RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

How do I make a copyright symbol?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

6 of 7 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

How do I make a copyright symbol? Michael Larsen 04 Jul 04:28
  How do I make a copyright symbol? Sven Neumann 04 Jul 11:14
  How do I make a copyright symbol? Steve Stavropoulos 04 Jul 16:59
  How do I make a copyright symbol? Carol Spears 06 Jul 05:15
How do I make a copyright symbol? Jae 04 Jul 22:58
  How do I make a copyright symbol? GSR - FR 05 Jul 16:40
20040704190034.C2AB1129A2@l... 07 Oct 20:16
Michael Larsen
2004-07-04 04:28:02 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Hi all,

I'm a photographer and I just started using GIMP. I'm used to Photoshop and so the transition has a bit of a learning curve. What I need to know is how to make a copyright symbol in the Text tool for addition to my photos. Also, is there a good sight I can check out for plug-ins and/or filters to add that might be similar to those available in Photoshop?

Thanks for your help. Have a very safe holiday weekend (those who are celebrating the 4th of July).

Mike

Sven Neumann
2004-07-04 11:14:07 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Hi.

Michael Larsen writes:

I'm a photographer and I just started using GIMP. I'm used to Photoshop and so the transition has a bit of a learning curve. What I need to know is how to make a copyright symbol in the Text tool for addition to my photos.

You just need to enter the copyright symbol. One way to do that is to use a character picker application like gucharmap. gucharmap also registers a GTK+ input module so it is accessible from the right-click menu in the text editor.

Sven

Steve Stavropoulos
2004-07-04 16:59:34 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

On Sat, 3 Jul 2004, Michael Larsen wrote:

Also, is there a good sight I can check out for plug-ins and/or filters to add that might be similar to those available in Photoshop?

http://registry.gimp.org/ , but what plugin do you think you are missing? I think gimp has a pretty complete collection of plugins bundled in.

Jae
2004-07-04 22:58:31 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

I'm a photographer and I just started using GIMP. I'm used to Photoshop and so the transition has a bit of a learning curve. What I need to know is how to make a copyright symbol in the Text tool for addition to my photos.

If you're using Mac, the easiest thing to do is to hold down Option and hit "G". On Windows, the easiest thing to do is to hold down ALT, then on the KEYPAD, type in 0169. See? ©

As for sites for plugins... http://registry.gimp.org/index.jsp

~Jae

GSR - FR
2004-07-05 16:40:43 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

jae@mchsi.com (2004-07-04 at 1558.31 -0500):

If you're using Mac, the easiest thing to do is to hold down Option and hit "G". On Windows, the easiest thing to do is to hold down ALT, then on the KEYPAD, type in 0169. See? ©

And for X11, you can use the Compose way: hit compose key and two other (combinations of) keys in order (first Compose, then R, finally O, with my kbd config). Compose is Shift+AltGr (in my kbd), R is Shift+r and O is Shift+o (that is what I meant with combinations of keys). Run xev and start hitting all combinations you can think of until you see Compose (or Multi_key, that is the other name for it). The full list of combinations should be avaliable as /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/locale//Compose.

It is a great thing of X11, fast and easy to remember for typical combinations, but seems to get zero publicity, as well as the AltGr (Mode_switch in xev) one, which is like using shift, but to get other chars instead of caps (AltGr+s to get ssharp/beta ß, and AltGr+Shift+s for section symbol §).

GSR

Carol Spears
2004-07-06 05:15:19 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

On Sat, Jul 03, 2004 at 10:28:02PM -0400, Michael Larsen wrote:

Hi all,

I'm a photographer and I just started using GIMP. I'm used to Photoshop and so the transition has a bit of a learning curve. What I need to know is how to make a copyright symbol in the Text tool for addition to my photos. Also, is there a good sight I can check out for plug-ins

you can paste it from a web page.

my photos. Also, is there a good sight I can check out for plug-ins and/or filters to add that might be similar to those available in Photoshop?

i have been watching photoshop tutorials lately. since both apps were written to accomplish the same tasks i have been able to get gimp to do most of the things photoshop did.

one tutorial i saw recently used a "difference layer". photoshop could get this layer in one step. for me to get gimp to do this, i needed to add a layer and then change its mode from "normal" to "difference" via the layers dialog. i also checked out what the other modes did to the same technique by trying other modes. so not only does gimp take a minimum of two steps for this thing that photoshop does in one step -- it might take even more steps since you are curious like me.

everything else will be a similar translation.

enjoy the gimp!

carol