RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

GIMP installation on Solaris

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

8 of 8 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

GIMP installation on Solaris Colin Bannister 14 Jun 17:47
  GIMP installation on Solaris Carol Spears 14 Jun 19:14
  GIMP installation on Solaris Sven Neumann 14 Jun 19:15
GIMP installation on Solaris Colin Bannister 15 Jun 14:20
  GIMP installation on Solaris Sven Neumann 15 Jun 15:22
  GIMP installation on Solaris Carol Spears 15 Jun 15:31
GIMP installation on Solaris Colin Bannister 16 Jun 13:33
GIMP installation on Solaris Colin Bannister 22 Jun 13:44
Colin Bannister
2004-06-14 17:47:01 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Hello,

I am trying to install GIMP 2.0.1 from source on a Solaris 2.8 machine. Unfortunately, I have not managed to get the prerequisite GTK 2.4.1 to install. I am following the instructions in 'install_help.html' from the GIMP web site.

pkg-config seems to install OK glib 2.4.1 installs OK.
pango 1.4.0 OK
ATK 1.6.0 OK

Gtk configure fails at:

checking for GLIB version >= 2.4.0... no *** Could not run GLIB test program, checking why... etc...

This is SECOND check for GLIB, first check passed!:

checking for glib-2.0 >= 2.4.0 atk >= 1.0.1 pango >= 1.4.0... yes

the message says it might be finding an old version of Glib, but I do not want to remove this and damage other installations of GIMP/GTK (I thought it WAS possible to have parallel installations of GTK).

Has anyone else experienced this difficulty? Could anyone suggest a way to install GIMP 2.0.1 that doesn't risk breaking the existing 1.2.5 installation ?

Thanks,

Colin

Dr. Colin Bannister Information Services
Cripps Computing Centre
Tel: 0115 9513326
Fax: 0115 9513358
www: www.nottingham.ac.uk/~cczcb/
e-mail: colin.bannister@nottingham.ac.uk

This message has been scanned but we cannot guarantee that it and any attachments are free from viruses or other damaging content: you are advised to perform your own checks. Email communications with the University of Nottingham may be monitored as permitted by UK legislation.

Carol Spears
2004-06-14 19:14:22 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

hi
On Mon, Jun 14, 2004 at 04:47:01PM +0100, Colin Bannister wrote:

Hello,

I am trying to install GIMP 2.0.1 from source on a Solaris 2.8 machine. Unfortunately, I have not managed to get the prerequisite GTK 2.4.1 to install. I am following the instructions in 'install_help.html' from the GIMP web site.

pkg-config seems to install OK glib 2.4.1 installs OK.
pango 1.4.0 OK
ATK 1.6.0 OK

Gtk configure fails at:

checking for GLIB version >= 2.4.0... no *** Could not run GLIB test program, checking why... etc...

the message says it might be finding an old version of Glib, but I do not want to remove this and damage other installations of GIMP/GTK (I thought it WAS possible to have parallel installations of GTK).

Has anyone else experienced this difficulty? Could anyone suggest a way to install

we have been seeing this exact problem with debian, fedora, suse. maybe mandrake -- i cannot remember exactly.

it seems to be a problem with pkg-config and the suggestions of how to fix it are many.

for some reason, there is a glib-2.4 on your computer but there is no glib-2.4.pc in the place that pkg-config should be putting one. in that place is a glib-2.3.pc.

how to fix this on solaris? i dunno. i built my own and put a pc file in the path. which glib is my gimp using? i have no idea. it works fine.

so, you will have to figure out the best way to put this .pc file into the place it should be for solaris.

if someone else who is using solaris tells you they are not having these problems, ignore them.

carol

Sven Neumann
2004-06-14 19:15:50 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Hi,

"Colin Bannister" writes:

Has anyone else experienced this difficulty? Could anyone suggest a way to install GIMP 2.0.1 that doesn't risk breaking the existing 1.2.5 installation ?

gimp-1.2 can be kept installed in parallel with gimp-2.0, even in the same prefix. The same goes for gtk+-1.2 and gtk+-2.x. So installing gimp-2.0 and/or gtk+-2.x can hardly break your gimp-1.2 installation.

What does not work is to have different versions of the gtk+-2.x libraries in the standard system search paths. Since the 2.x libraries are all backward-compatible there's also not much point for a user in having both gtk+-2.2 and gtk+-2.4 installed. If you need a newer version, then please update the one that is installed instead of installing newer version next to it.

Sven

Colin Bannister
2004-06-15 14:20:45 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Carol Spears 14/06/2004 18:14:22 >>>

Gtk configure fails at:

Has anyone else experienced this difficulty? Could anyone suggest a way to install

we have been seeing this exact problem with debian, fedora, suse. maybe mandrake -- i cannot remember exactly.

it seems to be a problem with pkg-config and the suggestions of how to fix it are many.

for some reason, there is a glib-2.4 on your computer but there is no glib-2.4.pc in the place that pkg-config should be putting one. in that place is a glib-2.3.pc.

I am getting a bit further, but have had to install glib in a 'standard' location (i.e. under /usr/local) rather than the test area I was using. The 'pc' file for glib seems to be glib-2.0.pc by the way, and is OK.

Now when configuring GTK I get further, but it fails with

sh: gnome-config: not found configure: error: Pango 1.2.0 and Xft backend is required for x11 target

Now, the installation document does say installation of FreeType2 is a prerequisite, and I've managed to install this. It also mentions 'PangoFT2', and I am wondering if this is what is missing. I have not managed to find a download for this, so I don't know if its part of another package. Could someone help me find 'PangoFT2' ?

Thanks,

Colin

This message has been scanned but we cannot guarantee that it and any attachments are free from viruses or other damaging content: you are advised to perform your own checks. Email communications with the University of Nottingham may be monitored as permitted by UK legislation.

Sven Neumann
2004-06-15 15:22:40 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Hi,

"Colin Bannister" writes:

configure: error: Pango 1.2.0 and Xft backend is required for x11 target

Now, the installation document does say installation of FreeType2 is a prerequisite, and I've managed to install this. It also mentions 'PangoFT2', and I am wondering if this is what is missing. I have not managed to find a download for this, so I don't know if its part of another package. Could someone help me find 'PangoFT2' ?

Pango is a requirement for GTK+ as is clearly stated in lots of documents including this one:

http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/gtk/gtk-building.html

Sven

Carol Spears
2004-06-15 15:31:27 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

On Tue, Jun 15, 2004 at 01:20:45PM +0100, Colin Bannister wrote:

I am getting a bit further, but have had to install glib in a 'standard' location (i.e. under /usr/local) rather than the test area I was using. The 'pc' file for glib seems to be glib-2.0.pc by the way, and is OK.

Now when configuring GTK I get further, but it fails with

sh: gnome-config: not found configure: error: Pango 1.2.0 and Xft backend is required for x11 target

it has been a long time since i had to build pango. looks like you might need to build one also.

running ./configure --help before you build it might show you a way to build the FT2 parts.

carol

Colin Bannister
2004-06-16 13:33:48 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Carol Spears 15/06/2004 14:31:27 >>>

it has been a long time since i had to build pango. looks like you might need to build one also.

running ./configure --help before you build it might show you a way to build the FT2 parts.

carol

Thanks, Carol. I had installed pango as a prerequisite, but on re-reading the Pango README I've seen that 'fontconfig' needs to be on the system, or it won't build PangoFT2, which is part of pango.

Colin

Colin Bannister
2004-06-22 13:44:33 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

My installation of GIMP on Solaris is not going well!

Its stuck in compilation of the Xft prerequisite for Pango. I've appended the error, which is the result of trying to build xft 2.1.2, just in case someone reading this thinks they can assist.

Any users of GIMP 2 on Solaris ? How did you build it ?

Thanks,

Colin

granby$ make make all-am
if /bin/bash ./libtool --mode=compile gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I. -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/local/include/freetype2 -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/openwin/include -g -O2 -MT xftcolor.lo -MD -MP -MF ".deps/xftcolor.Tpo" \ -c -o xftcolor.lo `test -f 'xftcolor.c' || echo './'`xftcolor.c; \ then mv ".deps/xftcolor.Tpo" ".deps/xftcolor.Plo"; \ else rm -f ".deps/xftcolor.Tpo"; exit 1; \ fi
gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I. -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/local/include/freetype2 -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/openwin/include -g -O2 -MT xftcolor.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/xftcolor.Tpo -c xftcolor.c -fPIC -o .libs/xftcolor.o cc1: warning: changing search order for system directory "/usr/local/include" cc1: warning: as it has already been specified as a non-system directory In file included from xftint.h:39,
from xftcolor.c:25: Xft.h:58: parse error before "_XftFTlibrary" Xft.h:58: warning: data definition has no type or storage class Xft.h:92: parse error before "FT_UInt" Xft.h:92: warning: no semicolon at end of struct or union Xft.h:95: parse error before '}' token Xft.h:95: warning: data definition has no type or storage class Xft.h:99: parse error before "FT_UInt" Xft.h:99: warning: no semicolon at end of struct or union Xft.h:102: parse error before '}' token Xft.h:102: warning: data definition has no type or storage class Xft.h:196: parse error before '*' token Xft.h:262: parse error before '*' token Xft.h:268: parse error before '*' token Xft.h:301: parse error before '*' token Xft.h:360: parse error before "XftLockFace" Xft.h:360: warning: data definition has no type or storage class Xft.h:399: parse error before '*' token Xft.h:405: parse error before '*' token Xft.h:414: parse error before "FT_UInt" Xft.h:424: parse error before "XftCharIndex" Xft.h:426: warning: data definition has no type or storage class Xft.h:467: parse error before '*' token Xft.h:478: parse error before '*' token Xft.h:499: parse error before '*' token In file included from xftint.h:41,
from xftcolor.c:25: /usr/local/include/fontconfig/fcfreetype.h:31: parse error before "FcFreeTypeCharIndex" /usr/local/include/fontconfig/fcfreetype.h:31: parse error before "face" /usr/local/include/fontconfig/fcfreetype.h:31: warning: data definition has no type or storage class /usr/local/include/fontconfig/fcfreetype.h:34: parse error before "face" /usr/local/include/fontconfig/fcfreetype.h:37: parse error before "face" /usr/local/include/fontconfig/fcfreetype.h:40: parse error before "FT_Face" /usr/local/include/fontconfig/fcfreetype.h:43: parse error before "f" In file included from xftcolor.c:25: xftint.h:67: parse error before "FT_UInt" xftint.h:67: warning: no semicolon at end of struct or union xftint.h:68: warning: data definition has no type or storage class xftint.h:84: parse error before "FT_F26Dot6" xftint.h:84: warning: no semicolon at end of struct or union xftint.h:85: warning: data definition has no type or storage class xftint.h:86: parse error before "matrix" xftint.h:86: warning: data definition has no type or storage class xftint.h:89: parse error before "face" xftint.h:89: warning: data definition has no type or storage class xftint.h:90: warning: data definition has no type or storage class xftint.h:102: parse error before "XftFtFile" xftint.h:102: warning: no semicolon at end of struct or union xftint.h:106: warning: data definition has no type or storage class xftint.h:109: parse error before "matrix" xftint.h:109: warning: data definition has no type or storage class xftint.h:111: parse error before "load_flags" xftint.h:111: warning: data definition has no type or storage class xftint.h:119: parse error before '}' token xftint.h:129: field `info' has incomplete type xftint.h:141: parse error before "XftUcsHash" xftint.h:141: warning: no semicolon at end of struct or union xftint.h:155: parse error before '}' token xftint.h:155: warning: data definition has no type or storage class xftint.h:312: parse error before '*' token xftint.h:319: parse error before '*' token xftint.h:325: parse error before '*' token xftint.h:370: parse error before '*' token *** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `xftcolor.lo' Current working directory /work/cczcb/xft-2.1.2 *** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `all'