RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Beginner: Selected tool has no effect

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 5 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Beginner: Selected tool has no effect ChrisBrewster 10 Feb 23:36
  Beginner: Selected tool has no effect Noel Stoutenburg 10 Feb 23:43
  Beginner: Selected tool has no effect Owen 11 Feb 00:15
   Beginner: Selected tool has no effect Patrick Horgan 11 Feb 04:24
  Beginner: Selected tool has no effect Akkana Peck 11 Feb 18:35
2010-02-10 23:36:10 UTC (about 14 years ago)
postings

I've already done a couple of things with Gimp that made me think I was getting it, but now I need to use some brush tools such as Smudge. So I click the Smudge icon, put the cursor on the image, press the mouse key and drag, and it doesn't do anything. In other image editors I've used, at that point the smudge function would work. I'm having this problem with a couple of other Gimp tools. What am I missing? Thanks.

Noel Stoutenburg
2010-02-10 23:43:07 UTC (about 14 years ago)

ChrisBrewster wrote:

I've already done a couple of things with Gimp that made me think I was getting it, but now I need to use some brush tools such as Smudge. So I click the Smudge icon, put the cursor on the image, press the mouse key and drag, and it doesn't do anything. In other image editors I've used, at that point the smudge function would work. I'm having this problem with a couple of other Gimp tools. What am I missing? Thanks.

Can't answer the question about what you're missing, but the smudge tool works within a layer (even when the image is only a single layer. Make sure that there is content in the layer in which you are trying to smudge.

ns

Owen
2010-02-11 00:15:26 UTC (about 14 years ago)

I've already done a couple of things with Gimp that made me think I was
getting it, but now I need to use some brush tools such as Smudge. So I click
the Smudge icon, put the cursor on the image, press the mouse key and drag,
and it doesn't do anything. In other image editors I've used, at that point
the smudge function would work. I'm having this problem with a couple of
other Gimp tools. What am I missing? Thanks.

Guess you have read http://docs.gimp.org/2.6/en/gimp-tool-smudge.html

Do you have the layers dialog open and so confirm you are working on the image, and not another layer

Also make sure you are in rgb mode, Image->Image->Mode->RGB

Patrick Horgan
2010-02-11 04:24:55 UTC (about 14 years ago)

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">

Owen wrote:

I've already done a couple of things with Gimp that made me think I was
getting it, but now I need to use some brush tools such as Smudge. So I click
the Smudge icon, put the cursor on the image, press the mouse key and drag,
and it doesn't do anything. In other image editors I've used, at that point
the smudge function would work. I'm having this problem with a couple of
other Gimp tools. What am I missing? Thanks.

Guess you have read http://docs.gimp.org/2.6/en/gimp-tool-smudge.html

Do you have the layers dialog open and so confirm you are working on the image, and not another layer

Also make sure you are in rgb mode, Image->Image->Mode->RGB

A common beginner mistake is to have a selection active that doesn't include the area you are trying to smudge, or to have a layer selected that doesn't have the area you're trying to smudge.  <CTRL><SHIFT>A will get rid of all selections and if you have the layers dialog open you can click on the right layer.

Patrick

Akkana Peck
2010-02-11 18:35:36 UTC (about 14 years ago)

ChrisBrewster writes:

In addition to the suggestions others have already made, the online GIMP manual has a nice section called "Getting Unstuck": http://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-getting-unstuck.html When you get stuck (and it happens to all of us sometimes), it's helpful to go through that list. There are a few other possibilities that aren't in that list (for example, drawing tool modes) but it covers the most common causes.

...Akkana