RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Hi-Res Screens

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

1 of 1 message available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Hi-Res Screens Sigmascape1@cs.com 06 May 18:10
Sigmascape1@cs.com
2004-05-06 18:10:46 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Hi-Res Screens

Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 10:07:14 -0300 From: "Joao S. O. Bueno"
To: gimp-user@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu Content-Type: text/plain;
 charset="iso-8859-1"
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Precedence: list

Hi...
I think it  a conceptual error wanting 300DPI screenshots - Maybe not -=20 but wait  second - the GIMP interface is designed to  be displayed at typic= al=20
monitor resolutions -  from 72 to 96 dpi.

On the other hand, a monitor will have 15'' to 17'' inhes, and your print o= ut=20
of a screenshot should be a few inches accross - so the 1000 pixels wide, 1= 5=20
inch at  96 dpi screenshot would make for a 5 inch wide ate 300dpi screensh= ot=20
=2D no matter.

If you do intend to actually make printouts of 15'', 17'' in paper,=20 nonetheless, a "real world" screen shot will do - the interface text may=20 appear aliased or blurred in a good quality printing - but hey---that's how= =20
it looks like on the screen. :-) And on top of that,  you may still try to= =20
increase the quality of a screenshot scaled up to 3000 pixels using the Gim= p=20
itself, if there is the need.

One last thing - if you actually can find a 3000 pixel screenshot, the=20 interface - at least the icons - will appear proportionally small - you won= 't=20
be able to achieve better icons than from a 1024x768 screenshot.

Anyway, you may be planning something different, that I had not grasped at= =20
all.  But if you are after "300dpi screenshots" just because the clerk at=20 your printshop told you so, the way to go is to scale up a plain screenshot.

regards,

JS    ->

Yeah, I am trying to get the BEST possible quality. Standard shots at 72PPI are fine for most of what I need, but I assumed I could find some solid 300PPI (magazine-quality) material. Initially, I need some content for some PDF-based brochures, but later I am going to need higher res stuff for other types of propaganda.

I am working on a 5.5"x8.5" GIMP postcard now. When I finish it, please let me know if you want a PDF of it, and I'll put you on my list to send to.

Thanks!

Mitch Featherston