RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Making the color picker tool grab the alpha value

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Making the color picker tool grab the alpha value Joao S. O. Bueno 03 Sep 15:05
  Making the color picker tool grab the alpha value Sven Neumann 05 Sep 12:31
   Making the color picker tool grab the alpha value Joao S. O. Bueno 10 Sep 06:57
    Making the color picker tool grab the alpha value Sven Neumann 10 Sep 13:11
Joao S. O. Bueno
2003-09-03 15:05:26 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Hi all,

As I stated on the answer to Willie Sippel, I liked the idea of the color picker tool to pick de alpha value of a pixel. More specificaaly when c temporarily called using "control" while one is using another paint tool. The alpha value of the pixel or region picked would them set the "opaccity" of the tool one is using in the moment.

I even suggested this as an enhancemnet at bugzilla (bug 121331). However, people need to like the idea for it to be done.

So, what do you think? Should the color picker pick the alpha and set the opacity of the current paint tool, or not?

Regards,

JS ->

Sven Neumann
2003-09-05 12:31:51 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Hi,

"Joao S. O. Bueno" writes:

As I stated on the answer to Willie Sippel, I liked the idea of the color picker tool to pick de alpha value of a pixel. More specificaaly when c temporarily called using "control" while one is using another paint tool. The alpha value of the pixel or region picked would them set the "opaccity" of the tool one is using in the moment.

I even suggested this as an enhancemnet at bugzilla (bug 121331). However, people need to like the idea for it to be done.

So, what do you think? Should the color picker pick the alpha and set the opacity of the current paint tool, or not?

I doubt that this would be useful in general. Actually I can only imagine workflows where I would not want the color-picker to affect the tool opacity. When doing retouching you usually set the brush opacity to some lower value in order to carefully apply some color where needed. While doing this you frequently pick colors from other places in the image. In most cases these places are opaque but you definitely don't want the brush opacity to change to 100%. You want to pick up the color, not the alpha value.

Sven

Joao S. O. Bueno
2003-09-10 06:57:04 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Em Sex 05 Set 2003 7:31 AM, Sven Neumann escreveu:

Hi,

I doubt that this would be useful in general. Actually I can only imagine workflows where I would not want the color-picker to affect the tool opacity. When doing retouching you usually set the brush opacity to some lower value in order to carefully apply some color where needed. While doing this you frequently pick colors from other places in the image. In most cases these places are opaque but you definitely don't want the brush opacity to change to 100%. You want to pick up the color, not the alpha value.

Hmmm...ok...Maybe "there is more than a way to use the GIMP".:-) Of course I would not have suggested that it I worked in the way you describe.

So, here is my idea: we postpone this 121331 for 2.2 , and instead of automatically picking opacity with the color picker, change the GIMP in a way that thre is a current opacity, choosen as the alpha component of the current foreground color, and therefore, updated by the color picker. And in each paint tool, let there be added a checkbox that will make The GIMP use that tool opacity slider value or the Current Opacity, selected with the foreground color.

What do you say Sven? And others, do you like the idea?

This is too much for 2.0 right now, anyway.

Sven

-

Sven Neumann
2003-09-10 13:11:03 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Hi,

So, here is my idea: we postpone this 121331 for 2.2 , and instead of automatically picking opacity with the color picker, change the GIMP in a way that thre is a current opacity, choosen as the alpha component of the current foreground color, and therefore, updated by the color picker. And in each paint tool, let there be added a checkbox that will make The GIMP use that tool opacity slider value or the Current Opacity, selected with the foreground color.

What do you say Sven?

To me this sounds quite complicated and it will certainly introduce a couple of problems like for example
http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=120912

Since you failed to describe a usage scenario so far, I don't see how this change would improve the user experience. So far I can only see how it makes both the code and the user interface more complex.

Sven