RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

precise pixel manipulation

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

precise pixel manipulation John McCain 09 Jan 06:56
  precise pixel manipulation Sven Neumann 09 Jan 11:23
  precise pixel manipulation Carl Brown 09 Jan 18:26
John McCain
2004-01-09 06:56:47 UTC (over 20 years ago)

I am a graphics newbie, so bear with me.

When I try to copy an image fragment including a jagged diagonal line into another image, Gimp seems to tend to wash the edges a little, creating a gradient between the colors of the two bordering sections about 3-4 pixels wide. I don't want this. Furthermore, when I try to use the "1 pixel paint brush" tool, I get a blob that never colors any one pixel the color I want, and tends to smear color around all the adjacent pixels, making it impossible to do fine corrections.

Is there some kind of global aliasing issue going on that I need to configure?

Sven Neumann
2004-01-09 11:23:32 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Hi,

"John McCain" writes:

When I try to copy an image fragment including a jagged diagonal line into another image, Gimp seems to tend to wash the edges a little, creating a gradient between the colors of the two bordering sections about 3-4 pixels wide. I don't want this.

Could you explain how you copy the image fragment? I guess you are using anti-aliasing with the selection tool but since you didn't provide any details, I can only guess.

Furthermore, when I try to use the "1 pixel paint brush" tool, I get a blob that never colors any one pixel the color I want, and tends to smear color around all the adjacent pixels, making it impossible to do fine corrections.

You probably want to use the Pencil tool. It behaves just like the Paintbrush tool but doesn't do sub-pixel positioning and anti-aliasing.

Sven

Carl Brown
2004-01-09 18:26:11 UTC (over 20 years ago)

On Friday 09 January 2004 00:56, John McCain wrote:

When I try to copy an image fragment including a jagged diagonal line into another image, Gimp seems to tend to wash the edges a little, creating a gradient between the colors of the two bordering sections about 3-4 pixels wide.

Frequently, at least when working with photographic type images, a fuzzy selection works better than a precise one. Don't forget that you can use transparency (alpha channel), and fade the edges of a selection not only by blurring with another image but also from opaque to transparent over a defined number of pixels.

Recommended reading: http://gimp-savvy.com/BOOK/