RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Tile creation and tile caching

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

mailman.100132.1187823840.1... 07 Oct 20:25
  Tile creation and tile caching rayadurgam sudha 23 Aug 06:39
   Tile creation and tile caching Raphaël Quinet 23 Aug 10:07
rayadurgam sudha
2007-08-23 06:39:32 UTC (over 16 years ago)

hello every one,
can any one tell me when a map is tiled, what is the extent of zoom we can specify which does not create any problem for us as developers and users to view the map. please reply to this.. its urgent

sudha.

gimp-developer-request@lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU wrote: Send Gimp-developer mailing list submissions to gimp-developer@lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU

To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit https://lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU/mailman/listinfo/gimp-developer or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to gimp-developer-request@lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU

You can reach the person managing the list at gimp-developer-owner@lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU

When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific than "Re: Contents of Gimp-developer digest..."

Today's Topics:

1. Re: Is it too late to send a l10n patch for GIMP 2.4.0? (Michael Natterer)
2. Re: New option "Use custom quality settings" for JPEG files (Rapha?l Quinet)
3. Re: GSOC (was: brush manager) (Rapha?l Quinet) 4. Re: Extending GIMP Plugins (Amit Kumar Saha) 5. Re: Extending GIMP Plugins (Michael Schumacher) 6. Re: Extending GIMP Plugins (Rapha?l Quinet) 7. Re: Extending GIMP Plugins (David Marrs) 8. Re: Extending GIMP Plugins (Rapha?l Quinet)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Message: 1 Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 21:56:43 +0200 From: Michael Natterer
Subject: Re: [Gimp-developer] Is it too late to send a l10n patch for GIMP 2.4.0?
To: "Choi, Ji-Hui"

Cc: gimp-developer@lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU Message-ID:
Content-Type: text/plain

On Wed, 2007-08-22 at 10:40 +0900, Choi, Ji-Hui wrote:

Hi. I'm new in gimp development.

few day ago, I checked gimp 2.4 rc1 source, and then I noticed the l10n file for korean was so terrible. it means translation was not apply almostly.

so I contacted our tongue translator, and got an answer. "it's for you." :-( BTW, so I fixed, reassigned, etc..

now I wonder, can I apply this patch on 2.4.0? if I'm not late, where and what do I send? I worked with po file using poedit on windows XP

please, give me advice

It is never too late for translations, however all translations of GNOME SVN modules are handled by the gnome-i18n mailing list. Please contact them, somebody there will give you the right advice or sommit your patches.

ciao, --mitch

------------------------------

Message: 2 Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 22:55:25 +0200 From: Rapha?l Quinet
Subject: Re: [Gimp-developer] New option "Use custom quality settings" for JPEG files
To: gimp-developer@lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU Message-ID:
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8

On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 10:20:48 -0400, saulgoode@flashingtwelve.brickfilms.com wrote:

Quoting Robert L Krawitz :

The problem is that "custom tables" seems very confusing -- it sounds like the user's going to be asked to input something she knows nothing about. One could argue that "Use existing image quality settings" [...]

My only comment on this issue is that the term "image" is consistently employed within the GIMP vocabulary to mean the "in-memory" copy of the picture being edited [...]

I think that using the terms "original image" would avoid this problem.

We are basically left with two options:

1) "Use custom quality settings" - Hard to understand for most users - Technically correct description - No need to change the code; this is what we have now

2) "Use quality settings from original image" - Easier to understand for most users - Correct description for the most common usage scenario - Requires some small changes to the code - Breaks the string freeze before 2.4

It seems that going for (2) would be better for the users but would annoy some translators. But I got several requests to go for something like option (2), so I would like to know if it is worth breaking the string freeze. Opinions?

-Rapha?l

P.S.: please do not mention bikesheds.

Message: 3 Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 23:24:10 +0200 From: Rapha?l Quinet
Subject: Re: [Gimp-developer] GSOC (was: brush manager) To: gimp-developer@lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU Message-ID:
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8

On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 19:28:13 +0200, Karine Delvare wrote:

There was a 2006 Google Summer of Code project for this. If it had been completed, there would be a brush manager in GIMP 2.4, but it wasn't (the student is not to blame, he focused on something completely different instead).

Maybe the same project can be proposed for the 2008 GSOC?

Side note regarding the Google Summer of Code: let's hope that we can be selected in 2008. Although we do not know the reasons why other projects were selected instead of GIMP for GSoC 2007, it seems that most GSoC projects focus on "quick wins". It is likely that we could improve our chances of being selected next year by working on the following things:
- Having at least one stable GIMP release per year. - Merging GSoC results faster in the main codebase (if appropriate) and advertising them as new features on our web site, etc. - Being better prepared for GSoC by focusing on a smaller set of ideas but with better descriptions of their scope, etc. - Making it easier for newcomers to contribute to the core. I admit that I do not know how to do that. Maybe we could start by providing a good overview and top-down description of how GIMP works internally? But I don't think I would even be able to write that myself...

-Rapha?l

Message: 4 Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 23:02:49 +0530 From: "Amit Kumar Saha"
Subject: Re: [Gimp-developer] Extending GIMP Plugins To: gimp-developer@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu Message-ID:

Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1

Hello all,

Here is another way I thought I could give some form of "extensibility" to a plugin user. Say, that I want my plugin to be a single entry point to all the Image processing operations possible with GIMP. What I do is display all the GIMP functions to the Plugin user via the Plugin User Interface(GUI). Then the user selects the operation that is to be performed and the plugin sets off to do the necessary job.

I am assuming here that the functions of the GIMP that I list for the user is only those for which there exists a API entry in the libGimp. In the background when the user selects a particular operation, the corresponding API function is called. This is of course an assumption to simplify the thought process.

Am i thinking in a way that could possibly be implemented? or is the word "extensible" remotely applicable to my idea?

Waiting for your comments!

Raphaël Quinet
2007-08-23 10:07:15 UTC (over 16 years ago)

On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 21:39:32 -0700 (PDT), rayadurgam sudha wrote:

hello every one,
can any one tell me when a map is tiled, what is the extent of zoom we can specify which does not create any problem for us as developers and users to view the map. please reply to this.. its urgent

Please try rephrasing your question and providing more context. As your question stands now, it is very difficult for anyone to provide a meaningful answer. What do you mean by "when a map is tiled"? What kind of problems are you afraid of? Who are the users? Any GIMP users? Users of a specific program? What is this "map" anyway? What are you trying to achieve and why is it urgent?

Oh, and please, please avoid quoting the whole mailing list digest in your message. It seems to be totally unrelated to your question and it is just a waste of bandwidth. If you ask better questions, you will probably get better answers.

-Raphaël