RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Changing Colors whilst retaining texture and shading

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Changing Colors whilst retaining texture and shading Trevor Nightingale 22 Apr 19:48
  Changing Colors whilst retaining texture and shading Joao S. O. Bueno 22 Apr 19:58
  Changing Colors whilst retaining texture and shading David Neary 22 Apr 21:46
Trevor Nightingale
2004-04-22 19:48:48 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Problem:

I have a JPG image of a person and I want to change the color of their sweatshirt that they are wearing from red to a light blue.

I use the Magic Wand to select the red sweat shirt area and copy and paste that selection into a new layer. Just filling the selection with a color results in a very poor final image in that it is obvious the color has been changed. The texture and shadows on the sweat shirt have been lost.

Question:

How do I change the color of the sweat shirt from red to blue while maintaining texture and shading ?

Thank you in advance.

Joao S. O. Bueno
2004-04-22 19:58:23 UTC (about 20 years ago)

On Thursday 22 April 2004 14:48, Trevor Nightingale wrote:

Problem:

I have a JPG image of a person and I want to change the color of their sweatshirt that they are wearing from red to a light blue.

I use the Magic Wand to select the red sweat shirt area and copy and paste that selection into a new layer. Just filling the selection with a color results in a very poor final image in that it is obvious the color has been changed. The texture and shadows on the sweat shirt have been lost.

Question:

How do I change the color of the sweat shirt from red to blue while maintaining texture and shading ?

First method:

After you make the selection, open the Layers Dialog, and click on "new layer" Change the "layer mode" from "normal" to "color" or "multiply", and fill your selection with the desired color.

Second Method: Make your seleciton, and go to the menu "layers->colors->Hue& Saturation" ...make your changes.

In both cases, you probably will want to go to "view->selection boundary" and turn it off, before trying the changes.

Thank you in advance.

David Neary
2004-04-22 21:46:08 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Hi Trevor,

Trevor Nightingale wrote:

Question:

Colormap rotation might be what you're looking for - it takes a part of the hue circle and maps it onto another part of the hue circle. In your case, you would take all the reddish and purply/orangy colours, and map that to an appropriate bluish part. This is in Filters->Colors->Map->Colormap rotation

Alternatively, if you're sure that you want to change everything in the selection, you can use the hue & saturation tool (Layer->Colors->Hue & Saturation). The advantage of the colormap rotation is taht if your selection is not perfect, it leaves stuff outside the source section untouched. If you're lucky you can use it without even making a selection at all.

Cheers, Dave.