RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

How to create a double button image

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

How to create a double button image jamessk 13 Apr 14:48
  How to create a double button image Kevin Cozens 13 Apr 15:42
   How to create a double button image jamessk 13 Apr 23:32
2011-04-13 14:48:10 UTC (about 13 years ago)
postings

Hi fellow Gimp Users/Experts,

I am trying create a double button image like this www.jkwptest.net/b-login.gif

Do you know how I create this in Gimp? It is possible?

I've tried doing it but the canvas is in the background, i want both buttons floating (with the grey and black squares showing behind)

If you need anymore information, do not hesitate to ask

I really appreciate anyone's time taken to respond to this

Thanks! James

Kevin Cozens
2011-04-13 15:42:48 UTC (about 13 years ago)

jamessk wrote:

Is it possible? Yes. There is nothing special about that image. It is just two individual button images placed side by side on a common background.

I would start with creating a file to be used as a template for a button (where you can change the label), and use that to create an image for each button separately. The final step is to create a new image using the two other buttons previously created.

The template file will have several layers. Start with a transparent layer and fill it with the shape of the button you want and fill it with a gradient. You can use another layer for the outline and highlight around the button or put that on the first layer. Add a text layer on top that will be for the button label. Save this template (ie. as button-template.xcf).

Set the text for the button as needed then Save As (or export) as a file for the first button image. Alter the text layer and enter the text needed for the second button. Save this new image.

Now you can create a new file that is a bit more than twice the width of each individual button and create new layers using the previously saved pair of button images. Change background as desired. Save as .xcf (just in case), then Save As (or Export) your final image.

2011-04-13 23:32:16 UTC (about 13 years ago)
postings

jamessk wrote:

Is it possible? Yes. There is nothing special about that image. It is just two individual button images placed side by side on a common background.

I would start with creating a file to be used as a template for a button (where you can change the label), and use that to create an image for each button separately. The final step is to create a new image using the two other buttons previously created.

The template file will have several layers. Start with a transparent layer and fill it with the shape of the button you want and fill it with a gradient. You can use another layer for the outline and highlight around the button or put that on the first layer. Add a text layer on top that will be for the button label. Save this template (ie. as button-template.xcf).

Set the text for the button as needed then Save As (or export) as a file for the first button image. Alter the text layer and enter the text needed for the second button. Save this new image.

Now you can create a new file that is a bit more than twice the width of each individual button and create new layers using the previously saved pair of button images. Change background as desired. Save as .xcf (just in case), then Save As (or Export) your final image.

Thanks for your help!