RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

multi-threaded Gimp

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

11 of 11 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

multi-threaded Gimp maderios 18 Oct 11:47
  multi-threaded Gimp Alexandre Prokoudine 18 Oct 11:49
   multi-threaded Gimp scl 18 Oct 17:10
    multi-threaded Gimp maderios 18 Oct 17:20
multi-threaded Gimp Alexandre Prokoudine 18 Oct 11:55
  multi-threaded Gimp maderios 18 Oct 13:03
multi-threaded Gimp Jernej Simončič 18 Oct 19:05
  multi-threaded Gimp maderios 19 Oct 09:12
  multi-threaded Gimp Dexter Filmore 19 Oct 14:50
   multi-threaded Gimp Liam R E Quin 19 Oct 20:29
    multi-threaded Gimp Bgs 19 Oct 21:04
maderios
2012-10-18 11:47:56 UTC (over 11 years ago)

multi-threaded Gimp

Hi
When saving png image (ex 4496 × 3000 pixels) Gimp is very slow. I have a Core I7 with 8 cpu. I noticed Gimp use only 1 cpu to save image. Any solution about a multi-threaded Gimp ? Best regards

Alexandre Prokoudine
2012-10-18 11:49:46 UTC (over 11 years ago)

multi-threaded Gimp

On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 3:47 PM, maderios wrote:

Hi
When saving png image (ex 4496 3000 pixels) Gimp is very slow. I have a Core I7 with 8 cpu. I noticed Gimp use only 1 cpu to save image. Any solution about a multi-threaded Gimp ?

Not in the stable version, sorry.

Alexandre Prokoudine http://libregraphicsworld.org

gimp-user-list mailing list
gimp-user-list@gnome.org
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
Alexandre Prokoudine
2012-10-18 11:55:22 UTC (over 11 years ago)

multi-threaded Gimp

On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 3:53 PM, maderios wrote:

May be in the future ?

Sure :)

Alexandre Prokoudine http://libregraphicsworld.org

maderios
2012-10-18 13:03:00 UTC (over 11 years ago)

multi-threaded Gimp

On 10/18/2012 01:55 PM, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:

On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 3:53 PM, maderios wrote:

May be in the future ?

Sure :)

Thanks. So we wait...
Regards

scl
2012-10-18 17:10:10 UTC (over 11 years ago)

multi-threaded Gimp

Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:

Any solution about a multi-threaded Gimp ?

What about the 'Number of processors' option in the Preferences/Environment dialog?

Kind regards,

Sven

maderios
2012-10-18 17:20:39 UTC (over 11 years ago)

multi-threaded Gimp

On 10/18/2012 07:10 PM, scl wrote:

Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:

Any solution about a multi-threaded Gimp ?

What about the 'Number of processors' option in the Preferences/Environment dialog?

Preferences/Environment
processors to use 8

Regards

Jernej Simončič
2012-10-18 19:05:35 UTC (over 11 years ago)

multi-threaded Gimp

On Thu, 18 Oct 2012 13:47:56 +0200, maderios wrote:

I have a Core I7 with 8 cpu. I noticed Gimp use only 1 cpu to save image.

If you're talking about saving a file, there's not much that can be done - saving isn't something that can be parallelized.

maderios
2012-10-19 09:12:26 UTC (over 11 years ago)

multi-threaded Gimp

On 10/18/2012 09:05 PM, Jernej Simončič wrote:

If you're talking about saving a file, there's not much that can be done - saving isn't something that can be parallelized.

It's not only saving. When you save a .png, you compress it. Saving with Gimp is slow because it compress .png . Saving .xcf is very quick because no compression, I think...
Greetings

Dexter Filmore
2012-10-19 14:50:55 UTC (over 11 years ago)

multi-threaded Gimp

Am Thursday 18 October 2012 21:05:35 schrieb Jernej Simončič:

Well... writing to disk sure can't, but I guess there are image compression algos that can utilize multicores? After all, formats as png and jpg as far as I know, correct me if I'm wrong, tile the image and work on the tiles first.
so if one would allocate a target memory area in RAM first and then fill the mem map with the to-be-saved data one could open a file handle right from the start and copy the mem portions to disk as they get filled by the compression algo.

Or another approach would be make a copy of the image in RAM and do the save in the background. That way when using the same file name one would even narrow the state transition of the file to a minumum.

Just an idea.

Liam R E Quin
2012-10-19 20:29:09 UTC (over 11 years ago)

multi-threaded Gimp

On Fri, 2012-10-19 at 16:50 +0200, Dexter Filmore wrote:

Am Thursday 18 October 2012 21:05:35 schrieb Jernej Simončič:

Well... writing to disk sure can't, but I guess there are image compression algos that can utilize multicores? After all, formats as png and jpg as far as I know, correct me if I'm wrong, tile the image and work on the tiles first.

Yes, both jpeg and png are amenable to some thread support. For that matter, disk writes can be parallelized and this can in fact help with perceived performance, although it an also make the system so busy it appears to "freeze up" during a save. Since saving a PNG file takes several minutes even on fairly fast computers I can sympathize with the desire to make it go faster.

so if one would allocate a target memory area in RAM first and then fill the mem map with the to-be-saved data one could open a file handle right from the start and copy the mem portions to disk as they get filled by the compression algo.

The problem with this is that you don't know in advance how much memoro to allocate or where to write, because the compression varies depending on patterns of light and dark (for example) in the image.

Or another approach would be make a copy of the image in RAM and do the save in the background. That way when using the same file name one would even narrow the state transition of the file to a minumum.

It's done in a separate process right now, but copying the image in memory, if it's, say, a one gigabyte image, might be problematic. And the images that need to be sped up are the fast ones.

It might be faster in some cases for gimp to do a "merge visible layers" before a save, I don't know.

Liam

Bgs
2012-10-19 21:04:38 UTC (over 11 years ago)

multi-threaded Gimp

Hi,

On 10/19/2012 10:29 PM, Liam R E Quin wrote:

The problem with this is that you don't know in advance how much memoro to allocate or where to write, because the compression varies depending on patterns of light and dark (for example) in the image.

I've never actually coded png compression so correct me if I'm wrong.

If you have n cores. You allocate n blocks of memory assuming worst compression outcome and start to parallely compress blocks you only use a reasonably small amount of memory. (n times the worst case size of a png tile). For each block that is ready and can be appended to the disk file, you write out the block ans start to compress the next unhandled block. Of course this is asynchronous as some blocks will finish to compress before the next-to-be-written-out is still working, but you still speed up compression by a big factor and still have a small and static compression buffer.

If you add a write-out-queue you can achieve a more effective parallelism while still limiting memory usage.

Just my 2c.

Bye Bgs

It's done in a separate process right now, but copying the image in memory, if it's, say, a one gigabyte image, might be problematic. And the images that need to be sped up are the fast ones.

It might be faster in some cases for gimp to do a "merge visible layers" before a save, I don't know.

Liam