RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

a:2:{i:0;s:9:"(unknown)";i:1;s:0:"";}

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

a:2:{i:0;s:9:"(unknown)";i:1;s:0:"";} Timothy Jedlicka bonzopad 16 Feb 07:17
  Sven Neumann 16 Feb 12:15
   Steve Stavropoulos 16 Feb 22:18
Timothy Jedlicka bonzopad
2004-02-16 07:17:01 UTC (about 20 years ago)

a:2:{i:0;s:9:"(unknown)";i:1;s:0:"";}

Perhaps a philosophical question/arguement. Using gimp2.0Pre3, visibility changes are added to the undo history. I like to use my visibility (the eyeball) to blink back and forth to see if I like the change, however this eats up my undo history. Shouldn't visibility be kept out of the undo history? Visibility has a built in undo - the eyeball, so why eat into the valuable undo history?

I commented out gimpitem.c lines (1028, 1029)

// if (gimage) // gimp_image_undo_push_item_visibility (gimage, NULL, item);

This seems to do it. I was going to try to code up a real solution but could not find the "preferences" module. We could make this a user settable option: VIS_UNDO == Visibility Added to Undo Stack: Yes/No

if (gimage && VIS_UNDO) gimp_image_undo_push_item_visibility (gimage, NULL, item);

----- Timothy Jedlicka, bonzo@lucent.com, 1-630-713-4436, AOL-IM=bonzowork Network Entomologist, Lucent Technologies, Testers For Hire

Sven Neumann
2004-02-16 12:15:01 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Hi,

Timothy Jedlicka bonzopad writes:

Perhaps a philosophical question/arguement. Using gimp2.0Pre3, visibility changes are added to the undo history. I like to use my visibility (the eyeball) to blink back and forth to see if I like the change, however this eats up my undo history. Shouldn't visibility be kept out of the undo history? Visibility has a built in undo - the eyeball, so why eat into the valuable undo history?

It doesn't eat much of your valuable undo history. In gimp-2.0 the undo stack has two limits. There is the minimum number of undo levels you want to keep and there's also a size limit. As long as you don't exceed the size limit, no undo operation is taken from the undo stack, even it the number of undo levels is exceeded. Since a visibility change only takes a few bytes of undo memory, you can change visibility a lot without discarding undo steps.

Changing the visibility of a drawable is a change to the image. We follow the philosophy that any change to the image must set the image's dirty flag and must be undoable.

Sven

Steve Stavropoulos
2004-02-16 22:18:46 UTC (about 20 years ago)

On 16 Feb 2004, Sven Neumann wrote:

Timothy Jedlicka bonzopad writes:

Changing the visibility of a drawable is a change to the image. We follow the philosophy that any change to the image must set the image's dirty flag and must be undoable.

Your reasoning is right, but the clattering of the undo history is still very annoying. So, I suggest to Timothy that he makes the visibility toggle not with the "eye", but using the undo history.