RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

select shadows

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

select shadows norman 06 Apr 16:45
  select shadows David Gowers 07 Apr 01:02
norman
2009-04-06 16:45:09 UTC (about 15 years ago)

select shadows

I know how to select by colour but is it possible to select by tonality such as shadow area. Please help an ignorant Gimper.

Norman

David Gowers
2009-04-07 01:02:48 UTC (about 15 years ago)

select shadows

Hi norman,

On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 12:15 AM, norman wrote:

I know how to select by colour but is it possible to select by tonality such as shadow area. Please help an ignorant Gimper.

Of course; for applications like this, I typically use QuickMask mode.

I 1. Copy the image
2. Enter QuickMask mode
3. Paste the image and Anchor it
4. Colors->Auto->Normalize
5. Exit QuickMask mode

The above will select pixels based on their intensity -- a pixel of 0 intensity being 0% selected, 127 intensity == 50% selected, 255 == 100% selected.
You could modify this with various tools in the Colors menu to get the desired effect.
For instance, your original 'select the shadows' idea could be done by simply 1. Colors->Invert
2. Adjust with Colors->Curves to taste, or threshold using Colors->Threshold if you wanted a hard-edged selection

The above is the advanced method, with more control and sophistication. However, simply setting the 'select by' option to 'Value' for the 'select by color' tool might do what you want.

Hope that helps!

David