RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Help needed stroking an eliptical selection

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Help needed stroking an eliptical selection Tom Williams 03 Apr 20:42
  Help needed stroking an eliptical selection Sven Neumann 03 Apr 21:11
   Help needed stroking an eliptical selection Simon Budig 03 Apr 21:40
    Help needed stroking an eliptical selection Tom Williams 03 Apr 22:40
Tom Williams
2004-04-03 20:42:17 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Hi! I'm trying to make an elliptical border around part of an image, sort of like a picture frame. I use the "Select Elliptical Regions" tool to select my region. Then I choose the color I want for the selection and I choose a 5x5 solid circle brush to use for the stroke of the selection. Then I right-click on the image and click "Edit... Stroke Selection" and my "frame" appears around the image. Cool.

I noticed there are some jagged edges along parts of the "frame" and I would like to know if there's a way they can be eliminated.

Here is a screenshot illustrating what I've got thus far:

http://www.pixhost.com/pixt/tomdkat/stroke.jpg

The top and bottom of the frame look great but the sides have the jagged edges. Is there any way I can eliminate the jagged edges?

Once I have the frame, my plan is to add a bevel to it to give it more of a "real" frame look. :) Here is a sample of the above image with a 5-thickness setting Script-Fu bevel:

http://www.pixhost.com/pixt/tomdkat/stroke-bevel.jpg*

*I've found the higher the bevel thickness, the more pronounced the jagged edges are. :(

I'm using Gimp 2.0 on Linux.

Thanks in advance!

Peace...

Tom

Sven Neumann
2004-04-03 21:11:47 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Hi,

Tom Williams writes:

Hi! I'm trying to make an elliptical border around part of an image, sort of like a picture frame. I use the "Select Elliptical Regions" tool to select my region. Then I choose the color I want for the selection and I choose a 5x5 solid circle brush to use for the stroke of the selection. Then I right-click on the image and click "Edit... Stroke Selection" and my "frame" appears around the image. Cool.

I noticed there are some jagged edges along parts of the "frame" and I would like to know if there's a way they can be eliminated.

Don't use the paintbrush to stroke the selection, but use the Stroke options in the upper part of the Stroke dialog.

Sven

Simon Budig
2004-04-03 21:40:06 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Sven Neumann (sven@gimp.org) wrote:

Tom Williams writes:

Don't use the paintbrush to stroke the selection, but use the Stroke options in the upper part of the Stroke dialog.

Well, unfortunately this doesn't help much. The better way to fix this is to convert the selection boundary to a path and stroke the path.

I tried hacking the boundary stroking to get a better stroking, but my experiments turned out to lead to unexpected results. A discussion of this is in bug #50730.

Bye,
Simon

Tom Williams
2004-04-03 22:40:36 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Simon Budig wrote:

Sven Neumann (sven@gimp.org) wrote:

Tom Williams writes:

Well, unfortunately this doesn't help much. The better way to fix this is to convert the selection boundary to a path and stroke the path.

I tried hacking the boundary stroking to get a better stroking, but my experiments turned out to lead to unexpected results. A discussion of this is in bug #50730.

Bye,
Simon

Thanks for the tip! Converting the selection to a path seems be working much better for me! :)

Peace...

Tom