RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

install probs

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

install probs squareyes 11 Jun 17:11
  install probs BandiPat 11 Jun 15:00
  install probs John Culleton 22 Nov 13:45
   install probs Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris 22 Nov 15:44
BandiPat
2004-06-11 15:00:16 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

install probs

On Friday 11 June 2004 11:11 am, squareyes wrote:

Hi all,
I had Gimp 2 up and running (from gimp-2.0.0-richard.1mdk.i586.rpm) on Mandrake 10, which was installed as an update from Man 9.1. Installed Gimp 2.0 with no probs, but have since had to reformat. Installed Mandrake 10 as a fresh install, now am having probs getting Gimp 2 to install from same rpm. Keep getting

"Installation failed, some files are missing: /mnt/cdrom/gimp-2.0.0-richard.1mdk.i586.rpm You may want to update your urpmi database"

Installed urpmi.setup to try and update, have no idea what I am doing, as it seems to want to update the 4 Mandrake install disks, which is not possible.
Have tried copying rpm to hard drive and installing from there, same. ==============

Winton,
I'm no Mandrake expert by any means, but this error sounds like you are missing some needed GTK+ files. I suspect MDK 10 only installed the Gnome files needed to run most programs, but didn't some that Gimp needed. Just a guess, not certain. I would think when trying to install, it would give you more details though. What you might try is to install the rpm from a shell with: rpm -Uhv gimp-2.0.0-richard.1mdk.i586.rpm"

If there are unmet dependencies or conflicts, they will show there. -----------------------

Tried the rpm from Mandrake cooker site, and get this error message.

"Some package requested cannot be installed: gimp2_0-2.0.1-1mdk.i586 (due to unsatisfied libgimpwidgets-2.0.so.0) do you agree ?"

As I am unsatisfied most of the time I had to agree :-) What is a libgimpwidget?, which ones do I need?, where would I get them?, and if I can get them, what do I do with them? (without being rude :-) ) Sorry I am a rank beginner here.

Any helpfull suggestions would be most gratefully accepted.

Many thanks in advance, Take Care
Winton

==============

libgimpwidget is actually part of the Gimp rpm file. You can find this out by doing: rpm -q --whatprovides (name of file) This of course will only work if the file is installed on your system, otherwise you can view the files in the rpm with programs like Midnight Commander or Kpackage.

Regards, Patrick

squareyes
2004-06-11 17:11:39 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

install probs

Hi all,
I had Gimp 2 up and running (from gimp-2.0.0-richard.1mdk.i586.rpm) on Mandrake 10, which was installed as an update from Man 9.1. Installed Gimp 2.0 with no probs, but have since had to reformat. Installed Mandrake 10 as a fresh install, now am having probs getting Gimp 2 to install from same rpm. Keep getting

"Installation failed, some files are missing: /mnt/cdrom/gimp-2.0.0-richard.1mdk.i586.rpm You may want to update your urpmi database"

Installed urpmi.setup to try and update, have no idea what I am doing, as it seems to want to update the 4 Mandrake install disks, which is not possible.
Have tried copying rpm to hard drive and installing from there, same.

"Some package requested cannot be installed: gimp2_0-2.0.1-1mdk.i586 (due to unsatisfied libgimpwidgets-2.0.so.0) do you agree ?"

As I am unsatisfied most of the time I had to agree :-) What is a libgimpwidget?, which ones do I need?, where would I get them?, and if I can get them, what do I do with them? (without being rude :-) ) Sorry I am a rank beginner here.

Winton

John Culleton
2004-11-22 13:45:52 UTC (over 19 years ago)

install probs

On Friday 11 June 2004 11:11, squareyes wrote:

Hi all,

Winton

Have you considered just uninstalling Gimp, downloading Gimp from the web site and installing it yourself? This means stepping out of the world of RPMs but that is not a fatal thing. You can unzip and untar the downloaded file with one command tar zxvf (name of file.) Then follow the instructions that come with.

Frequently it is easier to sidestep a complex problem as opposed to debugging it in the entrails of the system.

Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris
2004-11-22 15:44:04 UTC (over 19 years ago)

install probs

You could also grab a new rpm from a mandrake contrib repository - there probably could be something more up to date for mandrake 10.0

But that won't give you GIMP2.2 anyway, neither will upgrading toMandrake 10.1.
But building the GIMP from CVS on a mandrake 10.0 is not an authomatic task, but not too hard. Just try the ./configure scripts, note down what it says is missing, and install from most recent stable tarball, each required software (or from rpm, if there is a compatible version of said package) - the nice side of this is taht once you have everything in place, you can always easily build the latest GIMP.

JS ->

On Monday 22 November 2004 10:45, John Culleton wrote:

On Friday 11 June 2004 11:11, squareyes wrote:

Hi all,
I had Gimp 2 up and running (from
gimp-2.0.0-richard.1mdk.i586.rpm) on Mandrake 10, which was installed as an update from Man 9.1. Installed Gimp 2.0 with no probs, but have since had to reformat. Installed Mandrake 10 as a fresh install, now am having probs getting Gimp 2 to install from same rpm. Keep getting

Winton

Have you considered just uninstalling Gimp, downloading Gimp from the web site and installing it yourself? This means stepping out of the world of RPMs but that is not a fatal thing. You can unzip and untar the downloaded file with one command tar zxvf (name of file.) Then follow the instructions that come with.

Frequently it is easier to sidestep a complex problem as opposed to debugging it in the entrails of the system.