RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Gimp2.0pre

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

31 of 33 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

SANE support of GIMP-1.3? Conrad Newton 09 Jan 02:34
  SANE support of GIMP-1.3? Joao S. O. Bueno 09 Jan 19:40
   SANE support of GIMP-1.3? Henrik Brix Andersen 09 Jan 20:21
   SANE support of GIMP-1.3? Sven Neumann 09 Jan 20:51
    Gimp2.0pre Thomas Spuhler 09 Jan 21:00
     Gimp2.0pre Joao S. O. Bueno 09 Jan 21:49
      Gimp2.0pre Thomas Spuhler 09 Jan 22:47
       Gimp2.0pre Eric Pierce 10 Jan 01:16
      Gimp2.0pre Thomas Spuhler 12 Jan 17:05
       Gimp2.0pre Dave Neary 12 Jan 17:19
        Gimp2.0pre Sven Neumann 12 Jan 19:14
        Gimp2.0pre Thomas Spuhler 12 Jan 20:32
         Gimp2.0pre Sven Neumann 12 Jan 20:40
          Gimp2.0pre Thomas Spuhler 12 Jan 20:46
           Gimp2.0pre Sven Neumann 12 Jan 20:52
            Gimp2.0pre Thomas Spuhler 13 Jan 00:12
            Gimp2.0pre Fabio S. 13 Jan 09:54
             Gimp2.0pre Sven Neumann 13 Jan 11:47
              Gimp2.0pre BandiPat 13 Jan 14:48
             Gimp2.0pre raymond ostertag 13 Jan 20:15
              Gimp2.0pre Fabio S. 14 Jan 11:54
               Gimp2.0pre raymond ostertag 14 Jan 20:48
                Gimp2.0pre Fabio S. 15 Jan 10:12
         Gimp2.0pre Ville Pätsi 12 Jan 20:45
       Gimp2.0pre Sven Neumann 12 Jan 17:37
     Gimp2.0pre Sven Neumann 09 Jan 22:21
     Gimp2.0pre Owen Cook 10 Jan 03:01
     Gimp2.0pre Carol Spears 12 Jan 07:12
1073936541.2935.129.camel@i... 07 Oct 20:16
  Gimp2.0pre Sven Neumann 12 Jan 20:49
20040112055033.GB8281@gimp.org 07 Oct 20:16
  SANE support of GIMP-1.3? Joao S. O. Bueno 13 Jan 14:44
   SANE support of GIMP-1.3? Sven Neumann 13 Jan 16:13
Conrad Newton
2004-01-09 02:34:22 UTC (over 20 years ago)

SANE support of GIMP-1.3?

What is the state of scanner support for GIMP-1.3?

I have been reading statements on the web that say that SANE works with GIMP-1.2 but not GIMP-1.3. Is this still the case, or has the situation changed?

Thanks, Conrad

Joao S. O. Bueno
2004-01-09 19:40:56 UTC (over 20 years ago)

On Thursday 08 January 2004 23:34, Conrad Newton wrote:

I have been reading statements on the web that say that SANE works with GIMP-1.2 but not GIMP-1.3. Is this still the case, or has the situation changed?

Thanks, Conrad

I don't know, but IMO this issue is a __totally blocker__ for 2.0 final.
Not only it would hurt the GIMP but the whole GNU/Linux and free software, if there came out a major distribution in which a previously "working" scanner would stop working. And distros will include GIMP 2, and send out GIMP 1.2.

JS ->

-

Henrik Brix Andersen
2004-01-09 20:21:24 UTC (over 20 years ago)

On Fri, 2004-01-09 at 19:40, Joao S. O. Bueno wrote:

How can a 3rd-party plug-in be a blocker for The GIMP 2.0?

Not only it would hurt the GIMP but the whole GNU/Linux and free software, if there came out a major distribution in which a previously "working" scanner would stop working. And distros will include GIMP 2, and send out GIMP 1.2.

I doubt that. There are other means of scanning an image using SANE apart from using the GIMP plug-in...

./Brix

Sven Neumann
2004-01-09 20:51:44 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Hi,

"Joao S. O. Bueno" writes:

Well, porting XSane to GIMP-2.0 is probably about an hour of work so I don't see why you worry about this. It certainly isn't a blocker.

Sven

Thomas Spuhler
2004-01-09 21:00:03 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Gimp2.0pre

Has anybody been able to install it on Mandrake 9.2 I'll get into a dependency hell when trying to make an rpm. The main problem is to get freetype 2 that will install w/o dependency problems

Tom

Joao S. O. Bueno
2004-01-09 21:49:27 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Gimp2.0pre

??
It compiled and installed flawlesly on my Mandrake 9.2 system. I think freetype 2 came installed by default here.

Nonetheless, I used no RPM. Just urpmi for the dependencies, and them configure, make, make install.

Regards, JS
->

On Friday 09 January 2004 18:00, Thomas Spuhler wrote:

[Gimp-user] Gimp2.0pre
Date: Today 18:00:03
From: Thomas Spuhler (TUSONIX, Inc.) To: gimp-user@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu

Message was signed with unknown key. The validity of the signature cannot be verified. Problem: OpenPGP plug-in was not specified. Use the 'Settings->Configure KMail->Security' dialog to specify the plug-in or ask your system administrator to do that for you.

Has anybody been able to install it on Mandrake 9.2 I'll get into a dependency hell when trying to make an rpm. The main problem is to get freetype 2 that will install w/o dependency problems

Tom

End of signed message

Sven Neumann
2004-01-09 22:21:32 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Gimp2.0pre

Hi,

Thomas Spuhler writes:

Since freetype2 is used as the standard font rendering engine for quite a lot of libraries nowadays (most prominently Xft2) it should already be availble.

Sven

Thomas Spuhler
2004-01-09 22:47:25 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Gimp2.0pre

Which freetype2 version do you have.

I tried to make a rpm with the following command, just in case I need to uninstall it.

rpm -ta gimp-2.0pre1.tar.bz2

I get the following:

error: Failed build dependencies: gimp-print-devel >= 4.2.0 is needed by gimp-2.0pre1-1 librsvg2-devel >= 2.0 is needed by gimp-2.0pre1-1 gtkhtml2-devel >= 2.0.0 is needed by gimp-2.0pre1-1

I then tried to download in install these packages and finally ended up with:
Some package requested cannot be installed: librsvg2-2.2.3-2.i386 (due to unsatisfied freetype[>= 2.0.1]) do you agree ?

and when installing freetype-2.1.2-2.rpm I get really into a dependency problem asking about 100packages to uninstall such as OpenOffice etc.

It is not provided by MDK anymore as an rpm, just source rpm? How do I make an rpm from a src.rpm?

Tom

On Fri, 2004-01-09 at 13:49, Joao S. O. Bueno wrote:

??
It compiled and installed flawlesly on my Mandrake 9.2 system. I think freetype 2 came installed by default here.

Nonetheless, I used no RPM. Just urpmi for the dependencies, and them configure, make, make install.

Regards, JS
->

[Gimp-user] Gimp2.0pre

Message was signed with unknown key. The validity of the signature cannot be verified. Problem: OpenPGP plug-in was not specified. Use the 'Settings->Configure KMail->Security' dialog to specify the plug-in or ask your system administrator to do that for you.

Tom

End of signed message

Eric Pierce
2004-01-10 01:16:56 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Gimp2.0pre

Without thinking all that hard about the details of your problem, why don't you just compile gimp from source? Then you'll find out what you really need to compile/install.

Tip: use 'checkinstall' instead of 'make install'. It'll do a 'make install' for you and make custom RPMs of anything your installing. Then you can cleanly remove programs down the road and delete the bloated directory where you compile any given program.

Just my 2 bits. Eric

Which freetype2 version do you have.

I tried to make a rpm with the following command, just in case I need to uninstall it.

rpm -ta gimp-2.0pre1.tar.bz2

I get the following:

error: Failed build dependencies: gimp-print-devel >= 4.2.0 is needed by gimp-2.0pre1-1 librsvg2-devel >= 2.0 is needed by gimp-2.0pre1-1 gtkhtml2-devel >= 2.0.0 is needed by gimp-2.0pre1-1

I then tried to download in install these packages and finally ended up with:
Some package requested cannot be installed: librsvg2-2.2.3-2.i386 (due to unsatisfied freetype[>= 2.0.1]) do you agree ?

and when installing freetype-2.1.2-2.rpm I get really into a dependency problem asking about 100packages to uninstall such as OpenOffice etc.

It is not provided by MDK anymore as an rpm, just source rpm? How do I make an rpm from a src.rpm?

Tom

??

Regards, JS
->

[Gimp-user] Gimp2.0pre

Tom

End of signed message

Owen Cook
2004-01-10 03:01:40 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Gimp2.0pre

On Fri, 9 Jan 2004, Thomas Spuhler wrote:

Yes, I have Gimp2.0pre on Mdk 9.2

Have you installed

freetype2-tools-2.1.4-1mdk libfreetype6-devel-2.1.4-6mdk
libfreetype6-static-devel-2.1.4-6mdk

What are the error messages?

Owen

Carol Spears
2004-01-12 07:12:53 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Gimp2.0pre

hello,
On Fri, Jan 09, 2004 at 01:00:03PM -0700, Thomas Spuhler wrote:

well, here is the ditz's take on it, but especially with linux, you need to be really careful about the names. mandrake and freetype might always have issues, for the simple matter of why they chose the names they did. the names dont work well together. mandrake would be a completely different idea than freetype; neither one being a bad idea either.

redhat is so much like what you might expect from something wearing a red hat. one time stable installation. wait a long time. then reinstall. well chosen aliases so that if you change distributions, you will at least miss them. carefree night on the town in a red hat, or to the rescue. maybe an old lady with a good recipe who is also wearing a purple dress? i think redhat is sort of like america and what is good about it. you might not prefer this however.

debian is a bunch of guys contributing. oh, i am sure there are some girl contributors also, but many more guys. ian started it for his girlfriend debbie. one of debians big issues is that debbie has lots of boyfriends now. they talked me into running sid, so i could get netscape3 back (it is the same as making me dress risque so that i can go ballroom dancing) then they broke something so it doesnt work. I call it all dressed up and no where to go. very very much like having one or a million boyfriends. i see no difference.

i have no idea what the gentoo people are doing. same with knoppix.

the thing i wish i had done was to build my own from scratch. the linux people have been racing with windows for so long now, i should have done this in 1999. it seems like a huge project now.

mandrake and gimp have always had a weird relationship; i really think it is the names.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=mandrake&r=67 the root is poisonous. i am sure that little bits of it might be beneficial.

gimp, well. not named after a poison; at least not to itself.

carol

Thomas Spuhler
2004-01-12 17:05:51 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Gimp2.0pre

It compiled here using the configure, make, make install after installing some libraries.
Would be nice if I could make rpm's, but I guess the package is not set up that way.
It looks really nice and has very nice new features. However, I cannot find CMYK mode. I read a review and it was told that this has now been implemented.
This is a requirement in order to open files that have been produced on Photoshop full Edition by our ad agency. Am I missing something?
Tom

??

Regards, JS
->

[Gimp-user] Gimp2.0pre

Tom

End of signed message

Dave Neary
2004-01-12 17:19:07 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Gimp2.0pre

Hi,

Thomas Spuhler wrote:

It compiled here using the configure, make, make install after installing some libraries.
Would be nice if I could make rpm's, but I guess the package is not set up that way.

There is a gimp.spec file in CVS, and in the tarball, and there are GIMP RPMs pre-built by drc.

It looks really nice and has very nice new features. However, I cannot find CMYK mode. I read a review and it was told that this has now been implemented.

That would be inaccurate... you can save as CMYK TIFF, but the transforms are really quite simple. There is no native CMYK editting mode.

This is a requirement in order to open files that have been produced on Photoshop full Edition by our ad agency. Am I missing something?

Afraid not.

Cheers,
Dave.

Sven Neumann
2004-01-12 17:37:24 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Gimp2.0pre

Hi,

Thomas Spuhler writes:

It compiled here using the configure, make, make install after installing some libraries. Would be nice if I could make rpm's, but I guess the package is not set up that way.

The tarball comes with a working spec file. RPM packages for 2.0pre1 appeared within one day after the source was released.

Well, quite a few people talked a lot of stupid things about CMYK support in 2.0. The fact is that there are some small improvements over GIMP-1.2 in this area but not what I would call full CMYK support. Probably the most interesting thing in this area is the soft-proof display filter that allows to get an estimate of how the printed image would look. This is implemented using ICC color profiles.

Sven

Sven Neumann
2004-01-12 19:14:54 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Gimp2.0pre

Hi,

Dave Neary writes:

That would be inaccurate... you can save as CMYK TIFF, but the transforms are really quite simple.

I am sorry Dave, but this is wrong. The TIFF plug-in included with GIMP-2.0 cannot create CMYK files. It can however read CMYK and have libtiff promote it to RGB.

There is a 3rd-party plug-in that does CMYK separations based on ICC profiles by means of lcms. I've ported it to the 2.0 API lately. Not sure if the plug-in author integrated my patch yet.

Sven

Thomas Spuhler
2004-01-12 20:32:58 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Gimp2.0pre

Well, I think I am going the hard way and compile. The prebuilt rpm's don't install because of incorrect dependencies. Trying to build rpms, is getting me further now but I'll get:

[root@international Gimp2]# rpmbuild -tb gimp-2.0pre1.tar.bz2 error: Failed build dependencies:
gimp-print-devel >= 4.2.0 is needed by gimp-2.0pre1-1 gtkhtml2-devel >= 2.0.0 is needed by gimp-2.0pre1-1

MDK does not provide gtkhtml2-devel, but does libgtkhtml2_0-2.4.0-1mdk
libgtkhtml2_0-devel-2.4.0-1mdk
and
libgtkhtml-3.0_2-3.0.8-1mdk
libgtkhtml-3.0_2-devel-3.0.8-1mdk

also gimp-print-develop is not provided.
I have libgimpprint1-develop-4.2.5-30mdk installed

"equivalent" packages from Redhat do collide with the libraries from MDK.

Tomn

On Mon, 2004-01-12 at 09:19, Dave Neary wrote:

Hi,

Thomas Spuhler wrote:

There is a gimp.spec file in CVS, and in the tarball, and there are GIMP RPMs pre-built by drc.

That would be inaccurate... you can save as CMYK TIFF, but the transforms are really quite simple. There is no native CMYK editting mode.

Afraid not.

Cheers,
Dave.

Sven Neumann
2004-01-12 20:40:57 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Gimp2.0pre

Hi,

Thomas Spuhler writes:

and

These are two different libraries with incompatible APIs. Actually gtkhtml2 is a rewrite while gtkhtml3 is a newer version gtkhtml1. You will need gtkhtml2 for the GIMP help browser plug-in.

also
gimp-print-develop is not provided.

This looks just perfect for gimp's print plug-in.

Sven

Ville Pätsi
2004-01-12 20:45:17 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Gimp2.0pre

On Mon, 2004-01-12 at 21:32, Thomas Spuhler wrote:

"equivalent" packages from Redhat do collide with the libraries from MDK.

This is a given. Mandrake intentionally changed package names when it "branched off" from Red Hat. If you want to make rpms for Mandrake you're going to have to create a different specfile.

Thomas Spuhler
2004-01-12 20:46:41 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Gimp2.0pre

On Mon, 2004-01-12 at 12:40, Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

Thomas Spuhler writes:

and

These are two different libraries with incompatible APIs. Actually gtkhtml2 is a rewrite while gtkhtml3 is a newer version gtkhtml1. You will need gtkhtml2 for the GIMP help browser plug-in.

Wouldn't the
libgtkhtml2_0-2.4.0-1mdk
suffice?
Tom

also
gimp-print-develop is not provided.

This looks just perfect for gimp's print plug-in.

Sven

Sven Neumann
2004-01-12 20:49:04 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Gimp2.0pre

Hi,

Thomas Spuhler writes:

The most important is to be able to open (read) files from Photoshop that are saved as CMYK (.psd files)

GIMP-2.0 can open these. However since the CMYK->RGB conversion is done quite naively I am not sure the result will be useful in a professional environment. This will certainly be improved in the future.

Sven

Sven Neumann
2004-01-12 20:52:59 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Gimp2.0pre

Hi,

Thomas Spuhler writes:

Wouldn't the
libgtkhtml2_0-2.4.0-1mdk
suffice?

Isn't that what I said? I am sorry I don't know about the package names of Mandrake or RedHat or whatever distribution. I can only tell you what software you need. The translation to package names is up to you.

Sven

Thomas Spuhler
2004-01-13 00:12:35 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Gimp2.0pre

On Mon, 2004-01-12 at 12:52, Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

Thomas Spuhler writes:

Wouldn't the
libgtkhtml2_0-2.4.0-1mdk
suffice?

Isn't that what I said? I am sorry I don't know about the package names of Mandrake or RedHat or whatever distribution. I can only tell you what software you need. The translation to package names is up to you.

Swen, I did a normal compilation and install and that worked. But I want to try to build an rpm. Which one is the spec file where I need to change the package names?
Sorry for using your time, but I feel I need to do this once.

Sven

Fabio S.
2004-01-13 09:54:34 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Gimp2.0pre

Wouldn't the
libgtkhtml2_0-2.4.0-1mdk
suffice?

It makes some time that I have a question and I couldn't find an answer anywhere. Forgive me if it seems stupid/faq/naif or whatelse.

It seems that compiling a brand new gimp is no simple matter at all: following all dependencies is really a hard matter! Would it be possible to provide, together with the sources, also a static rpm (or tar.gz, if you prefer), which could install everywhere? I guess that it would be quite big, but maybe one can add a warning "This is a static version: it is BAD. Use it only if you can't manage otherwise!"

But, for example, take my case: I have a mandrake 9.0. On it, I succeeded to compile gimp 1.2.5. I also tried to compile 1.3.x, but dependencies errors where so many that to correct them I needed to deeply change my system: it would have been faster to upgrade the distribution. I did nothing.
I guess the same will be with gimp 2.0. Now, I am completely happy with my system: am I forced to upgrade distribution just to be able to use gimp 2.0? This would really upset me. Note that the point is not that I am scared at upgrading the system: my first distro was RH 4.x and since I used at least one of any major release. The point is simply that for some month I will have no spare time for doing this... :-(((

Finally, let me just point out that what I am proposing is just what is being done for mozilla: I couldn't compile 1.5 it neither, yet they provide a binary version which installed painless on my system and works smoothly.

Best regards

Fabio

Sven Neumann
2004-01-13 11:47:51 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Gimp2.0pre

Hi,

"Fabio S." writes:

It seems that compiling a brand new gimp is no simple matter at all: following all dependencies is really a hard matter!

Almost all distributions that I know of have all the GIMP dependencies nicely packaged. Since GNOME2 has basically the same dependencies as GIMP2, gimp2 installs out of the box on a lot of computers.

If you have problems to follow the dependencies (shouldn't your package manager do this for you?) I suggest you read the file INSTALL where we try to give you the necessary hints.

Would it be possible to provide, together with the sources, also a static rpm (or tar.gz, if you prefer), which could install everywhere? I guess that it would be quite big, but maybe one can add a warning "This is a static version: it is BAD. Use it only if you can't manage otherwise!"

Feel free to build such a static version. We, the GIMP developers, do not provide any binary versions whatsoever. We lack the time and the resources to build and maintain them.

But, for example, take my case: I have a mandrake 9.0. On it, I succeeded to compile gimp 1.2.5. I also tried to compile 1.3.x, but dependencies errors where so many that to correct them I needed to deeply change my system: it would have been faster to upgrade the distribution. I did nothing.

Sure. GIMP2 is a new version. It builds on new versions of the underlying libraries. We couldn't have improved GIMP without the improvements done in GTK2 etc. Fortunately you can install gimp-1.2 and gimp-2.0 and all its dependencies side by side so it's very unlikely that an update to gimp-2.0 will break any software that used to work before. You don't really need to change your system to update to gimp-2.0. You only need to add a couple of additional packages. If you are not willing to go this way, then you should probably wait a few weeks until packages for your distribution show up. If your distribution is hopelessly outdated you will have to face the fact that you will need to upgrade it or stick to the old software.

Sven

Joao S. O. Bueno
2004-01-13 14:44:59 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Carol,

Indeed, for the vast majority of GNU/Linux users nowadays, it is trivial to open xsane, and later the GIMP.

What we do have to keep in mind is that the tide is turning. Free Software is getting more and more used across corporations and governments alike.

People who works with Images and are used to proprietary software will sometimes search any excuse to tell bad things about free software. Nt being able to scan straight into the GIMP, when a Paint Shop Pro under windows 3.1 could do that, would be nearly shamefull.

Actually this plugin may not be that important for the current GIMP users. I am worried to the upcoming ones.

I think that bringing the xsane plugin up to date with gimp 2.0 would be quite an interesting thing to be done in time for the next releases of the big distros (witch at the moment seen to be Mandrake and SuSE) .

Regards,
JS
->

On Monday 12 January 2004 03:50, Carol Spears wrote:

On Fri, Jan 09, 2004 at 04:40:56PM -0200, Joao S. O. Bueno wrote:

On Thursday 08 January 2004 23:34, Conrad Newton wrote:

Thanks, Conrad

can you explain to me what the problem with using two different software apps is?

i have a totally different perspective on this. to me, scanning is scanning, pixel manipulation is pixel manipulation. one involves a devise. a scanning app manipulates a devise. a graphics app manipulates pixels.

i get grumpy because i was taught to do things this one way, and i liked it. where one project does not keep another project down. the complexity of keeping two projects working at the same time is enormous. gimp already does this with gtk+. in return it gets all those widgets and a way to tell the computer what to do. what you just called a blocker is one little menu entry. and you want to shut the whole project down for this?

i am trying to understand whatever could make this such an issue? is there a bigger list of things that this one menu entry can do that i do not know about? i would love to understand this.

i used sane the other day. i typed xsane& while my console was within the directory i wanted to save the scan to. once the scanning was accomplished, i chose File-->Quit (or whatever it is) and then typed gimp& within this same directory. File-->Open and choosing the file i had scanned and my image was there.

is it that difficult in kde to open apps that the whole world has to stop for a completely separate project? i guess i just need to know what you get from such a, eh, marriage of projects. one that none of the good "volunteers" are willing to get into. i know, i need more than one menu entry to keep a friend. i need call backs. i need help with my projects. Computers are not people, but projects are.

thanks
carol

BandiPat
2004-01-13 14:48:36 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Gimp2.0pre

On Tuesday 13 January 2004 05:47 am, Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

"Fabio S." writes:

It seems that compiling a brand new gimp is no simple matter at all: following all dependencies is really a hard matter!

Almost all distributions that I know of have all the GIMP dependencies nicely packaged. Since GNOME2 has basically the same dependencies as GIMP2, gimp2 installs out of the box on a lot of computers.

If you have problems to follow the dependencies (shouldn't your package manager do this for you?) I suggest you read the file INSTALL where we try to give you the necessary hints.

Would it be possible to provide, together with the sources, also a static rpm (or tar.gz, if you prefer), which could install everywhere? I guess that it would be quite big, but maybe one can add a warning "This is a static version: it is BAD. Use it only if you can't manage otherwise!"

Feel free to build such a static version. We, the GIMP developers, do not provide any binary versions whatsoever. We lack the time and the resources to build and maintain them.

[...]

Sven

Fabio,
Let me step in and add to Sven's explanations. Fabio, even if a static version existed, it would still not work with your older system. If you have managed to keep 9.0 as it was installed, without updating components, you would still not be able to run this nice new GTK+ program called The Gimp! At some point in any program's life, it has to move on, get away from the old for the betterment of the program. As a user of Linux, you should understand that better than user's of other OS's! You don't have to update, you can run what you have for years, that's the beauty of Linux, but if having newer & better is a thing you prefer, then you need a newer & better base to use it.

As Sven said, most all new distros are equipped to compile Gimp 2.x and if you want to see it run, either view it on someone else's computer or update yours to handle the compile, simple as that. No insult intended, just pointing out a fact.

Patrick

Sven Neumann
2004-01-13 16:13:44 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Hi Joao,

I think that bringing the xsane plugin up to date with gimp 2.0 would be quite an interesting thing to be done in time for the next releases of the big distros (witch at the moment seen to be Mandrake and SuSE) .

I think I said that it would be trivial to port XSane to GIMP-2.0. In the time it took you to write this mail, you could have done the port instead. I've just spent a few minutes on it and have xsane working with GIMP from CVS. Since I don't have a scanner here, I couldn't give it much testing but I don't see why it should not work. The major obstacle was that the xsane tarball seems to be missing some m4 macros that are needed to recreate the configure script. Since XSane already compiles against GTK+-2.0, I got away with changing two or three lines of code, all other changes were done only to adapt the build environment to use GIMP-2.0.

Since I don't want to step on the feet of the XSane maintainer I am not going to post a diff here. If Oliver Rauch is interested in my changes, I am hereby offering my help to port XSane to GIMP-2.0.

Sven

raymond ostertag
2004-01-13 20:15:01 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Gimp2.0pre

Le mar 13/01/2004 à 09:54, Fabio S. a écrit :

Now, I am completely happy with my system: am I forced to upgrade distribution just to be able to use gimp 2.0? This would really upset me. Note that the point is not that I am scared at upgrading the system: my first distro was RH 4.x and since I used at least one of any major release. The point is simply that for some month I will have no spare time for doing this... :-(((

Did you try URPM ? in Contrib repository (not updated) I can see gimp 1.3.21, gimp-pyton 1.3.21, gimp2-freetype, gimp2-gap_20030730. I did'nt try myself because I prefer the compilation for Gimp2 but it's what Mandrake gives to their users.

@+ Raymond

Fabio S.
2004-01-14 11:54:42 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Gimp2.0pre

B

Now, I am completely happy with my system: am I forced to upgrade distribution just to be able to use gimp 2.0? This would really upset me. Note that the point is not that I am scared at upgrading the system: my first distro was RH 4.x and since I used at least one of any major release. The point is simply that for some month I will have no spare time for doing this... :-(((

Did you try URPM ? in Contrib repository (not updated) I can see gimp 1.3.21, gimp-pyton 1.3.21, gimp2-freetype, gimp2-gap_20030730. I did'nt try myself because I prefer the compilation for Gimp2 but it's what Mandrake gives to their users.

Well, in the contribs for 9.0 I can see only 1.3.8, but maybe the mirror I am using is not updated: which is your mirror?

Of course, if in the contribs they will provide a packaged version of gimp2, then urpmi would solve all problems (but for optimization, but of course I know that I can't get everything....!) Maybe if I wait some weeks (after the release of the final 2.0), I will have some luck.

About the other point which is in discussion (introduction of a warning for updates), if my opinion can interest anybody I would say that I am against it. This for the simple reason that most of the time I use gimp at home, where I have simply a modem connection, which, of course, is most of the time of. But even at work I don't like "autoupdates". In case you will install such a check, I wish that there will be a startup screen which will let the user to disabilitate it.

Fabio

raymond ostertag
2004-01-14 20:48:37 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Gimp2.0pre

Le mer 14/01/2004 à 11:54, Fabio S. a écrit :

Well, in the contribs for 9.0 I can see only 1.3.8, but maybe the mirror I am using is not updated: which is your mirror?

Well it's 9.2/contrib for me then in your case you probably needs two repository : 9.2/sources to get the stuff from standard Mandrake 9.2 and 9.2/contrib tu get Gimp2.

Of course, if in the contribs they will provide a packaged version of gimp2, then urpmi would solve all problems (but for optimization, but of course I know that I can't get everything....!) Maybe if I wait some weeks (after the release of the final 2.0), I will
have some luck.

If you install gimp-1.3.21 and gimp-1-3-21-devel from URPM repository the dependancies problem will be probably solved and then you could download and compil the last gimp-2.0 yourself without waiting a RPM in contrib. Even if you still need more recent libs you can get it from the 9.2/sources.

@+ Raymond

Fabio S.
2004-01-15 10:12:04 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Gimp2.0pre

Well it's 9.2/contrib for me then in your case you probably needs two repository : 9.2/sources to get the stuff from standard Mandrake 9.2 and 9.2/contrib tu get Gimp2.

You can't use contribs 9.2 on mdk 9.0... :-(( dependencies would not be fullfilled and urpmi will not help you.

Of course, if in the contribs they will provide a packaged version of gimp2, then urpmi would solve all problems (but for optimization, but of course I know that I can't get everything....!) Maybe if I wait some weeks (after the release of the final 2.0), I will
have some luck.

If you install gimp-1.3.21 and gimp-1-3-21-devel from URPM repository the dependancies problem will be probably solved and then you could download and compil the last gimp-2.0 yourself without waiting a RPM in contrib. Even if you still need more recent libs you can get it from the 9.2/sources.

On the other hand, this could be practicable: I will try it, as soon as I will have some spare time (at least 9 weeks... :-(((

Fabio