RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Extracting text from a cover.

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

6 of 6 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Extracting text from a cover. John Culleton 25 Sep 22:53
  Extracting text from a cover. Jeff Trefftzs 26 Sep 01:16
   Extracting text from a cover. John Culleton 26 Sep 17:43
    Extracting text from a cover. Jeff Trefftzs 26 Sep 18:27
     Extracting text from a cover. John Culleton 01 Oct 01:09
      Extracting text from a cover. Joao S. O. Bueno 01 Oct 18:24
John Culleton
2003-09-25 22:53:33 UTC (over 20 years ago)

I have a cover image in JPEG format from a client. I want to extract just the typeset material (dark blue) from the jpg file, convert to grayscale and use it for the interior title pages. What is the quickest way to do this?

Jeff Trefftzs
2003-09-26 01:16:54 UTC (over 20 years ago)

On Thu, 2003-09-25 at 13:53, John Culleton wrote:

I have a cover image in JPEG format from a client. I want to extract just the typeset material (dark blue) from the jpg file, convert to grayscale and use it for the interior title pages. What is the quickest way to do this?

If the typeset material is the only thing in that color, then select by color might work; but without seeing the thing itself it's hard to predict. Can you post the original image somewhere where we can play with it?

John Culleton
2003-09-26 17:43:29 UTC (over 20 years ago)

I have a cover image in JPEG format from a client. I want to extract just

the typeset material (dark blue) from the jpg file, convert to grayscale and use it for the interior title pages. What is the quickest way to do this?

If the typeset material is the only thing in that color, then select by color might work; but without seeing the thing itself it's hard to predict. Can you post the original image somewhere where we can play with it?

Here is the jpg:
http://wexfordpress.com/Cover3.jpg

Let me know if there is any problem accessing it.

Tahnks for your help!

Jeff Trefftzs
2003-09-26 18:27:45 UTC (over 20 years ago)

On Fri, 2003-09-26 at 08:43, John Culleton wrote:

the typeset material (dark blue) from the jpg file, convert to grayscale and use it for the interior title pages. What is the quickest way to do this?

Here is the jpg:

I tried the simplest thing: select by color, clicking on the text, and it selected the text and only the text. Then I copied the selection and pasted it back on a white background in a new layer. Image/Colors/Desaturate makes it black on white; or you could change the image mode to grayscale. Or you could paste the original selection on a transparent background ... (or even into a new image).

Is this what you were looking for?

John Culleton
2003-10-01 01:09:33 UTC (over 20 years ago)

On Friday 26 September 2003 12:27, Jeff Trefftzs wrote:

On Fri, 2003-09-26 at 08:43, John Culleton wrote:

Here is the jpg:

I tried the simplest thing: select by color, clicking on the text, and it selected the text and only the text. Then I copied the selection and pasted it back on a white background in a new layer. Image/Colors/Desaturate makes it black on white; or you could change the image mode to grayscale. Or you could paste the original selection on a transparent background ... (or even into a new image).

Is this what you were looking for?

Further on htis task: I took the 5.5 x 8.5 image, put up a similarly sized blank next to it, and extracted the text with the color select as you suggested. Because the new image was grayscale the text came out essentially black. That is the good news. The bad news is that the original jpeg was 100dpi and I have jaggies. So I asked the customer to ask the cover artist for a 600dpi or at least 300dpi version of the cover artwork.

Joao S. O. Bueno
2003-10-01 18:24:19 UTC (over 20 years ago)

John Culleton wrote:

Further on htis task: I took the 5.5 x 8.5 image, put up a similarly sized blank next to it, and extracted the text with the color select as you suggested. Because the new image was grayscale the text came out essentially black. That is the good news. The bad news is that the original jpeg was 100dpi and I have jaggies. So I asked the customer to ask the cover artist for a 600dpi or at least 300dpi version of the cover artwork.

I the problem is jaggied text, you always have a few tries to go before starting over -
try scaling up the image (with cubic interpolation. In gimp 1.2 go file->preferences->enviroment->interpolation type, should be easier to find in 1.3), and them blurring the text with Gaussian blur (filters->blur->gaussian blur) of a few pixels, and finetune this blurring with the curves tool (image->colors->curves).

Regards, JS
->