RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

scripts newby

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

6 of 6 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

scripts newby imr 28 Aug 18:32
  scripts newby Jeff Trefftzs 29 Aug 05:11
   scripts newby imr 01 Sep 15:31
  scripts newby Sven Neumann 29 Aug 14:00
   scripts newby imr 01 Sep 15:11
  scripts newby Jonathan Bartlett 29 Aug 17:01
imr
2003-08-28 18:32:27 UTC (over 20 years ago)

scripts newby

Hi,
I have a couple of question regarding scripts. If you know of a good site for beginners in gimp scripting, dont hesitate to tell me. I have been to a few of them but didnt find answers for that kind of questions.

First, how can i close the image window i was working on during the script, once i have saved it.
i found image_delete and display_delete fonctions, but the image_delete wont work as long as there is a display opened, so how do I get the display?

Second and last, I have tried to save a picture as jpg with gimp_file_save non interractively. The image was saved with 0 quality, is there a way to set the jpg settings without using file_jpeg_save and without interractivity?

thx

Jeff Trefftzs
2003-08-29 05:11:38 UTC (over 20 years ago)

scripts newby

On Thu, 2003-08-28 at 09:32, imr wrote:

Hi,
I have a couple of question regarding scripts. If you know of a good site for beginners in gimp scripting, dont hesitate to tell me. I have been to a few of them but didnt find answers for that kind of questions.

First, how can i close the image window i was working on during the script, once i have saved it.
i found image_delete and display_delete fonctions, but the image_delete wont work as long as there is a display opened, so how do I get the display?

It's not clear why you would want to do this in the first place. If you're using the script to do something on an image you opened using the Gimp GUI, then you can just close it yourself, since you are interacting with the image anyway. If you are trying to run the script non-interactively, then you can go ahead and use gimp_display_delete to get rid of it after the script completes. (At least I think so. I've never written a script to run in batch mode).

Second and last, I have tried to save a picture as jpg with gimp_file_save non interractively. The image was saved with 0 quality, is there a way to set the jpg settings without using file_jpeg_save and without interractivity?

Why do you want to avoid file_jpeg_save? That is *the* function to use to save a jpeg image, and it allows you to set the quality at anything you desire.

Can you give us more background about what you are trying to do and why you are trying to do it? Possibly I'm misunderstanding your goals.

Sven Neumann
2003-08-29 14:00:11 UTC (over 20 years ago)

scripts newby

Hi,

imr writes:

First, how can i close the image window i was working on during the script, once i have saved it. i found image_delete and display_delete fonctions, but the image_delete wont work as long as there is a display opened, so how do I get the display?

Your script can only delete a display it created itself. When it creates a display using gimp-display-new it is returned a display ID. This ID can be used later to remove the display again using gimp-display-delete.

It should have been saved with the default JPEG settings. IIRC, the default quality used to be 0.75 and was lately changed to 0.85. Are you sure that 0 was used? Which version of GIMP did you use?

Sven

Jonathan Bartlett
2003-08-29 17:01:00 UTC (over 20 years ago)

scripts newby

Why do you need to do this? What's wrong with file_jpeg_save?

Jon

thx

imr
2003-09-01 15:11:43 UTC (over 20 years ago)

scripts newby

On Friday 29 August 2003 14:00, you wrote:

Hi,

Hi, and sorry for the delay in the answer

imr writes:

First, how can i close the image window i was working on during the script, once i have saved it. i found image_delete and display_delete fonctions, but the image_delete wont work as long as there is a display opened, so how do I get the display?

Your script can only delete a display it created itself. When it creates a display using gimp-display-new it is returned a display ID. This ID can be used later to remove the display again using gimp-display-delete.

well, i'm glad i didnt answer you too early, because i would have made us lose some more time.
Reading my script and trying to figure out what I did wrong or what i didnt understand, i must have skipped like one 100 times the nice simple line with the open_display i just saw right now after a nice w-e. So, yes, it works like it should, and yes, i kick me butt. :(

It should have been saved with the default JPEG settings. IIRC, the default quality used to be 0.75 and was lately changed to 0.85. Are you sure that 0 was used? Which version of GIMP did you use?

1.2.3 from mandrake
Since what happens in the above, i'm going to check in what order and how i do this.
The script load an image, load an other one, copy it, create a layer in the first image, paste into the layer, translate the layer, anchor it, display the image, flatten it, save the resulting drawable with gimp_file_save and delete whats left. It works nicely with png.

Sven

thx a lot,
rémi

imr
2003-09-01 15:31:17 UTC (over 20 years ago)

scripts newby

On Friday 29 August 2003 05:11, Jeff Trefftzs wrote:

On Thu, 2003-08-28 at 09:32, imr wrote:

Hi,

Why do you want to avoid file_jpeg_save? That is *the* function to use to save a jpeg image, and it allows you to set the quality at anything you desire.

Can you give us more background about what you are trying to do and why you are trying to do it? Possibly I'm misunderstanding your goals.

i need to open, combine and save images of different types with this script. i need to use it non interractively. I figured that using file_gimp_load and file_gimp_save to do it might save me the pain to do file type detection, at least in the beginning. In the long run, i will do a front end script for it, to add interraction. I'm also using this script as a way of learning gimp scripts and python. But i also really need it for a video editing effect i could not find in any tool i tried.
cheers,
rémi