RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Problem with GIMP or KDE?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

9 of 9 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Problem with GIMP or KDE? Steve Crane 23 Jun 23:33
  Problem with GIMP or KDE? Owen Cook 24 Jun 00:15
   Problem with GIMP or KDE? Joao S. O. Bueno 24 Jun 04:32
    Problem with GIMP or KDE? Owen 24 Jun 07:52
     Problem with GIMP or KDE? Owen 24 Jun 10:14
     Problem with GIMP or KDE? Joao S. O. Bueno 24 Jun 13:56
     Problem with GIMP or KDE? Sven Neumann 28 Jun 13:17
  Problem with GIMP or KDE? Joao S. O. Bueno 24 Jun 04:30
   Problem with GIMP or KDE? Steve Crane 24 Jun 23:13
Steve Crane
2004-06-23 23:33:11 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Hi,

I'm having a little problem with GIMP 2.0.0 running on KDE. I know there is a later version of GIMP but I think that this may just be a case of GIMP and KDE not interacting well and there may be a setting (probably in KDE) that will correct it.

I use the rectangular selection tool in fixed aspect ration mode to select areas for cropping. After I make the selection I sometimes need to move it slightly. As the Alt key appears to be bound to the window manager I use Alt-Shift to allow me to drag the selection boundary. I used to do this before with GIMP 1.2.3 on a previous KDE version with no trouble. However it now causes the keyboard to go into a weird state where key presses cause a beep and do not register. If you hold the key depressed for a little longer than usual it does register the key press and does not trigger key repeat unless you hold it even longer.

Once the keyboard is in this state I have found no way to get out of it although I'm sure there must be one. Does anyone know? The only way I have been able to reset it is to log off, thereby restarting X. This is inconvenient and costs me money as it means I have to drop an reconnect my dial-up Internet connection for which I have a fixed maximum per call rate.

Does anyone know why this is happening and more importantly if it is due to some setting in either GIMP or KDE being misconfigured? Strangely it does not seem to happen with every use of Alt-Shift but I have not been able to work out any specific pattern.

Thanks.

Owen Cook
2004-06-24 00:15:00 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004, Steve Crane wrote:

I'm having a little problem with GIMP 2.0.0 running on KDE. I know there is a later version of GIMP but I think that this may just be a case of GIMP and KDE not interacting well and there may be a setting (probably in KDE) that will correct it.

I use the rectangular selection tool in fixed aspect ration mode to select areas for cropping. After I make the selection I sometimes need to move it slightly. As the Alt key appears to be bound to the window manager I use Alt-Shift to allow me to drag the selection boundary. I used to do this before with GIMP 1.2.3 on a previous KDE version with no trouble. However it now causes the keyboard to go into a weird state where key presses cause a beep and do not register. If you hold the key depressed for a little longer than usual it does register the key press and does not trigger key repeat unless you hold it even longer.

I have 2.0.2 , Mdk10 with the latest KDE and cannot replicate your problem. However, I do have other problems with KDE and have now switched to Icewm where "all my problems" have disappeared!

So I wonder if you try another window manager and see what happens?

I have found that when I got a lock up like you, my escape route was to Alt+Ctrl+F8 which dropped me into a console. That at least allowed me to continue some background processes thought iirc killall X and restart didn't get me back(nor did Alt+F7), maybe do some experiments without your dial-up connection.

HTH

Owen

Joao S. O. Bueno
2004-06-24 04:30:05 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Hi,

the way to go is to turn off alt actions on KDE.

Do this: launch kcontrol, click in 'look and feel'-> window behavior->actions and on the bottom pane, where it reads "modifier key + left button", change the action to "nothing". Apply, and happy gimping!

JS ->

On Wednesday 23 June 2004 18:33, Steve Crane wrote:

Hi,

I'm having a little problem with GIMP 2.0.0 running on KDE. I know there is a later version of GIMP but I think that this may just be a case of GIMP and KDE not interacting well and there may be a setting (probably in KDE) that will correct it. (...)

Joao S. O. Bueno
2004-06-24 04:32:48 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

On Wednesday 23 June 2004 19:15, Owen Cook wrote:

I have 2.0.2 , Mdk10 with the latest KDE and cannot replicate your problem. However, I do have other problems with KDE and have now switched to Icewm where "all my problems" have disappeared!

So I wonder if you try another window manager and see what happens?

I have found that when I got a lock up like you, my escape route was to Alt+Ctrl+F8 which dropped me into a console. That at least allowed me to continue some background processes thought iirc killall X and restart didn't get me back(nor did Alt+F7), maybe do some experiments without your dial-up connection.

EEEKKkkkkkkkk

I sometimes get tired of all this anti-kdecism around the web. The stuff is just good, and all it takes is to use a plain GUI to change the behaviour of the alt key.

I know it was not your intention here, but I had t o reply lest anyone quote you for anti-KDE FUD.

HTH

Owen

Owen
2004-06-24 07:52:31 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 23:32:48 -0300 "Joao S. O. Bueno" wrote:

I sometimes get tired of all this anti-kdecism around the web. The stuff is just good, and all it takes is to use a plain GUI to change the behaviour of the alt key.

Nothing against KDE, been using it for a couple of years.

However the KDE with Mdk10 does not retain focus in the layers dialogue. Sven said "something is broke" with your gtkrc but I can't fix it, so I just use Icewm. Things work fine there.

Owen
2004-06-24 10:14:03 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 15:52:31 +1000 Owen wrote:

However the KDE with Mdk10 does not retain focus in the layers dialogue.

I meant to add that was with 2.0.2. (also 2.0.1 and 2.1)

Gimp-1.2 works correctly in KDE

Joao S. O. Bueno
2004-06-24 13:56:38 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

On Thursday 24 June 2004 02:52, Owen wrote:

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 23:32:48 -0300

"Joao S. O. Bueno" wrote:

Nothing against KDE, been using it for a couple of years.

However the KDE with Mdk10 does not retain focus in the layers dialogue. Sven said "something is broke" with your gtkrc but I can't fix it, so I just use Icewm. Things work fine there.

Hm,
I seee the layer dialgo problem. Affects me at the office, but not at home, for the following reason: active layer is marked in the layers dialog with the KDE standard background color, and inactive layers use white, that may come from gtkrc's.

It just happens that at home my standard KDE background is set to light purple, not white. If at anytime you want to switch back, and don want to fiddle with the gtkRC, I'd suggest you to swicth the KDE background to some lightsh gray or other color of your choice.

OTO, since the colors used are gtkrc background and window manager background, this problem may actually be a bug that belongs to the GIMP.

Regards,
JS
->

Steve Crane
2004-06-24 23:13:09 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

On Wed, Jun 23, 2004 at 11:30:05PM -0300, Joao S. O. Bueno wrote:

the way to go is to turn off alt actions on KDE.

Thanks Joao, that was just what I needed.

Sven Neumann
2004-06-28 13:17:30 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Hi,

Owen writes:

It does retain focus. It's just that the GTK+ theme uses the same color for the selected state than for the unselected state. That's a bug in the theme.

Sven