanks

Jaap

Jakub Steiner
2004-07-12 01:42:46 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

On Sun, 2004-07-11 at 23:35 +0200, Jaap Haitsma wrote:

Hi,

I want to make an animated gif of the gnome throbber of nautilus. I got the original png which contains a rectangle containing the 35 frames. I cut these out and put them in a seperate layer in GIMP. If I then play the animation in GIMP or save it as an animated GIF and then play it. The toes of the gnome foot seem to leave something behind See:
http://ftp.haitsma.org/gnome-throbber.gif

Looks like you're using combine as a frame disposal method while you need replace. Also note, that GIF cannot handle alpha channel, so you'll still end up having aliased contour of the gnome throbber. If you know your target background color, you can flatten or semi-flatten prior to indexing.

cheers

Sven Neumann
2004-07-12 09:30:29 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Hi,

Jakub Steiner writes:

Looks like you're using combine as a frame disposal method while you need replace. Also note, that GIF cannot handle alpha channel, so you'll still end up having aliased contour of the gnome throbber. If you know your target background color, you can flatten or semi-flatten prior to indexing.

Or use a proper file format for animations such as MNG. GIF is a piece of crap and should have died a long time ago already.

Sven

Tom Cole
2004-07-12 15:25:31 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

True, but it's still widely used and has more support than PNG. It's the perennial web designer's nightmare - you hate IE but you have to code for it anyway because everyone uses it. The compromise between what should be done and what has to be done. In the same way, PNG is not as widely and well-supported as it should be, at least in IE.

Tom

On Monday 12 Jul 2004 08:30, Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

Jakub Steiner writes:

Or use a proper file format for animations such as MNG. GIF is a piece of crap and should have died a long time ago already.

Sven

Sven Neumann
2004-07-12 17:36:09 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Hi,

Tom Cole writes:

True, but it's still widely used and has more support than PNG. It's the perennial web designer's nightmare - you hate IE but you have to code for it anyway because everyone uses it. The compromise between what should be done and what has to be done. In the same way, PNG is not as widely and well-supported as it should be, at least in IE.

Sort of true but things will never change if everyone thinks and acts this way. Only if you web-designers start to write spec-compliant pages and use the proper formats, only then will the browsers be fixed to render these pages correctly.

Sven

Geoffrey
2004-07-12 19:02:26 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

Tom Cole writes:

Sort of true but things will never change if everyone thinks and acts this way. Only if you web-designers start to write spec-compliant pages and use the proper formats, only then will the browsers be fixed to render these pages correctly.

Go a step further. When you identify a browser that does not support current standards (typically, IE), let the user know, either with a popup or such. How many times have you seen similar messages telling you, you MUST use IE for a particular website?