RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

setting Dynamic text colour

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

9 of 9 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

setting Dynamic text colour David Selby 11 Nov 13:44
  setting Dynamic text colour David Neary 11 Nov 14:43
   setting Dynamic text colour David Selby 11 Nov 15:00
    setting Dynamic text colour David Neary 11 Nov 15:14
     setting Dynamic text colour David Selby 11 Nov 17:56
    setting Dynamic text colour GSR - FR 11 Nov 19:25
     setting Dynamic text colour David Selby 11 Nov 23:53
      setting Dynamic text colour Sven Neumann 12 Nov 01:15
      setting Dynamic text colour GSR - FR 12 Nov 19:06
David Selby
2003-11-11 13:44:08 UTC (over 20 years ago)

When I use dynamic text, and I need it a certain colour to match in, is there an easier way than matching by eye or adjusting the sliders individually (bit of a nightmare)

Dave Debian Woody, Gimp 1.2.3

PS I know this is an old version, waiting for sarge

David Neary
2003-11-11 14:43:55 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Hi,

David Selby wrote:

When I use dynamic text, and I need it a certain colour to match in, is there an easier way than matching by eye or adjusting the sliders individually (bit of a nightmare)

There's the colour picker... I'm not sure I understand the question.

Dave.

David Selby
2003-11-11 15:00:59 UTC (over 20 years ago)

David Neary wrote:

Hi,

David Selby wrote:

There's the colour picker... I'm not sure I understand the question.

Dave.

The colour picker gives me a RGBA & a hex tripplet for the colour I want. Thats OK but I need to change my text colour for my dynamic text.

In the dynamic text dialog I hit the coloured square, get lots of sliders & a colour circle, I end up moving the selector in the colour circle untill I get as good a match as I can, judged by eye. I then set the text to that colour. Its never perfect.

Is there an easier way of setting the dynamic text colour. It does not have a dialog bog for a hex triplet.

Dave

David Neary
2003-11-11 15:14:48 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Hi,

David Selby wrote:

The colour picker gives me a RGBA & a hex tripplet for the colour I want. Thats OK but I need to change my text colour for my dynamic text.

Ah. I see.

In the dynamic text dialog I hit the coloured square, get lots of sliders & a colour circle, I end up moving the selector in the colour circle untill I get as good a match as I can, judged by eye. I then set the text to that colour. Its never perfect.

Ignore this completely. Create a text layer black on alpha, create a second layer which you fill with the desired colour, and set the layer mode to Screen. Then merge down. Perhaps this isn't ideal, but it's what I use. You can also drag & drop the colour into the text after it's rendered, after checking "Keep transparency".

Is there an easier way of setting the dynamic text colour. It does not have a dialog bog for a hex triplet.

The dynamic text plug-in is something of a disaster. It doesn't use the standard widgets for font or colour selection, and has been deprecated in 1.3. You should use it for rendering text only, and do the colour stuff afterwards. Better for the sanity :)

Cheers,
Dave.

David Selby
2003-11-11 17:56:49 UTC (over 20 years ago)

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">

David Neary wrote:

Hi,

David Selby wrote:

Ah. I see.

Ignore this completely. Create a text layer black on alpha, create a second layer which you fill with the desired colour, and set the layer mode to Screen. Then merge down. Perhaps this isn't ideal, but it's what I use. You can also drag & drop the colour into the text after it's rendered, after checking "Keep transparency".

The dynamic text plug-in is something of a disaster. It doesn't use the standard widgets for font or colour selection, and has been deprecated in 1.3. You should use it for rendering text only, and do the colour stuff afterwards. Better for the sanity :)

Cheers,
Dave.

Many thanks for your helpfull reply. I will give it a go as described :-)
Dave

GSR - FR
2003-11-11 19:25:48 UTC (over 20 years ago)

gimp@pusspaws.net (2003-11-11 at 1400.59 +0000):

Open the normal colour selector instead of the dynamic text one, change there, then drag and drop to the button. Or drag and drop from the toolbox if you already have the colour in it. Or from palettes. Or... you get the idea, try to drag and drop anything that is colour. :]

GSR

David Selby
2003-11-11 23:53:16 UTC (over 20 years ago)

GSR - FR wrote:

gimp@pusspaws.net (2003-11-11 at 1400.59 +0000):

Open the normal colour selector instead of the dynamic text one, change there, then drag and drop to the button. Or drag and drop from the toolbox if you already have the colour in it. Or from palettes. Or... you get the idea, try to drag and drop anything that is colour. :]

GSR

Sven Neumann
2003-11-12 01:15:16 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Hi,

David Selby writes:

I got the idea, I found out I can pick the colour with colour picker, select dynamic text, hit the colour button in the dynamic text dialog & drag the colour directly from the colour picker to the dynamic text colour selector.

There are lots of other things to drag and drop around in The GIMP. Play with it. Sometimes you need to try the middle mouse button as well...

Sven

GSR - FR
2003-11-12 19:06:57 UTC (over 20 years ago)

gimp@pusspaws.net (2003-11-11 at 2253.16 +0000):

I got the idea, I found out I can pick the colour with colour picker, select dynamic text, hit the colour button in the dynamic text dialog & drag the colour directly from the colour picker to the dynamic text colour selector.

Did you tried dragging _to_ the colour button? You should, if you only use the dynamic text colour selector as target, not as tweaker. :]

GSR