RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

transparent backgrounds and windows explorer

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

transparent backgrounds and windows explorer David A Iacobellis 02 Jul 23:26
  transparent backgrounds and windows explorer Alex Dunaevsky 03 Jul 00:03
   transparent backgrounds and windows explorer Jonathan Bartlett 03 Jul 00:00
    transparent backgrounds and windows explorer Brion Vibber 03 Jul 01:16
David A Iacobellis
2004-07-02 23:26:07 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Hello,

I developed a website and used script-fu/logos in gimp 1.2 to make the logos and buttons. I then removed the background layer from the image to give me a transparent background. In mozilla and konqueror the images are rendered correctly but recently I pulled up the website on a friends windows xp machine with internet explorer and discovered the logos transparent background shows up as white. Can anyone tell me why this is and also if there is a way to correct this.

Thanks in advance,

Dave

Jonathan Bartlett
2004-07-03 00:00:05 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

If you're using PNG it's because Internet Explorer SUCKS at rendering PNGs. IE can only do binary transparency, it cannot do a full alpha channel.

Jon

Alex Dunaevsky
2004-07-03 00:03:32 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

On Fri, 2 Jul 2004 17:26:07 -0400 David A Iacobellis wrote:

Hello,

I developed a website and used script-fu/logos in gimp 1.2 to make the logos and buttons. I then removed the background layer from the image to give me a transparent background. In mozilla and konqueror the images are rendered correctly but recently I pulled up the website on a friends windows xp machine with internet explorer and discovered the logos transparent background shows up as white. Can anyone tell me why this is and also if there is a way to correct this.

Thanks in advance,

Dave

what image format are you using?

Brion Vibber
2004-07-03 01:16:30 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Jonathan Bartlett wrote:

If you're using PNG it's because Internet Explorer SUCKS at rendering PNGs. IE can only do binary transparency, it cannot do a full alpha channel.

There are two ways around this: you can convert the image in Gimp to indexed color (yuck, but compatible; not suitable for all types of images), or use terrible scary IE hacks to make it render alpha transparency (looks great, but doesn't always work depending on IE version and security settings).

See: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;294714

There are some scripts to automate use of this hack such as: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/bobosola/index.htm

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)