RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

using GIMP on the server side, to open PSD filesandcreate PNGs

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

Andrei Thomaz
2004-02-08 01:59:30 UTC (about 20 years ago)

using GIMP on the server side, to open PSD files and create PNGs

hello list,

i work with net art and i want to make a work that will have to:

a) read a PSD (Photoshop) file (or XCF, the GIMP format), uploaded by user; b) see how many layers the file has; c) generate a PNG file for each layer; d) generate an URL for each PNG. These PNGs will be used as textures in VRML. So, they will have to be accessible onlie.

I made some research in Google today, and I guess there are two alternatives:

a) use Perl + Gimp. I haven't found much information about that, but is seems is possible use GIMP to generate images for WWW, using Perl script. Do you have more information about how to do it? b) use the PHP extension for imagemagick and open the PSD file and generate the PNGs with it. Can it be done?
c) if you have some other idea, please, tell me.

thank you very much, andrei

--
RGB Design Digital
www.rgbdesigndigital.com.br

"First of all you can't be subversive without being subversive to yourself, that's very important. You miss something crucial if you think subversion means to have clearly defined enemies and act against them. The enemy always is always you, too and in the first place." http://www.koreawebart.org/2001/0100101110101101org.html

Andrei R. Thomaz www.rgbdesigndigital.com.br
www.atravesdoespelho.hpg.com.br

Sven Neumann
2004-02-08 12:57:41 UTC (about 20 years ago)

using GIMP on the server side, to open PSD files and create PNGs

Hi,

"Andrei Thomaz" writes:

a) read a PSD (Photoshop) file (or XCF, the GIMP format), uploaded by user; b) see how many layers the file has; c) generate a PNG file for each layer; d) generate an URL for each PNG. These PNGs will be used as textures in VRML. So, they will have to be accessible onlie.

a) use Perl + Gimp. I haven't found much information about that, but is seems is possible use GIMP to generate images for WWW, using Perl script. Do you have more information about how to do it? b) use the PHP extension for imagemagick and open the PSD file and generate the PNGs with it. Can it be done? c) if you have some other idea, please, tell me.

You could also use Script-Fu. Check out flamingtext.com, afaik it is using Script-Fu.

Sven

Andrei Thomaz
2004-02-08 15:23:56 UTC (about 20 years ago)

using GIMP on the server side, to open PSD files andcreate PNGs

hello sven,

i looked at flamingtext.com, but i haven't found a manual about how to integrate it with a HTML page...

thanks, andrei

"First of all you can't be subversive without being subversive to yourself, that's very important. You miss something crucial if you think subversion means to have clearly defined enemies and act against them. The enemy always is always you, too and in the first place." http://www.koreawebart.org/2001/0100101110101101org.html

To: "Andrei Thomaz"
CC: gimp-user@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] using GIMP on the server side, to open PSD files andcreate PNGs
Date: 08 Feb 2004 12:57:41 +0100

Hi,

"Andrei Thomaz" writes:

a) read a PSD (Photoshop) file (or XCF, the GIMP format), uploaded by

user;

b) see how many layers the file has; c) generate a PNG file for each layer; d) generate an URL for each PNG. These PNGs will be used as textures in VRML. So, they will have to be accessible onlie.

a) use Perl + Gimp. I haven't found much information about that, but is seems is possible use GIMP to generate images for WWW, using Perl script. Do you have more information about how to do it? b) use the PHP extension for imagemagick and open the PSD file and generate the PNGs with it. Can it be done? c) if you have some other idea, please, tell me.

You could also use Script-Fu. Check out flamingtext.com, afaik it is using Script-Fu.

Sven

Sven Neumann
2004-02-08 15:40:09 UTC (about 20 years ago)

using GIMP on the server side, to open PSD files andcreate PNGs

Hi,

"Andrei Thomaz" writes:

i looked at flamingtext.com, but i haven't found a manual about how to integrate it with a HTML page...

I didn't say that you would find such an explanation there. I was only pointing you at an example that shows what can be done using the Script-Fu server extension. If you are looking for docs, you should consider to google for it. Here's what I found:

http://www.linux-mag.com/2002-02/power_01.html

Sven

Andrei Thomaz
2004-02-08 19:08:33 UTC (about 20 years ago)

using GIMP on the server side, to open PSD filesandcreate PNGs

thanks sven. I had googled for "gimp server" and hadn't found this link :-)

[]'s andrei

To: "Andrei Thomaz"
CC: gimp-user@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] using GIMP on the server side, to open PSD filesandcreate PNGs
Date: 08 Feb 2004 15:40:09 +0100

Hi,

"Andrei Thomaz" writes:

I didn't say that you would find such an explanation there. I was only pointing you at an example that shows what can be done using the Script-Fu server extension. If you are looking for docs, you should consider to google for it. Here's what I found:

http://www.linux-mag.com/2002-02/power_01.html

Sven