RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Bug with fonts when antialiasing on

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

6 of 6 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Bug with fonts when antialiasing on gimp-bug 12 May 19:41
  Bug with fonts when antialiasing on Liam R E Quin 13 May 08:30
   Bug with fonts when antialiasing on gimp-bug 13 May 15:05
    Bug with fonts when antialiasing on Liam R E Quin 13 May 15:20
     Bug with fonts when antialiasing on gimp-bug 13 May 16:07
      Bug with fonts when antialiasing on tysontan 04 Sep 04:59
2012-05-12 19:41:55 UTC (almost 12 years ago)
postings

All text in gimp 2.8 has greenish border when antialiasing is on, no matter which color is on the background. http://i.imgur.com/Ntky2.png - upper part with antialiasing, lower without

This problem happens with gimp 2.8 on gentoo/kde 4.8

Anyone have such problems? What can I do to fix this?

thanks in advance!

Liam R E Quin
2012-05-13 08:30:39 UTC (almost 12 years ago)

On Sat, 2012-05-12 at 21:41 +0200, gimp-bug wrote:

All text in gimp 2.8 has greenish border when antialiasing is on, no matter which color is on the background. http://i.imgur.com/Ntky2.png - upper part with antialiasing, lower without

Check your font antialiasing preferences maybe? In gnome 2 this is in system->prefs->appearance->fonts under advanced, I don't know about kde.

There should be settings for your LCD screen sub-pixel hinting, and you might want to try turning that off and see if it helps.

Liam

2012-05-13 15:05:17 UTC (almost 12 years ago)
postings

On Sat, 2012-05-12 at 21:41 +0200, gimp-bug wrote:

Check your font antialiasing preferences maybe? In gnome 2 this is in system->prefs->appearance->fonts under advanced, I don't know about kde.

There should be settings for your LCD screen sub-pixel hinting, and you might want to try turning that off and see if it helps.

Liam

Thank you for the answer!
Yesterday on IRC I was suggested the same - to check antialiasing settings. There's nothing wrong in my fontconfig, it's pretty standard. In KDE there are three options for antialiasing: Enabled, System settings, Disabled. I tried every one, and this didn't help. Anything other but "Enabled" makes my fonts horrible in all other apps though.

I use lcd-filtering gentoo overlay, so this might be a reason why changing settings doesn't work.

I tried Photoshop CS5 under Wine and, as expected, it didn't have such problem.

So now the question is - is this really intended feature that OS settings could interfere with how raster graphical editor renders its' text objects? Don't you see anything wrong with it? Atm Gimp is unusable for me. Don't consider this as a flamebait. I just really a bit amused by such "feature" and not sure if I should report it to bugtracker as a bug.

Liam R E Quin
2012-05-13 15:20:34 UTC (almost 12 years ago)

On Sun, 2012-05-13 at 17:05 +0200, gimp-bug wrote:

Liam

Thank you for the answer!
Yesterday on IRC I was suggested the same - to check antialiasing settings. There's nothing wrong in my fontconfig, it's pretty standard. In KDE there are three options for antialiasing: Enabled, System settings, Disabled.

There should also be options for the type of screen you have - RGB, VRGB, etc.

I tried every one, and this didn't help. Anything other but "Enabled" makes my fonts horrible in all other apps though.

The first thing is to discover what's causing your problem, before trying to work out a solution.

I use lcd-filtering gentoo overlay, so this might be a reason why changing settings doesn't work.

I don't know what that is, sorry.

So now the question is - is this really intended feature that OS settings could interfere with how raster graphical editor renders its' text objects?

It depends on your objective as to whether it makes sense. Note also that gimp's text tool options has a separate antialiasing setting.

Obviously a green halo is not intended.

Liam

2012-05-13 16:07:23 UTC (almost 12 years ago)
postings

On Sun, 2012-05-13 at 17:05 +0200, gimp-bug wrote:

There should also be options for the type of screen you have - RGB, VRGB, etc.

I tried every one, and this didn't help. Anything other but "Enabled" makes my fonts horrible in all other apps though.

The first thing is to discover what's causing your problem, before trying to work out a solution.

I don't know what that is, sorry.

Liam

Just've found subpixel options. There's no green border when subpixel rendering turned off, and there is a green border when subpixel rendering turned on, no matter which mode - RGB, vRGB, BGR - is selected. Fonts look bad without subpixel rendering though, so turning this off is not a solution for me, unfortunatelly.

2012-09-04 04:59:19 UTC (over 11 years ago)
postings

In my case, this problem has something to do with KDE's system setting. I'm running Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS with KDE as my secondary desktop environment and has been plagued by this annoyance for months. I did some researches and find that after I changed settings in KDE's font anti-alias setting, GIMP started to render greenish defect on the sub-pixels around the text.

Here is my solution:

KDE System Settings -> Application Appearance -> Fonts -> Use anti-aliasing -> Enabled -> Configure -> Uncheck everything

I guess GIMP 2.8 is using a new way dealing with its text anti-aliasing mechanism, which could be the same one as KDE. So if you've changed text anti-aliasing settings in KDE, it may also affect GIMP, producing in an undesirable result.

Hope my information is helpful.