RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

getting colors to match.

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

6 of 6 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

getting colors to match. tessanne 31 Oct 23:13
  getting colors to match. Gene Heskett 31 Oct 23:35
  getting colors to match. Noel Stoutenburg 01 Nov 01:11
  getting colors to match. Martin Nordholts 01 Nov 07:42
   getting colors to match. tessanne 01 Nov 08:52
    getting colors to match. Martin Nordholts 01 Nov 08:55
2009-10-31 23:13:34 UTC (over 14 years ago)
postings

getting colors to match.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!

HI,

I'm trying to get a print out (onto paper) that matches, in color an original photo that i scanned . Would it make sense to scan the original photo (with a photo scanner) and scan an attempted print out of the right color side by side, open them on gimp, find the difference in hue, saturation, rgb etc., and then use this difference between the two scanned images (say the difference between the two scanned images, again, the phtot and the attempted correct print out, is plus 7 green) to correct the original image ON GIMP (which I printed out and it became the attempted correct version) by adding plus 7 green, so that when it's printed out..... it will be the same color as the photo I scanned?

In other words, I know that scanning something then printing it out will not yield the exact same color as the original....... but can i use a scanner for comparison of color (i.e., the scanner will distort two images equally, right?).

thanks,

tess.

Gene Heskett
2009-10-31 23:35:46 UTC (over 14 years ago)

getting colors to match.

On Saturday 31 October 2009, tess anne wrote:

PLEASE HELP!!!!!

HI,

I'm trying to get a print out (onto paper) that matches, in color an original photo that i scanned . Would it make sense to scan the original photo (with a photo scanner) and scan an attempted print out of the right color side by side, open them on gimp, find the difference in hue, saturation, rgb etc., and then use this difference between the two scanned images (say the difference between the two scanned images, again, the phtot and the attempted correct print out, is plus 7 green) to correct the original image ON GIMP (which I printed out and it became the attempted correct version) by adding plus 7 green, so that when it's printed out..... it will be the same color as the photo I scanned?

In other words, I know that scanning something then printing it out will not yield the exact same color as the original....... but can i use a scanner for comparison of color (i.e., the scanner will distort two images equally, right?).

thanks,

tess.

This should, within reason work although I don't understand why the +7 green. I have done that both in the darkroom and in gimp. Gimp can probably to a better job of doing the corrections if one can grasp the fundamentals of gamma correction too. Or at least that seems to be the major time waster for me, since correct use of the gamma in the weakest color can compensate for some, but not all, age fading.

I have not done a 'due diligence' search of the wiki (the do it your own self old (75) fart male syndrome at work) to see if there is a good starter tutorial on that subject. There might be, if not, one needs written as its one of those things that can make you look like a magician to kin with older pix.

Noel Stoutenburg
2009-11-01 01:11:37 UTC (over 14 years ago)

getting colors to match.

tess anne:

In theory, what you propose should work. I'd be sure to scan a bit more than just the image, it's possible, especially if the difference in color values between the photo and your processed image are small, that the difference might be a difference in the whiteness of the paper on which the respective images are printed.

ns

Martin Nordholts
2009-11-01 07:42:53 UTC (over 14 years ago)

getting colors to match.

On 10/31/2009 11:13 PM, tess anne wrote:

I'm trying to get a print out (onto paper) that matches, in color an original photo that i scanned.

Have you looked into doing proper color management with color profiles?

/ Martin

2009-11-01 08:52:57 UTC (over 14 years ago)
postings

getting colors to match.

On 10/31/2009 11:13 PM, tess anne wrote:

I'm trying to get a print out (onto paper) that matches, in color an

original

photo that i scanned.

/ Martin

how do I do this... I am a beginner at gimp!

tessanne

Martin Nordholts
2009-11-01 08:55:32 UTC (over 14 years ago)

getting colors to match.

On 11/01/2009 08:52 AM, tessanne wrote:

/ Martin

how do I do this... I am a beginner at gimp!

tessanne

Color management is not program or device specific, to start you need to learn about color management in general. Googling on "color management" and reading the first few hits would be a good start. Next could be to buy a book on the subject.

/ Martin