RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Compile problems and GTK

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

13 of 14 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Compile problems and GTK Brad Kligerman 15 Jan 15:40
  Compile problems and GTK Neil Watson 15 Jan 15:50
  Compile problems and GTK Sven Neumann 15 Jan 18:03
   Compile problems and GTK Brad Kligerman 15 Jan 18:49
    Compile problems and GTK Sven Neumann 15 Jan 20:02
  Compile problems and GTK Brad Kligerman 20 Jan 23:19
   Compile problems and GTK Sven Neumann 21 Jan 01:00
Compile problems and GTK misfit-x 15 Jan 21:26
  Compile problems and GTK Sven Neumann 15 Jan 22:09
400875FA.7010604@club-inter... 07 Oct 20:16
  Compile problems and GTK misfit-x 17 Jan 06:18
   Compile problems and GTK Sven Neumann 17 Jan 11:52
    Compile problems and GTK Brad Kligerman 17 Jan 12:48
   Compile problems and GTK Brad Kligerman 17 Jan 12:08
Brad Kligerman
2004-01-15 15:40:47 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Compile problems and GTK

Hi all/

I've been trying to upgrade from GIMP 1.2.3 that was installed with RH9 to GIMP 1.3.23.
It won't configure, and I get the following...

[root@localhost gimp-1.3.23]# ./configure ......>>>>>
checking for pkg-config... (cached) /usr/bin/pkg-config checking for GTK+ - version >= 2.2.2... *** 'pkg-config --modversion gtk+-2.0' returned 2.2.4, but GTK+ (2.2.1) *** was found! If pkg-config was correct, then it is best *** to remove the old version of GTK+. You may also be able to fix the error
*** by modifying your LD_LIBRARY_PATH enviroment variable, or by editing *** /etc/ld.so.conf. Make sure you have run ldconfig if that is *** required on your system.
*** If pkg-config was wrong, set the environment variable PKG_CONFIG_PATH *** to point to the correct configuration files no configure: error: Test for GTK+ failed. See the file 'INSTALL' for help.

I installed GTK 2.2.4 and followed all the other installation instructions. When I check the version of GTK+ with Synaptic, it shows _GTK2 - version 2.2.1-4_ and not 2.2.4. Is this where the problem is coming from. Any ideas??
Thanks.
/brad.

Neil Watson
2004-01-15 15:50:59 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Compile problems and GTK

On Thu, Jan 15, 2004 at 03:40:47PM +0100, Brad Kligerman wrote:

Hi all/

I've been trying to upgrade from GIMP 1.2.3 that was installed with RH9 to GIMP 1.3.23.

checking for pkg-config... (cached) /usr/bin/pkg-config checking for GTK+ - version >= 2.2.2...

Perhaps you have the old version of GTK+ residing at /usr/bin and the new version somewhere in /usr/local?

Sven Neumann
2004-01-15 18:03:29 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Compile problems and GTK

Hi,

Brad Kligerman writes:

checking for pkg-config... (cached) /usr/bin/pkg-config checking for GTK+ - version >= 2.2.2... *** 'pkg-config --modversion gtk+-2.0' returned 2.2.4, but GTK+ (2.2.1) *** was found! If pkg-config was correct, then it is best *** to remove the old version of GTK+. You may also be able to fix the error
*** by modifying your LD_LIBRARY_PATH enviroment variable, or by editing *** /etc/ld.so.conf. Make sure you have run ldconfig if that is *** required on your system.
*** If pkg-config was wrong, set the environment variable PKG_CONFIG_PATH *** to point to the correct configuration files no configure: error: Test for GTK+ failed. See the file 'INSTALL' for help.

I installed GTK 2.2.4 and followed all the other installation instructions. When I check the version of GTK+ with Synaptic, it shows _GTK2 - version 2.2.1-4_ and not 2.2.4. Is this where the problem is coming from. Any ideas??

Yes, that's where your problem is coming from. While pkg-config locates the new version, your linker takes the library from /usr/lib. The error message suggests the possible solutions. You can modify the linker behaviour by adjusting your LD_LIBRARY_PATH enviroment variable or by editing /etc/ld.so.conf.

Sven

Brad Kligerman
2004-01-15 18:49:05 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Compile problems and GTK

Brad Kligerman writes:

Yes, that's where your problem is coming from. While pkg-config locates the new version, your linker takes the library from /usr/lib. The error message suggests the possible solutions. You can modify the linker behaviour by adjusting your LD_LIBRARY_PATH enviroment variable or by editing /etc/ld.so.conf.

I already had edited _/etc/ld.so.conf_ and ran _ldconfig_ as suggested in the message. It also suggests that I remove version GTK+ 2.2.1, which I never installed, and to the best of my knowlege, is not on my system. Synaptics says that I have _GTK2 - version 2.2.1-4_ and not _GTK+2.2.4_. Could this be the problem??

Sven Neumann
2004-01-15 20:02:41 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Compile problems and GTK

Hi,

Brad Kligerman writes:

I already had edited _/etc/ld.so.conf_ and ran _ldconfig_ as suggested in the message.

So where did you put /usr/local/lib in your library search path then? Does it appear before the path holding the older version of the library?

Sven

misfit-x
2004-01-15 21:26:59 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Compile problems and GTK

On Thu, 2004-01-15 at 09:40, Brad Kligerman wrote:

Hi all/

I solved this one myself. Just get GTK+2.2.4 SOURCES (not the rpm or anything), and compile with these flags. Here's how I did it:

1. remove the old version of gtk (rpm -e --force --nodeps gtk+-2.2.1 for example or whatever will remove just that. Don't remove any other gtk+ packages!!)

2. mkdir /opt/lib/gtk+-2.2.4

3. Compile and install the new gtk+-2.2.4 sources using: # ./configure --eprefix=/opt/lib/gtk+-2.2.4 --prefix=/opt/lib/gtk+-2.2.4 # make
# su
(type in your root password)
# make install

4. Next (still as root), edit /etc/ld.so.conf in a text editor and add the following line:

/opt/lib/gtk+-2.2.4/lib

5. Still as root:

# /sbin/ldconfig

NOTE: If you compile other apps that use GTK+ you might get an error about PKG_CONFIG_PATH not pointing to gtk+-2.0.pc. Do the following to fix that:

# locate gtk+-2.0.pc (take note of the path here) # export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=(path noted above w/o the *.pc filename included)

I know Gimp wants freetype libraries newer than what RH9 has but I didn't install them because it messes with XWindows on my system - the font path in the config gets blitzed. :( Gimp 1.3.23 and Gimp 2.0pre1 both work ok anyway without further packages added other than compiling/installing GTK+2.2.4. If you do like above, it should work ok. Don't know about tablet though because I don't have an art tablet or anything, just mouse.

.:: misfit-x ::.

Sven Neumann
2004-01-15 22:09:35 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Compile problems and GTK

Hi,

misfit-x writes:

Don't know about tablet though because I don't have an art tablet or anything, just mouse.

If tablet support is desired, gtk+ needs to be configured to provide it. To do so, pass the option --with-xinput=xfree to the gtk+ configure script.

Sven

misfit-x
2004-01-17 06:18:37 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Compile problems and GTK

On Fri, 2004-01-16 at 18:38, Brad Kligerman wrote:

checking for GTK+ - version >= 2.2.2... *** 'pkg-config --modversion gtk+-2.0' returned 2.2.4, but GTK+ (2.2.1) *** was found!
When I tried to uninstall GTK+ (2.2.1) as you suggested, it said 2.2.1 was not installed.

# rpm -qa | grep gtk+

If it shows 2.2.1 then:

# rpm -e --force gtk+-2.2.1

If that didn't work, then there's a config somewhere that's still saying there's a GTK+-2.2.1 somewhere. I have another idea... REinstall GTK+2.2.1, then uninstall it. Then reinstall (just make install in the source tree you compiled GTK+-2.2.4 in, if you still have the sources compiled (ie. didn't delete the dirs or run make clean yet)). And see if that helps.

Before I throw in the towel and go back to Photoshop, I just want to understand what my _/etc/ld.so.conf_ should look like. Mine has the following...

/opt/lib/gtk+-2.2.4/lib/pkgconfig

I would think it should be in /opt/lib/gtk+-2.2.4/lib instead?

/usr/X11R6/lib
/usr/kerberos/lib
/usr/lib/qt-3.1/lib
/usr/lib/sane

Rest of this looks good to me.

If you really really want to run PhotoShop, you can in linux using WINE (www.winehq.org). Runs slower but works - at least PS LE 5 worked for me. However, I would rather use Gimp, personally.

You can still use Gimp 1.2.x but the new 2.0pre1 is really nice. :)

Sven Neumann
2004-01-17 11:52:35 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Compile problems and GTK

Hi,

misfit-x writes:

If that didn't work, then there's a config somewhere that's still saying there's a GTK+-2.2.1 somewhere. I have another idea... REinstall GTK+2.2.1, then uninstall it. Then reinstall (just make install in the source tree you compiled GTK+-2.2.4 in, if you still have the sources compiled (ie. didn't delete the dirs or run make clean yet)). And see if that helps.

It isn't even necessary to remove the 2.2.1 version. The problem here is the wrong usage of /etc/ld.so.conf as you outlined below:

understand what my _/etc/ld.so.conf_ should look like. Mine has the following...

Just like misfit-x pointed out already, this is of course completely wrong. /etc/ld.so.conf has nothing to do with pkg-config. I would strongly suggest to take a short look at the man-pages before doing such changes. It certainly helps to know what files you are editing.

This is a very unusual install prefix that was choosen for gtk+ here. But if it's indeed "/opt/lib/gtk+-2.2.4", then the value you suggested is absolutely correct.

Sven

Brad Kligerman
2004-01-17 12:08:33 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Compile problems and GTK

misfit-x/

Thanks for pursuing this with me.

# rpm -qa | grep gtk+

The results:
[root@localhost gimp-1.3.23]# rpm -qa | grep gtk+ gtk+-devel-1.2.10-25
gtk+-1.2.10-25

But when I changed it from _gtk+_ to _rpm -qa | grep gtk2_ I got the following :
[root@localhost gimp-1.3.23]# rpm -qa | grep gtk2 pygtk2-devel-1.99.14-4
pygtk2-1.99.14-4
gtk2-2.2.1-4
gtk2-devel-2.2.1-4
pygtk2-libglade-1.99.14-4
gtk2-engines-2.2.0-2

Notice how _GTK+ 2.2.4_ becomes _gtk2-2.2.1-4_. Could this be where my system is getting gtk 2.2.1??
/brad

Before I throw in the towel and go back to Photoshop, I just want to understand what my _/etc/ld.so.conf_ should look like. Mine has the following...

/usr/X11R6/lib
/usr/kerberos/lib
/usr/lib/qt-3.1/lib
/usr/lib/sane

Rest of this looks good to me.

If you really really want to run PhotoShop, you can in linux using WINE (www.winehq.org). Runs slower but works - at least PS LE 5 worked for me. However, I would rather use Gimp, personally.

You can still use Gimp 1.2.x but the new 2.0pre1 is really nice. :)

Brad Kligerman
2004-01-17 12:48:53 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Compile problems and GTK

Sven/

Just like misfit-x pointed out already, this is of course completely wrong. /etc/ld.so.conf has nothing to do with pkg-config. I would strongly suggest to take a short look at the man-pages before doing such changes. It certainly helps to know what files you are editing.

Point well taken. In my desperation to get this thing installed, I got misfit-x's indications mixed up. I guess I will take a look at the man-pages, but I still can't figure out why I can't straighten this thing out, especially since I already have an older GIMP that works on my system.

/brad.

Brad Kligerman
2004-01-20 23:19:55 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Compile problems and GTK

Sven+x/

By hook or by crook, I finally managed to compile GIMP2.0. I still don't understand why it was such a mess, but I learned a whole bunch in the process. Thanks go out to both of you for your patience.

As for GIMP 2.0, I started it immediately after I got it compiled and everything worked fine, in fact it looks great. But since I rebooted, I get the following message:>
$ gimp-1.3
gimp-1.3: error while loading shared libraries: libgimpcolor-1.3.so.24: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

The file _libgimpcolor-1.3.so.24_ is in /usr/local/lib and is linked to _libgimpcolor-1.3.so.24.1.0_.
Any ideas what's going on?

Thanks again, /brad.

Brad Kligerman wrote:

Hi all/

[root@localhost gimp-1.3.23]# ./configure .......>>>>>

Thanks.
/brad.

Sven Neumann
2004-01-21 01:00:59 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Compile problems and GTK

Hi,

Brad Kligerman writes:

By hook or by crook, I finally managed to compile GIMP2.0. I still don't understand why it was such a mess, but I learned a whole bunch in the process. Thanks go out to both of you for your patience.

As for GIMP 2.0, I started it immediately after I got it compiled and everything worked fine, in fact it looks great. But since I rebooted, I get the following message:>
$ gimp-1.3
gimp-1.3: error while loading shared libraries: libgimpcolor-1.3.so.24: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

The file _libgimpcolor-1.3.so.24_ is in /usr/local/lib and is linked to _libgimpcolor-1.3.so.24.1.0_.
Any ideas what's going on?

You probably set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to get gimp going and your linker can't find the library now that it isn't set. You will want to read the ldconfig man-page to learn how to configure the linker path persistently.

Sven