RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Webpage Help

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

17 of 21 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Webpage Help Daniel Carrera 18 Aug 07:36
  Webpage Help Daniel Carrera 18 Aug 08:02
   Webpage Help Joao S. O. Bueno 18 Aug 16:50
    Webpage Help Daniel Carrera 18 Aug 18:31
  Webpage Help Geoffrey 18 Aug 12:06
  Webpage Help Daniel Carrera 18 Aug 19:15
20030818211011.4e7f6ca7.rco... 07 Oct 20:15
  Webpage Help Daniel Carrera 18 Aug 18:32
3F412449.6060805@WRLee.com 07 Oct 20:15
  Webpage Help Daniel Carrera 18 Aug 21:27
   Webpage Help Joao S. O. Bueno 18 Aug 22:39
   Webpage Help Marc) (A.) (Lehmann 20 Aug 02:05
    Webpage Help Daniel Carrera 20 Aug 03:33
     Webpage Help Marc) (A.) (Lehmann 20 Aug 20:18
     Webpage Help Nat 21 Aug 02:06
      Webpage Help Bill Lee 21 Aug 04:11
       Webpage Help - changed examples Nat 21 Aug 13:48
20030819190130.182FD1017C@l... 07 Oct 20:15
  Webpage Help Seth Burgess 19 Aug 20:59
20030823232601.A1326@localh... 07 Oct 20:15
  Webpage Help Sven Neumann 24 Aug 13:00
Daniel Carrera
2003-08-18 07:36:02 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Webpage Help

Hi all,

I know that this isn't a web-page-help list, but I am totally stuck, I've spent all night trying to solve a problem that shouldn't be there, and there is no appropriate mailing list that is dedicated to this. Since this list has a high concentration of people knowledgable of HTML, I hope someone will be kind enough to help.

I've volunteered to make a website:

http://www.math.umd.edu/~dcarrera/bsm/maybe/

It uses tables.

There is a background image that is split into chunks, each is placed on a table cell. The table has border 0, so all the chunks should fit together nicely...

They don't.

I have searched everywhere, and I have done everything I can think of and there are still spaces between the images which wrecks the entire effect.

Someone in this list must have had this problem before. I hope that someone will be kind enough to point out a solution. I am totally at a loss here. I just don't know what to do at this point. The page SHOULD look fine.

Thank you very much.

Daniel Carrera
2003-08-18 08:02:37 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Webpage Help

One more thing... I have discovered that the problem is caused by the links: ...

For some reason, the tags cause an extra space below the images.

On Mon, Aug 18, 2003 at 01:36:02AM -0400, Daniel Carrera wrote:

Hi all,

I know that this isn't a web-page-help list, but I am totally stuck, I've spent all night trying to solve a problem that shouldn't be there, and there is no appropriate mailing list that is dedicated to this. Since this list has a high concentration of people knowledgable of HTML, I hope someone will be kind enough to help.

It uses tables.

There is a background image that is split into chunks, each is placed on a table cell. The table has border 0, so all the chunks should fit together nicely...

They don't.

I have searched everywhere, and I have done everything I can think of and there are still spaces between the images which wrecks the entire effect.

Someone in this list must have had this problem before. I hope that someone will be kind enough to point out a solution. I am totally at a loss here. I just don't know what to do at this point. The page SHOULD look fine.

Thank you very much.

Geoffrey
2003-08-18 12:06:07 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Webpage Help

Daniel Carrera wrote:

Hi all,

Check out cellpadding and cellspacing for the

It uses tables.

They don't.

Thank you very much.

Joao S. O. Bueno
2003-08-18 16:50:38 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Webpage Help

Just run on exactly that last week. :-)

The solution is easier than you think:

Just add "border=0" to the tags inside the cells.

Regards,

JS ->

On Monday 18 August 2003 3:02 am, Daniel Carrera wrote:

One more thing... I have discovered that the problem is caused by the links: ...

For some reason, the tags cause an extra space below the images.

Hi all,

It uses tables.

They don't.

Thank you very much. --
Daniel Carrera, Math PhD student at UMD. PGP KeyID: 9AF77A88 .-"~~~"-. On the menu of a Swiss restaurant: / O O \ "Our wines leave you nothing to hope for"

: s :

\ \___/ / Sign outside a Hong Kong tailor shop: `-.___.-' "Ladies may have a fit upstairs"

_______________________________________________ Gimp-user mailing list
Gimp-user@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu
http://lists.xcf.berkeley.edu/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user

Daniel Carrera
2003-08-18 18:31:11 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Webpage Help

On Mon, Aug 18, 2003 at 11:50:38AM -0300, Joao S. O. Bueno wrote:

Just run on exactly that last week. :-)

The solution is easier than you think:

Just add "border=0" to the tags inside the cells.

Joao, you absolutely rock! Thank you so very much. I've been banging my head against the wall since yesterday.

Thanks again!

Daniel Carrera
2003-08-18 18:32:39 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Webpage Help

On Mon, Aug 18, 2003 at 09:10:11PM +1000, Owen wrote:

They don't.

What browser are you using, looks ok to me in mozilla

I was on Mozilla too... weird. But well... it's fixed now.

I am a happy man. :)

Thank you all for helping me on a problem that was not really a Gimp problem.

Cheers,

Daniel Carrera
2003-08-18 19:15:18 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Webpage Help

What the heck??!!! It stopped working! It looked great for a while, then I hit "reload" and it got broken up again. Now I can't get it to look nice again.

I think I'll just give up. Instead of breaking up the image I'll just have one large image and use an image map for links. The problem with that is that I won't get the nice rollover I was hoping for. But this is getting silly.

Thank you all for trying to help.

Cheers,

Hi all,

It uses tables.

They don't.

Thank you very much.

Daniel Carrera
2003-08-18 21:27:12 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Webpage Help

Hi Bill,

On Mon, Aug 18, 2003 at 02:08:57PM -0500, Bill Lee wrote:

I have seen instances where an extra space is inserted where it made no sense. I found that many browsers will consider the "eol" after to be a space that must be included in the output. I see from your source code that you have the structure

all on separate lines.

Try putting it all on one (admittedly ugly) line with no extra spaces:

That's really weird... but it seems to work. Another weird thing is that it works on Mozilla, but not on IE. Now, if I do the same for the tags:

It seems to work on both Mozilla and IE.

I'm not confortable with my pages depending on this kind of Voodoo magic. I'll try out a few more browsers before I declare victory.

Now, the amazing thing is that this even even works for Netscape 4.8! (I had given up on supporting it correctly). So I'm hopeful that this will work out.

Thanks again.

Joao S. O. Bueno
2003-08-18 22:39:53 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Webpage Help

On Monday 18 August 2003 4:27 pm, Daniel Carrera wrote: (...)

That's really weird... but it seems to work. Another weird thing is that it works on Mozilla, but not on IE. Now, if I do the same for the tags:

I solve that putting the closing ">" for a tag on a newline, and leaving no white spaces before the next " Thus:

Does the job!

Just to bring it back on topic: Gimp's Perlotine plugin could add the "border='0'" part on the img tags at no cost. If someone will create the patch and correctly post it at the Gimp Bugzilla page in a few hours, everybody will be happy.

Regards,

JS ->

It seems to work on both Mozilla and IE.

I'm not confortable with my pages depending on this kind of Voodoo magic. I'll try out a few more browsers before I declare victory.

Now, the amazing thing is that this even even works for Netscape 4.8! (I had given up on supporting it correctly). So I'm hopeful that this will work out.

Thanks again.

Seth Burgess
2003-08-19 20:59:46 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Webpage Help

Hi,

Perlotine has always set the border attribute - it wouldn't work well without it. Its actually a user adjustable parameter.

I don't think perlotine was being used by this user, or the problem probably would never have occurred.

Happy GIMPing,

Seth

Just to bring it back on topic: Gimp's Perlotine plugin could add the "border='0'" part on the img tags at no cost. If someone will create the patch and correctly post it at the Gimp Bugzilla page in a few hours, everybody will be happy.

Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! SiteBuilder - Free, easy-to-use web site design software
http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
Marc) (A.) (Lehmann
2003-08-20 02:05:30 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Webpage Help

On Mon, Aug 18, 2003 at 03:27:12PM -0400, Daniel Carrera wrote:

That's really weird... but it seems to work.

Actually, to reassure you all, that is totally correct, documented, standardized and expected behaviour.

New lines _are_ whitespace. e.g.

Hello, I am here.

will have space before the "I". No matter how many spaces/newlines/tabs etc. you use, unless you are within pre or similar elements, it's a single "whitespace" that seperates characters.

Daniel Carrera
2003-08-20 03:33:31 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Webpage Help

Oh no, you missed the issue. It was not about a whitespace, it was about creating a NEWLINE.

There was a whole blank line BELOW the image.

Unless... a whitespace could somehow create that newline... maybe it wrapped around?

On Wed, Aug 20, 2003 at 02:05:30AM +0200, Marc A. Lehmann wrote:

On Mon, Aug 18, 2003 at 03:27:12PM -0400, Daniel Carrera wrote:

That's really weird... but it seems to work.

Actually, to reassure you all, that is totally correct, documented, standardized and expected behaviour.

New lines _are_ whitespace. e.g.

Hello, I am here.

will have space before the "I". No matter how many spaces/newlines/tabs etc. you use, unless you are within pre or similar elements, it's a single "whitespace" that seperates characters.

Marc) (A.) (Lehmann
2003-08-20 20:18:45 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Webpage Help

On Tue, Aug 19, 2003 at 09:33:31PM -0400, Daniel Carrera wrote:

Oh no, you missed the issue. It was not about a whitespace, it was about creating a NEWLINE.

Unless... a whitespace could somehow create that newline... maybe it wrapped around?

Yupp. whitespace can be a new line, a space, or something else to seperate, as the browser sees fit.

Nat
2003-08-21 02:06:20 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Webpage Help

Daniel Carrera - Wednesday 20 August 2003 03:33 - about Re: [Gimp-user] Webpage Help:

Hi Daniel,

I've created two html pages, one for Mozilla and one for Konqueror and Netscape, with examples of t test this in IE, but you should be able to adapt the pages.

Hope that helps,

[rest snipped]

Natalie

Bill Lee
2003-08-21 04:11:29 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Webpage Help

Hello, Natalie;

I brought up the two web sites you mentioned using IE 6 and that browser reacts differntly than mozilla or ... whatever.(Why am I not surprised?!? :-)

As an example, the very first example in your _moz example has a blazing white line separating the first row and the second using IE, as opposed to Mozilla where all four cells of the table abut nicely. This was the sample with the

are all on one line, IE
renders the table with NO white line between the rows.

Oh, well......

Regards,

Bill Lee

Nat wrote:

Daniel Carrera - Wednesday 20 August 2003 03:33 - about Re: [Gimp-user] Webpage Help:

Hi Daniel,

I've created two html pages, one for Mozilla and one for Konqueror and Netscape, with examples of t test this in IE, but you should be able to adapt the pages.

Hope that helps,

[rest snipped]

Natalie

Nat
2003-08-21 13:48:11 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Webpage Help - changed examples

Bill Lee - Thursday 21 August 2003 04:11 - about Re: [Gimp-user] Webpage Help:

Hello, Natalie;

I brought up the two web sites you mentioned using IE 6 and that browser reacts differntly than mozilla or ... whatever.(Why am I not surprised?!? :-)

... they _all_ behave different. Even the gaps are not the same size :)

I've done some more testing, changed the pages: One page with the tabledata tag and the preceding or following tag "glued" together, the other page with those tags on separate lines. Replaced all xmp tags by pre tags, they both display the source code in all browsers. Added numbers to the examples.

These are the new pages:

http://www.latinae.demon.nl/img_tables_single.html http://www.latinae.demon.nl/img_tables_multi.html

Results: displays ok in single multi
Mozilla 1, 8, 9 1, 8, 9
Netscape 1, 8, 9 none
Konqueror 1, 5, 8 none
Opera 1, 5, 8, 9 none

Good luck!

[rest snipped]

Natalie

Sven Neumann
2003-08-24 13:00:22 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Webpage Help

Hi,

On Sat, 2003-08-23 at 22:26, Silviu Cojocaru wrote:

The best thing you can do is to run your pages through a validator. There is one at http://www.w3c.org/ and when I am offline I use tidy to solve errors and warnings. Usually solving all warnings and errors tidy points out is a winner ticket for you page(s) to pass the w3c validator tests.

If you go for XHTML, you can easily validate your pages locally using xmllint (provided that you have the DTD available of course).

Sven