RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Tips for digitising/tracing image with GIMP?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Tips for digitising/tracing image with GIMP? avamk 25 Jun 21:53
  Tips for digitising/tracing image with GIMP? Liam R E Quin 26 Jun 00:07
   Tips for digitising/tracing image with GIMP? Chris Mohler 26 Jun 00:35
    Tips for digitising/tracing image with GIMP? avamk 28 Jun 22:17
avamk
2012-06-25 21:53:28 UTC (almost 12 years ago)

Hello,

I am considering using GIMP 2.8 on my system with Mac OS X 10.6.8 to do the following:

(1) Digitise a photograph by tracing over parts of it with lines. The photo could be, say, the roots of a tree. The lines would be colour coded depending on the state of what they are over. I.e. roots in one state gets traced with one colour, while roots in another state would get a different colour. In the end I might end up with a bunch of lines, with the different colours of lines organised in different layers.

(2) Calculate the relative proportion of lines of a certain colour to the total length of all lines.

To do the above, I am wondering if GIMP has the ability to calculate the length of lines drawn over an image (in, say, number of pixels). This way, I can obtain the total pixel length all lines put together, and the total pixel length of, say, just the blue lines.

Do you think GIMP is suitable for this kind of image analyses? Or should I use a vector based program like Inkscape?

Thanks!

-- View this message in context: http://gimp.1065349.n5.nabble.com/Tips-for-digitising-tracing-image-with-GIMP-tp33261.html Sent from the Gimp User mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

Liam R E Quin
2012-06-26 00:07:34 UTC (almost 12 years ago)

On Mon, 2012-06-25 at 14:53 -0700, avamk wrote:

Do you think GIMP is suitable for this kind of image analyses? Or should I use a vector based program like Inkscape?

In GIMP you will need a data structure to track the traced lines, rather than having a plugin just draw them on the canvas. You'll probably find it a lot easier with Inkscape, or with potrace on the command-line (especially under Linux) because the SVG output has XML elements you can traverse. But you might alo be able to do the tracing to paths in gimp and then iterate over the paths using the gimp-get-vector-points and friends (see help->procedure browser in gimp and search for vector)

Liam

Chris Mohler
2012-06-26 00:35:03 UTC (almost 12 years ago)

On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 7:07 PM, Liam R E Quin wrote:

[...]But you might alo be able to do the tracing to paths in gimp and then iterate over the paths using the gimp-get-vector-points and friends (see help->procedure browser in gimp and search for vector)

A simple starting point:
http://registry.gimp.org/node/17235

I'd go with a vector editor rather than use paths in GIMP though. Path tool in GIMP is nice, path tool in Inkscape is nicer ;)

Chris

avamk
2012-06-28 22:17:20 UTC (over 11 years ago)

Sounds like using a vector based graphics application would be better. I will bring this question to the Inkscape folks. Thank you for your replies!

-- View this message in context: http://gimp.1065349.n5.nabble.com/Tips-for-digitising-tracing-image-with-GIMP-tp33261p34174.html Sent from the Users mailing list archive at Nabble.com.