RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Fwd : Re : [Gimp-u ser [jean-luc.coulon@wanadoo.fr]

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 6 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Histogram in gimp-2.0-pre Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh) 19 Mar 20:58
  Histogram in gimp-2.0-pre Sven Neumann 19 Mar 21:36
  Histogram in gimp-2.0-pre David Neary 19 Mar 21:40
   Re  : Histogram in gimp-2.0-pre Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh) 20 Mar 17:06
20040320160421.GG1445@tange... 07 Oct 20:16
  Fwd : Re : [Gimp-u ser [jean-luc.coulon@wanadoo.fr] Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh) 20 Mar 18:15
Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh)
2004-03-19 20:58:41 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Histogram in gimp-2.0-pre

Hi,

When I display the histogram with gimp-2.0-pre, I got about nothing for many pictures when in linear mode.

With Gimp 1.2, the histogram was (is) displayed normally (at least I can see something) with the same pictures.

Do I miss something in the histogram behaviour or is there something special with linear/log modes ?

-- Regards
- jean-Luc

Sven Neumann
2004-03-19 21:36:20 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Hi,

"Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh)" writes:

When I display the histogram with gimp-2.0-pre, I got about nothing for many pictures when in linear mode.

For these pictures, you will want to use logarithmic mode. Linear works very well for photographic images but can be pretty much useless for other images. But then, the histogram tool is mainly used with photographic images, so it makes sense to have linear scale as the default.

Sven

David Neary
2004-03-19 21:40:17 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Hi,

Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh) wrote:

In linear mode you'll normally have a couple of peaks drowning out everything else.

Do I miss something in the histogram behaviour or is there something special with linear/log modes ?

Linear mode is the default (several people requested this). You can change this in the tool options, though.

Cheers, Dave.

Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh)
2004-03-20 17:06:40 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Re  : Histogram in gimp-2.0-pre

Le 19.03.2004 21:40, David Neary a écrit :

Hi,

Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh) wrote:

When I display the histogram with gimp-2.0-pre, I got about nothing

for

many pictures when in linear mode.

In linear mode you'll normally have a couple of peaks drowning out everything else.

I have not notices anythign particular. Maybe they are some spikes at the same position as the vertical axis.

Do I miss something in the histogram behaviour or is there something

special with linear/log modes ?

Linear mode is the default (several people requested this). You can change this in the tool options, though.

Ok, I will use log scale, it is not a problem.

Cheers,
Dave.

Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh)
2004-03-20 18:15:28 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Fwd : Re : [Gimp-u ser [jean-luc.coulon@wanadoo.fr]

Le 20.03.2004 17:04, Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh) a écrit : Le 19.03.2004 21:36, Sven Neumann a écrit :

Hi,

"Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh)" writes:

For these pictures, you will want to use logarithmic mode. Linear works very well for photographic images but can be pretty much useless
for other images. But then, the histogram tool is mainly used with photographic images, so it makes sense to have linear scale as the default.

These are pictures from a digital SLR camera. I'm using the histogram together with the levels and curves colour-tools.

Ok, I will use the log scale. I have just notice it looks far different from the one in 1.2.

--
- Jean-Luc

Sven