RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Mac OSX 10.6.8 - GIMP 2.6.11

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

9 of 9 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Mac OSX 10.6.8 - GIMP 2.6.11 John Thurgood 07 Nov 10:03
  Mac OSX 10.6.8 - GIMP 2.6.11 Alexandre Prokoudine 08 Nov 08:35
  Mac OSX 10.6.8 - GIMP 2.6.11 Ken Springer 08 Nov 15:09
  Mac OSX 10.6.8 - GIMP 2.6.11 Ken Springer 09 Nov 22:54
   Mac OSX 10.6.8 - GIMP 2.6.11 David 09 Nov 23:56
   Mac OSX 10.6.8 - GIMP 2.6.11 jfrazierjr@nc.rr.com 10 Nov 16:51
Mac OSX 10.6.8 - GIMP 2.6.11 Ken Springer 10 Nov 18:21
  Mac OSX 10.6.8 - GIMP 2.6.11 Chris Mohler 10 Nov 19:26
Mac OSX 10.6.8 - GIMP 2.6.11 Ken Springer 18 Nov 23:43
John Thurgood
2011-11-07 10:03:17 UTC (over 12 years ago)

I have downloaded the photographic processing GIMP but cannot get it to operate in my Mac computer. Can anybody help please?

John

Alexandre Prokoudine
2011-11-08 08:35:20 UTC (over 12 years ago)

On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 2:03 PM, John Thurgood wrote:

I have downloaded the photographic processing GIMP but cannot get it to operate in my Mac computer. Can anybody help please?

John,

Help isn't possible without knowing what exactly fails to work. Could you be more specific please?

Alexandre Prokoudine http://libregraphicsworld.org

Ken Springer
2011-11-08 15:09:21 UTC (over 12 years ago)

On 11/7/11 3:03 AM, John Thurgood wrote:

John _______________________________________________ gimp-user-list mailing list
gimp-user-list@gnome.org
http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list

You and me both, John.

In my case, all I get is the word GIMP in the menu bar.

Ken Springer
2011-11-09 22:54:24 UTC (over 12 years ago)

I have downloaded the photographic processing GIMP but cannot get it to

> operate in my Mac computer. Can anybody help please?

To paraphrase The Rolling Stones, "We can't get no, satisfaction."

At my next Mac User Group meeting, we'll be having a presentation on Mac graphics software. I'll be noting the lack of interest from the Gimp community in providing assistance.

A year or so ago, I couldn't get 2.6 to work under Win 7 Home Premium, either.

FWIW, I've located another open source editing program, Seashore. Appears to be less powerful than Gimp, but it will do what I need.

David
2011-11-09 23:56:36 UTC (over 12 years ago)

From what I recall (haven't installed GIMP on Mac for some time) you need to install X11 window manager first. X11 used to be included on an "extras" cd with the official Mac systems discs, or you can download it from Apple. Google is your friend.

Once installed, GIMP works fine on Macs.

Forgive me if I have it wrong - it's been some time since I did it. It's pretty straightforward and everything comes from official sources so you don't have to worry about malware.

On 10/11/11 09:54, Ken Springer wrote:

At my next Mac User Group meeting, we'll be having a presentation on Mac graphics software. I'll be noting the lack of interest from the Gimp community in providing assistance.

FWIW, I've located another open source editing program, Seashore. Appears to be less powerful than Gimp, but it will do what I need.

jfrazierjr@nc.rr.com
2011-11-10 16:51:58 UTC (over 12 years ago)

---- Ken Springer wrote:

Sorry for your "perceived" lack of response, but I don't have a Mac, so really can't help much. Likewise, I have no proof, but would expect that most of the users on this list are *nix or Windows users.

Also note, that while you give a "bit"(and by that, I mean a tiny bit) more information, the OP said "I have downloaded the photographic processing GIMP but cannot get it to operate in my Mac computer. Can anybody help please?" to which a response was made less than a day later saying to the effect of "hey, you did not give us anywhere NEAR enough information to help you" and yet the OP has made no response.

Also note that since GIMP does not create binaries for any OS, we have no idea HOW you or the OP installed GIMP. If you installed via a binary distribution, the creator is probably the person to whom your requests for assistance should originate first. The OP does not even say that much... we have no idea if he downloaded a binary install package from somewhere OR if he downloaded the source code and just does not know any better that he needs to compile... again, we just don't know because his request for help was FAR to vague. Typically, such issues (as noted by another reply) are due to missing dependencies that YOU will need to fulfill, and sometimes, a person who builds an install rarely does so on a "fresh" build and thus they may have some such dependencies already pre-installed(such as the a fore mentioned X11 that Mac no longer installs by default.. or at least that is my understanding...which could very well be wrong!!!!) or they installed for some other reason and did not know that it was a dependency(or even a->b->c->d->e for that matter!). I know every time I rebuilt my machine, I have to spend probably 1-2 hours installing all of the dependencies "before" I can compile the actual GIMP package.

What I do know is that I have seen a site dedicated to GIMP on Mac(they have the binary install package), and I would highly expect your "install/error" issues to get far more traction there than this list which is much more general and targeted toward GIMP functionality.

Ken Springer
2011-11-10 18:21:33 UTC (over 12 years ago)

Hi, jfrazierjr,

On 11/10/11 9:51 AM, jfrazierjr@nc.rr.com wrote:

---- Ken Springer wrote:

Sorry for your "perceived" lack of response, but I don't have a Mac, so really can't help much. Likewise, I have no proof, but would expect that most of the users on this list are *nix or Windows users.

Regarding the number of *nix and Windows users, that wouldn't surprise me at all. But one would think there would be more than there apparently are. :-(

Also note, that while you give a "bit"(and by that, I mean a tiny bit) more information, the OP said "I have downloaded the photographic processing GIMP but cannot get it to operate in my Mac computer. Can anybody help please?" to which a response was made less than a day later saying to the effect of "hey, you did not give us anywhere NEAR enough information to help you" and yet the OP has made no response.

As I told another user who wrote me a private email, there's nothing more to give, sadly. If there was, I'd have posted everything I see to help solve the problem. 'Tis not my first day in the barrel with software not running. Slightly OT, but a month ago I managed to stump MS's tech support with a problem.

Also note that since GIMP does not create binaries for any OS, we have no idea HOW you or the OP installed GIMP.If you installed via a binary distribution, the creator is probably the person to whom your requests for assistance should originate first. The OP does not even say that much... we have no idea if he downloaded a binary install package from somewhere OR if he downloaded the source code and just does not know any better that he needs to compile... again, we just don't know because his request for help was FAR to vague.

I did not compile any binary, that's above my head, and an area of computing that used to interest me, but I'm burned out on that aspect of computing. I simply wish to install and use the software.

Typically, such
issues (as noted by another reply) are due to missing dependencies that YOU will need to fulfill, and sometimes, a person who builds an install rarely does so on a "fresh" build and thus they may have some such dependencies already pre-installed(such as the a fore mentioned X11 that Mac no longer installs by default.. or at least that is my understanding...which could very well be wrong!!!!) or they installed for some other reason and did not know that it was a dependency(or even a->b->c->d->e for that matter!).

X11 seems to be an interesting situation. I find posts stating it is automatically installed, others say it isn't, others say it depends on which version of OS X. I even found one that said X11 development at Apple has been stopped.

As with most things you find today on the web, there seems to be no way to accurately determine the veracity of any of the statements. And, it doesn't seem to be worth the effort to search the maker's forums, as usually the support there is just from other users. No official representation from Apple, MS, and others. :-( It's no wonder that people get confused. :-(

> As with just aboutI know every time I rebuilt my machine,

I have to spend probably 1-2 hours installing all of the dependencies "before" I can compile the actual GIMP package.

Avoiding having to do things like this is why I moved to Apple from Windows. The Mac world isn't perfect in this area, but much better IMO.

What I do know is that I have seen a site dedicated to GIMP on Mac (they have the binary install package), and I would highly expect your "install/error" issues to get far more traction there than this list which is much more general and targeted toward GIMP functionality.

The Gimp home page gives you a link to that site, and that is what I was reading. But there's no apparent update to the home page in the last year, so I plead guilty to not checking that site out further. Perhaps Gimp could be clearer on the Gimp home page or elsewhere that there is no official connection between the two projects. I am assuming there is no official connection.

But, I've found Seashore. It installed and ran without any problems, and I believe it will do the simple image editing things I want/wish to do, so I'm going to stick with it for now.

In the private email I received, apparently I gave that writer the impression I was angry. That isn't the right adjective. :-) The correct adjectives would be frustration and disappointment. Adjectives that apply to other open source products I've tried to use as well.

All of that being said, thanks for the reply. :-)

Chris Mohler
2011-11-10 19:26:10 UTC (over 12 years ago)

On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 12:21 PM, Ken Springer wrote:

X11 seems to be an interesting situation.  I find posts stating it is automatically installed, others say it isn't, others say it depends on which version of OS X.  I even found one that said X11 development at Apple has been stopped.

It's been a long while since I used GIMP on a mac - but I remember having to install X11 first.

If it's installed, it should be in Applications->Utilities. Or at least that's where it ended up in 10.2, which is about when I jumped the OSX ship. In any case, you should be able to run 'startx' in a terminal (also in Applications->Utilities) and get some response other than 'command not found' if X11 is installed.

If it's not installed, it used to be available as a download from Apple's site and also included on the XCode CD - I'm unsure if this is still the case. There are other options - eg macports can install GIMP for you and it will *probably* pull in any dependencies like X11 automatically.

http://www.macports.org/index.php

Luck, Chris

Ken Springer
2011-11-18 23:43:34 UTC (over 12 years ago)

On 11/8/11 8:32 AM, Bart Hellemans wrote: > Same here, OS X 10.5.8....
>
> Bart
>
>
> On 8-nov-11, at 16:09, Ken Springer wrote: >
>>
>>
>> On 11/7/11 3:03 AM, John Thurgood wrote: >>> I have downloaded the photographic processing GIMP but cannot >>> get it to operate in my Mac computer. Can anybody help please? >>>
>>> John
>>> _______________________________________________ >>> gimp-user-list mailing list
>>> gimp-user-list@gnome.org
>>> http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list >> You and me both, John.
>>
>> In my case, all I get is the word GIMP in the menu bar.

I haven't solved the problem, but I know what the problem isn't. It isn't X11 and Gimp.

I wanted to ensure X11 and an old install of XQuartz was completely removed, and then reinstall X11. But I was unable to find anyone that could give me a definitive answer. So, I came up with a different way to troubleshoot the issue.

I created a new partition on my hard drive, and then installed a new copy of Snow Leopard. Then installed the Gimp .dmg package. And Gimp would run.

I then reinstalled Snow Leopard on my normal boot partition, and then Gimp. Gimp will not run.

I went back to the new partition to double check that Gimp would run, but something had changed the Finder's preferences. The internal drive/partitions were no longer displayed on the desktop.

I also tried another X11 app, Inkscape, with the same results. It runs on the new Snow Leopard install, but not the normal one.

So, there is still some kind of conflict on my normal boot partition, and I'm pondering how attack that problem.