RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

release date(s) & gimp PR problems

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

9 of 9 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

release date(s) & gimp PR problems Void lon iXaarii 07 Mar 23:08
  release date(s) & gimp PR problems Michael Schumacher 07 Mar 23:19
  release date(s) & gimp PR problems Simon Budig 07 Mar 23:19
  release date(s) & gimp PR problems Sven Neumann 07 Mar 23:42
  release date(s) & gimp PR problems Dave Neary 08 Mar 09:48
   release date(s) & gimp PR problems Sven Neumann 08 Mar 13:16
    release date(s) & gimp PR problems Thomas Spuhler 08 Mar 16:04
     release date(s) & gimp PR problems Sven Neumann 08 Mar 18:15
    release date(s) & gimp PR problems Harish Narayanan 08 Mar 16:21
Void lon iXaarii
2004-03-07 23:08:19 UTC (about 20 years ago)

I thought gimp 2 was due to end of february. when is it expected? Is there any way of subscribing to a list or something with announcements of each version ... for windows... ?

PS: gimp seems to me like dead software for the simple reason that the gimp.org seems to be very un-updated: 1) *WWW.GIMP.ORG will soon get a facelift! announcement there for ages and yet everything still unchanged by time (not even new screenshots for 2.0)
2) I'm back to being a windows user. (unfortunatelly?) a large percentage of artists still are. Still getting a good gimp is like scratching your left ear with your right side. I go to gimp.org, download, ... there there's this tiny note with a link to gimp for windows .. then "download"... which if I go to leads to a very confusing page with many many links ... and still none of them contained gimp pre 2 ... then over there again I hunt for a non-obvious link to "gimp installer" (http://www2.arnes.si/~sopjsimo/gimp/) ... and only then via de development version was I able to get a pre4. This sucks. I mean it's like .. umm ... it's like 7 clicks away from gimp.org. I mean ... well .. isn't gimp for artists ? .. or is it's target audience only linuxers and I used to be a linuxer for a while .. and still I didn't like compiling from sources ... I see here small problems which with small modifications on the part of the right people could do a IMO signifiant improovement to Gimp publicity.

Michael Schumacher
2004-03-07 23:19:42 UTC (about 20 years ago)

On 8 Mar 2004 at 0:08, Void lon iXaarii wrote:

I thought gimp 2 was due to end of february. when is it expected? Is there any way of subscribing to a list or something with announcements of each version ... for windows... ?

GIMP 2.0 will be ready when it is ready.

gimp-user is a good list to be subrscibed to. If you want to know what going on with developemnt, you should subscribe to gimp-developer. For a more win32- specific list, try http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gimpwin-users/

2) I'm back to being a windows user. (unfortunatelly?) a large percentage of artists still are. Still getting a good gimp is like scratching your left ear with your right side. I go to gimp.org, download, ... there there's this tiny note with a link to gimp for windows .. then "download"... which if I go to leads to a very confusing page with many many links ... and still none of them contained gimp pre 2 ... then over there again I hunt for a non-obvious link to "gimp installer" (http://www2.arnes.si/~sopjsimo/gimp/) ... and only then via

Oh, come on. This page is linked to directly from www.gimp.org, and it's purpose is described in the second paragraph of http://www.gimp.org/~tml/gimp/win32/downloads.html

de development version was I able to get a pre4. This sucks. I mean it's like .. umm ... it's like 7 clicks away from gimp.org.

4 clicks if you read the text in the downloads page, 2 if you read www.gimp.org.

I mean ... well
.. isn't gimp for artists ? .. or is it's target audience only linuxers and I used to be a linuxer for a while .. and still I didn't like compiling from sources ... I see here small problems which with small modifications on the part of the right people could do a IMO signifiant improovement to Gimp publicity.

http://mmmaybe.gimp.org

HTH, Michael

Simon Budig
2004-03-07 23:19:48 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Oops, that should have gone to the Mailinglist as well...

Void lon iXaarii (anarky@rdslink.ro) wrote:

I thought gimp 2 was due to end of february. when is it expected? Is
there any way of subscribing to a list or something with announcements of each version ... for windows... ?

Subscribe to gimp-announce and you'll get the announcements of new gimp versions. Gimp 2 will be released when it is ready to be released.

Meanwhile please help us finding bugs in gimp 2.0pre4.

PS: gimp seems to me like dead software for the simple reason that the gimp.org seems to be very un-updated: 1) *WWW.GIMP.ORG will soon get a facelift! announcement there for ages and yet everything still unchanged by time (not even new screenshots for
2.0)

Feel free to join the gimp web development.

2) I'm back to being a windows user. (unfortunatelly?) a large percentage of artists still are. Still getting a good gimp is like scratching your left ear with your right side. I go to gimp.org, download, ... there there's this tiny note with a link to gimp for windows .. then "download"... which if I go to leads to a very confusing
page with many many links ... and still none of them contained gimp pre
2 ... then over there again I hunt for a non-obvious link to "gimp installer" (http://www2.arnes.si/~sopjsimo/gimp/) ... and only then via
de development version was I able to get a pre4. This sucks. I mean it's
like .. umm ... it's like 7 clicks away from gimp.org. I mean ... well .. isn't gimp for artists ? .. or is it's target audience only linuxers
and I used to be a linuxer for a while .. and still I didn't like compiling from sources ... I see here small problems which with small modifications on the part of the right people could do a IMO signifiant
improovement to Gimp publicity.

Again: feel free to enhance the win32 part of the gimp pages. Checkout the gimp-web-devel module from cvs and submit patches.

Bye, Simon

Sven Neumann
2004-03-07 23:42:19 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Hi,

Void lon iXaarii writes:

Sure, there's gimp-announce, see http://www.gimp.org/mailing_list.html for a list of GIMP mailing-lists.

PS: gimp seems to me like dead software for the simple reason that the gimp.org seems to be very un-updated: 1) *WWW.GIMP.ORG will soon get a facelift! announcement there for ages and yet everything still unchanged by time (not even new screenshots for 2.0)

There are screenshots of the development version at developer.gimp.org.

Your rants are not really helpful but I take it that you are trying to volunteer to work on the GIMP website. Please subscribe to the gimp-web mailing-list and check out the gimp-web CVS module.

Sven

Dave Neary
2004-03-08 09:48:10 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Hi,

Void lon iXaarii wrote:

PS: gimp seems to me like dead software for the simple reason that the gimp.org seems to be very un-updated:

I agree there are problems with the website. Something should happen soon, but unfortunately I have no idea what that will be. Currently, no-one is working on the website to my knowledge (either www or mmmaybe).

Dave.

Sven Neumann
2004-03-08 13:16:22 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Hi,

Dave Neary writes:

Void lon iXaarii wrote:

PS: gimp seems to me like dead software for the simple reason that the gimp.org seems to be very un-updated:

I agree there are problems with the website. Something should happen soon, but unfortunately I have no idea what that will be. Currently, no-one is working on the website to my knowledge (either www or mmmaybe).

That's not the full truth actually. Me and Raphael are sometimes giving www.gimp.org some smaller updates (mainly keeping the News uptodate and fixing broken links). I would also accept larger updates and put them online if someone really wants to put any work into the current site. Please let me know beforehand so I can explain how the site is generated.

Then, we started to have a developer web-site at http://developer.gimp.org/. So far that's mainly Brix and me who have been working on this. The website is in CVS (module gimp-web-devel) and everyone is encouraged to help out. The website uses DocBook/XML but that shouldn't shy you away. It's actually very straight-forward to add new content to it. If you want to get involved, have a look at the README that you will receive when you checkout the gimp-web-devel module.

Some people started to work on a rewritten gimp.org web-site quite a while ago. The result of this work is online at http://mmmaybe.gimp.org/ but for reasons that are too complex to explain here it did not replace www.gimp.org yet. The original creators of the new web-site left the project and now it sits there in the gimp-web CVS module, merely unmaintained and waiting for what comes next. There's an offer to have it replace www.gimp.org next weekend but this offer is bound to someone updating mmmaybe.gimp.org for the 2.0 release (which is supposed to happen at about that time). I don't understand why people are ignoring this offer but it looks as if noone is interested in the gimp.org web presence. This is a shame since the new site is in my opinion already a lot better than the current www.gimp.org. So perhaps someone on this list wants to help to get mmmaybe.gimp.org ready for the 2.0 release?

Sven

Thomas Spuhler
2004-03-08 16:04:04 UTC (about 20 years ago)

On Mon, 2004-03-08 at 05:16, Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

Dave Neary writes:

Void lon iXaarii wrote:

That's not the full truth actually. Me and Raphael are sometimes giving www.gimp.org some smaller updates (mainly keeping the News uptodate and fixing broken links). I would also accept larger updates and put them online if someone really wants to put any work into the current site. Please let me know beforehand so I can explain how the site is generated.

Then, we started to have a developer web-site at http://developer.gimp.org/. So far that's mainly Brix and me who have been working on this. The website is in CVS (module gimp-web-devel) and everyone is encouraged to help out. The website uses DocBook/XML but that shouldn't shy you away. It's actually very straight-forward to add new content to it. If you want to get involved, have a look at the README that you will receive when you checkout the gimp-web-devel module.

Some people started to work on a rewritten gimp.org web-site quite a while ago. The result of this work is online at http://mmmaybe.gimp.org/ but for reasons that are too complex to explain here it did not replace www.gimp.org yet. The original creators of the new web-site left the project and now it sits there in the gimp-web CVS module, merely unmaintained and waiting for what comes next. There's an offer to have it replace www.gimp.org next weekend but this offer is bound to someone updating mmmaybe.gimp.org for the 2.0 release (which is supposed to happen at about that time). I don't understand why people are ignoring this offer but it looks as if noone is interested in the gimp.org web presence. This is a shame since the new site is in my opinion already a lot better than the current www.gimp.org. So perhaps someone on this list wants to help to get mmmaybe.gimp.org ready for the 2.0 release?

Sven _______________________________________________ Gimp-user mailing list
Gimp-user@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu
http://lists.xcf.berkeley.edu/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user

I agree with you that the mmmaybe.gimp.org site looks much better than the original. But also this one looks outdated. It probably will be difficult to find anybody using DocBook/xml

Harish Narayanan
2004-03-08 16:21:34 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Sven Neumann wrote:

I don't understand why people are ignoring this offer but it looks as if noone is interested in the gimp.org web presence. This is a shame since the new site is in my opinion already a lot better than the current www.gimp.org. So perhaps someone on this list wants to help to get mmmaybe.gimp.org ready for the 2.0 release?

What kind of expertise/skill-set is needed to be helpful in this transition? I can give it time if I was directed on what to do, and I know how to do it. I just subscribed to gimp-web and will check out gimp-web from CVS shortly.

For what it's worth, I am "interested" in the gimp's web presence.

Harish

Sven Neumann
2004-03-08 18:15:46 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Hi,

Thomas Spuhler writes:

I agree with you that the mmmaybe.gimp.org site looks much better than the original. But also this one looks outdated. It probably will be difficult to find anybody using DocBook/xml

Don't confuse things, please. DocBook/XML is used for developer.gimp.org, not for mmmaybe.gimp.org. Also Docbook/XML is quite commonly used nowadays. We use it for the GIMP API reference manuals and the gimp-help-2 project writes help for GIMP-2.0 using DocBook/XML. For most things it's quite straightforward, it's a standard and it is well documented.

Sven